Board Prep Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers,

I'm currently an OMSI (created thread in Allopathic because it seems to generate more traffic) and I'm looking to make some sense out of board prep this early on. My school is definitely pushing us to start already, and they have provided us with a bunch of Kaplan resources (medEssentials & Level 1 H.Y. & Level 1 plus USMLE Q-bank). I am not sure what to do with them. I also have a copy of First Aid and Anki (broceph deck). I'd like to get the ball rolling on board studying (for the COMLEX & USMLE), please advise.

Some background: I just finished a "biochemistry/molecular bio" class and am now going to begin infectious diseases/microbiology. At my school, we start systems towards the end of the first year, I believe my next class is blood & lymph. So far I am doing average in my classes, but I'm haunted by my very low MCAT score and would not like to do same for the boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recommend you the Anki deck if it fits your style of learning and leave it at that. Don't ruin your FA by annotating garbage the school teaches but isn't board testable. Only add things like mnemonics or something to clarify a concept. Use Pathoma for each each system you cover. Worry about boards/qbank until after Cardio.

Oh and throw away Kaplan. It's garbage. Just do the minimum the school forces on you.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend you the Anki deck if it fits your style of learning and leave it at that. Don't ruin your FA by annotating garbage the school teaches but isn't board testable. Only add things like mnemonics or something to clarify a concept. Use Pathoma for each each system you cover. Worry about boards/qbank until after Cardio.

Oh and throw away Kaplan. It's garbage. Just do the minimum the school forces on you.
Could you expand on what you mean by "board testable?" First time I've heard that term and unsure of the difference between what is taught at school and fair game for boards.

Could you expand on what you mean by "board testable?" First time I've heard that term and unsure of the difference between what is taught at school and fair game for boards.
Basically know what's in first aid and don't add onto it other stuff you learned in school (e.g. extra side-effects to drugs).