Board review Q&A Books/ Board review books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcfaddens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From experience (those who have passed the boards or have taken them) what are the best or preferred books (not review courses) that you used to study? I’m not sure if this topic has been addressed in the past (if so yaah just give me the link) but taking in to account your learning style and the material presented in the exam what would be your recommendations? Anyone else wants to chime in please feel free from what good or bad purchases you have made.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there really are specific books that are aimed at board review, unfortunately. No Kaplan-type question and answer multiple choice books. I wish.

Some people use the Mais Clinical Compendium for CP + Osler notes for some topics (especially blood bank). AP from what recent boards-takers tell me you can do well on by having a lot of experience looking at slides and knowing what things looks like.

AP:
Questions:
Sternberg question book (most board like questions IMO)
Lefkowitz question book
Old RISE exams
Text:
Essentials of AP
Baby DeMay
Bethesda Pap book
There is a good small spiral bound book for forensics, cant remember name
Flip through Rosai
Robbins Atlas (A separate book from Robbins)
Utah path site
John Hopkins Cytology tutorial

CP:
Questions:
Henry question book (don't panic that you don't know a ton of stuff in the main body of the book, the multiple choice questions in the back are much more reasonable)
BB Guy website questions
Old RISE exams
Osler question book (I used a really old one, but it was helpful)
Text:
Mais Clinical Compendium
Mais Clinical Compendium
Mais Clinical Compendium
Mais Clinical Compendium
Mais Clinical Compendium
BB Guy notes
Osler notes for a change of pace
Jones Clinical Pearls to get a little more detail and different perspective on topics
Mais Clinical Compendium
Mais Clinical Compendium
Mais Clinical Compendium
Did I mention "Mais Clinical Compendium?"
Back of Koneman (Ignore all the strips)
Basic Heme atlas

BTW, if I didnt mention it before, definitely get Mais Clinical Compendium

What I do NOT recommend:
Henry textbook
Teitz
any similar textbook
Rosai question book

And don't forget, get a copy of Mais Clinical Compendium!

Members don't see this ad :)
The reviews of Henry's Q&A review book on Amazon were not good... it sounds like it is fill in the blank, as opposed to multiple choice? Too much time. So there are no good multiple choice CP Q&A resources???? That's a bummer.

For AP:

Lefkowitz question book
Osler notes
Baby DeMay
Bethesda Pap book
Cytopathology Review Guide (Holladay)

Linking to this under the "Path Books Info" post in the FAQ sticky. It'd be nice to compile it, but I haven't the time lately, unfortch. Anyone who wants to can go ahead and PM me your work to include in the FAQ.

By the way what are people out there using for cytogenetics?