board scores and fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stuDOc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

When applying for fellowships, do the directors use USMLE scores and COMLEX scores, or scores for the physics, written and oral boards for screening applicants? A combination of the above??

Much obliged

Members don't see this ad.

Recommendations become more and more important as you advance in your career. A few good words from a prominent faculty member at your program may be the most important part of a succesful fellowship application. Research and plans to enter academic radiology may be important at research institutions. Test scores are close to insignificant as long as you pass. Fellowships are quite easy to obtain even at prestigious institutions at this time.

I applied to 15 body imaging fellowship programs. Only Mayo and Michigan asked for my board scores.
I agree with too that good fellowships are easy to get right now (they were 4 years ago, at least).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I hope fellowships will be as easy to obtain in 5 years as they are now.

All the best,
stu

So does this mean that I can titrate my efforts to just barely pass Step 3?

(asking with a pathetic hopeful look on my face)

:confused:

So does this mean that I can titrate my efforts to just barely pass Step 3?
I was applying from Canada and hadn't even written step 3 when I applied for fellowships. They didn't care about my scores. They just wanted me to write step 3 so that there would be no licensing issues.