Board Scores and Residency Matches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. BDix

DMU Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if pod schools make public thier board scores/percent over national average, or precent of first choice for residencies? Also, to go into a three residency, what all goes into being selected into that? Thanks guys, just had a couple questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. BDix said:
Does any one know if pod schools make public thier board scores/percent over national average, or precent of first choice for residencies? Also, to go into a three residency, what all goes into being selected into that? Thanks guys, just had a couple questions.

While some of the schools don't like to bring a lot of attention to their board scores, most will give you the information if you contact them directly. I don't know of a site that contains all of the schools currents statistics. As far as getting a good residency there are a couple of selection factors. Grades, school attended, CV are all important. I think the most important factor is being able to visit a program you are interested as an extern for a month or more during your fourth year. If you want to make sure you'll have the best shot at a great program you are interested in then be sure to ask any school you may apply to how the fourth year is structured. Some schools allow you to spend a month at each of the programs you are interested in and it is basically an extended interview.

gustydoc said:
While some of the schools don't like to bring a lot of attention to their board scores, most will give you the information if you contact them directly. I don't know of a site that contains all of the schools currents statistics. As far as getting a good residency there are a couple of selection factors. Grades, school attended, CV are all important. I think the most important factor is being able to visit a program you are interested as an extern for a month or more during your fourth year. If you want to make sure you'll have the best shot at a great program you are interested in then be sure to ask any school you may apply to how the fourth year is structured. Some schools allow you to spend a month at each of the programs you are interested in and it is basically an extended interview.

Essentially all Podiatry schools have one month long externships incorporated into their fourth year curriculum. There are schools such as Scholl where students would start their one month externships in the second half of their third year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. BDix said:

I do not know of any published resource that show the percentage of students at a particular school getting their first choice residency. During the match process, the information that the school gets from CASPR is whether or not the students matched and what programs that they are matched to if the student had matched. It does not indicate whether the program was the student is the first choice or not. Of course, it is possible that the school may do their own survey by asking their own students.

In regards to selection criterias for three year residency, gustydoc did touch on a few factors. Many programs have GPA minimums. Hence, your school grades are rather important. CV is important since it reveals your extra curricular activites, research, etc.... Some programs like that students are involved in research. As for what school you attend, it may or may not play a role in getting a three year residency program. If you are applying for a residency program that traditionally take students from a certain school, then attending that particular school would increase your chances of getting into the program. However, most of the top residency programs in the country have taken students from all schools. In general, most of top 10 students from any school would usually get into a decent three year residency program. Gustydoc also mentioned about the externship performance and visitation of residency programs that a student did not get to extern at. As gustydoc pointed out, externships are month long interviews. Visitation of residency programs also show your interest in the residency program. The performance on residency interview is also important. You will be surprise to see that some of the favorite students (based on their externship performance) do not get into a residency program due to their poor performance during the residency interviews.

I found out some info...

board scores part 1 2005 pass rate

NYCPM: 88% pass out of 72 students
California: 53% pass
DMU: 1 failed the rest passed

that is all that I know. if I get more info I will send it.

I think it is important for this info to be shared.

dpmgrad said:
I do not know of any published resource that show the percentage of students at a particular school getting their first choice residency. During the match process, the information that the school gets from CASPR is whether or not the students matched and what programs that they are matched to if the student had matched. It does not indicate whether the program was the student is the first choice or not. Of course, it is possible that the school may do their own survey by asking their own students.

In regards to selection criterias for three year residency, gustydoc did touch on a few factors. Many programs have GPA minimums. Hence, your school grades are rather important. CV is important since it reveals your extra curricular activites, research, etc.... Some programs like that students are involved in research. As for what school you attend, it may or may not play a role in getting a three year residency program. If you are applying for a residency program that traditionally take students from a certain school, then attending that particular school would increase your chances of getting into the program. However, most of the top residency programs in the country have taken students from all schools. In general, most of top 10 students from any school would usually get into a decent three year residency program. Gustydoc also mentioned about the externship performance and visitation of residency programs that a student did not get to extern at. As gustydoc pointed out, externships are month long interviews. Visitation of residency programs also show your interest in the residency program. The performance on residency interview is also important. You will be surprise to see that some of the favorite students (based on their externship performance) do not get into a residency program due to their poor performance during the residency interviews.

:thumbup:

krabmas said:
I found out some info...

board scores part 1 2005 pass rate

NYCPM: 88% pass out of 72 students
California: 53% pass
DMU: 1 failed the rest passed

that is all that I know. if I get more info I will send it.

I think it is important for this info to be shared.

Damnn! 53% passing rate for California??!? I should reconsider applying there

Cheetos said:
Damnn! 53% passing rate for California??!? I should reconsider applying there

I heard that DMU had 100% placement on thier desired residency. Is that true?

Dr. BDix said:
I heard that DMU had 100% placement on thier desired residency. Is that true?

No, I know of two students that had to scramble this year. They had a 100% placement in PM&S-36.

Oh ok thanks...I knew it was something like that...Im glad they had a 100% on pm&s 36 because i think thats what i want to do!