board scores and specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribcrackindoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D.O. student who just scored 69th % on Step 1. Are there any specialties which I could not get into because of this? Are there any that I could definitely get into? What are my options? How have I limited myself with this score???
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With a score of 69%, I think you are probably limited to specialties such as fellatio and cunnilingus.

Q, DO

I don't see any limitations with that score. It is on the low side for the more competitive residencies out there. However, you can more than make up for it in other areas of your transcript...continue to work hard and I'm sure things will turn in your favor if you want it bad enough

*sigh*

Okay fine if you want a serious answer...

Atleast you're above average. That sets you *somewhat* apart. Don't give up if you want optho/derm/ortho/EM/ENT, etc... Just know that you'll have a tough road ahead of you.

Dominate on your elective auditions, get some kick ass letters, and you'll be in the same applicant league as people scoring 2 standard deviations above you.

As well as people with better oral skills.

Q, DO

Oh I get it, Quinn. 69 dude. Rock on.

Atleast you're above average. That sets you *somewhat* apart. Don't give up if you want optho/derm/ortho/EM/ENT, etc... Just know that you'll have a tough road ahead of you.
is EM really in the same rank of competitiveness as derm ?

69th percentile is a decent score. It will make you competitive for many quality programs. Of course, extremely competitive residencies such as derm, ortho, and optho have higher average scores. However, the boards are only one aspect of getting into a great program. Another big factor is who you know. That is why we do clinical electives at hospitals to showcase ourselves. Show eagerness to learn during clinical rotation. Also, get a "head" start:) on step 2! There's a lot to swallow on step 2:D.

More importantly, congratulations on passing COMLEX step 1!

hey any DOs from NYCOM match into MD ophtho spots this past year?

EM definitely isn't as competitive as derm. Actually nothing is as competitive as derm. EM is considered moderately competitive overall as a specialty.

I don't want to start the "my field is tougher to get than your field" argument but I will at least throw my opinion out there (for what it's worth). After derm and most of the surgical specialties, EM is generally more competitive than Anesth, FM, Peds, obgyn, and IM in no particular order. And I think you will see anesth become much more competitive as early as this year since it is on the rebound. Plus, when you consider the fact that the above poster is a DO applicant, the road gets alittle harder still.

The subject has been discussed here at length before but basically the large majority of allopathic EM residencies will consider DO apps, a few less will consider them equally, and a few less still will rank a DO app above an MD app with all else being equal, and the rest won't rank them regardless. That's just the way it is, right or wrong. I think Quinn is pointing out that the task will be that much tougher without a really strong board score.

Originally posted by drvlad2004
There is one who matched into optho (AOA residency). Her name is ******. She matched on her second attempt. She just completed her internship at ****and is now doing ortho residency at *******.

Ophtho or ortho?

NB: This post has also been edited for the same reasons listed above.

Originally posted by edinOH
EM definitely isn't as competitive as derm. Actually nothing is as competitive as derm. EM is considered moderately competitive overall as a specialty.

I don't want to start the "my field is tougher to get than your field" argument but I will at least throw my opinion out there (for what it's worth). After derm and most of the surgical specialties, EM is generally more competitive than Anesth, FM, Peds, obgyn, and IM in no particular order. And I think you will see anesth become much more competitive as early as this year since it is on the rebound. Plus, when you consider the fact that the above poster is a DO applicant, the road gets alittle harder still.

The subject has been discussed here at length before but basically the large majority of allopathic EM residencies will consider DO apps, a few less will consider them equally, and a few less still will rank a DO app above an MD app with all else being equal, and the rest won't rank them regardless. That's just the way it is, right or wrong. I think Quinn is pointing out that the task will be that much tougher without a really strong board score.

That last paragraph is key. You know, we shoudl just cut and paste that paragraph and use it as our "tag-line" or "signature-line" or whatever in the EM threads...

The point really is... would you NOT apply to EM programs because you scored a 69%, a 40%, a 50%, a 80%, a 20%, on your boards? There is NOTHING you can do now about your board scores, be they great or poopy. Just do elective rotations, dominate, get some good LORs, and apply to as many places as possible.

I REALLY should get back to reading "The Art of 12-Lead EKG Interpretations" by Garcia. By far the best EKG book in the land.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I REALLY should get back to reading "The Art of 12-Lead EKG Interpretations" by Garcia. By far the best EKG book in the land.

I bought it on your recommendation, I agree, got a classmate to buy it, and am trying to convince the PD to snag it for the whole team.

Strong work.

Originally posted by Apollyon
I bought it on your recommendation, I agree, got a classmate to buy it, and am trying to convince the PD to snag it for the whole team.

Strong work.

Damn. I mentioned that like a YEAR ago... you and I have been on this site way too damn long (I broke the 800 post mark, man I don't know how the hell that happened). Since I'm starting CCU tomorrow, I figger I should brush up on the AMI chapter. That chapter is over 70 pages long! *yawn* Which is why I keep posting on SDN.

Actually when I was interviewing for EM residencies, a lot of the attendings/PDs/APDs/etc had the book on their bookshelf...

Apparently, Dr. Garcia can't practice medicine anymore (something wrong with his back or legs or something) so he teaches EKG readings ot students. One of my fellow interns had him for HARVEY Lab at Miami, she said he was awesome... she spent the whole month learning BBBs!!!!!!!!!!

Q, DO

hey, quinn..how's your residency going thus far?? I haven't seen you since graduation when everybody was dying from heat stroke outside the doors of the NCRC...isn't Chirag doing IM at USF?? do you see him at all?

did you get your SL55 AMG yet? or is that going to be your first purchase after you sign a contract after residency?:)

My residency so far has been pretty sweet to me... tomorrow is the big day, though... my first day in the CCU as well as on call, and I'll be the HO for all of TGH (thankfully no admissions, just codes and ward calls).

July was ED orientation month, so we did some 8-10 hr shifts in the ED, about 15 of them, with lots of lectures thrown in. Piece of cake, I really enjoyed it and miss the ED already.

I saw Chirag in the MICU yesterday, it was his second to last day and it looks like he needed it, he looked pretty burnt out.

Q, DO

Someone posted on another thread that you need at least a 620 COMLEX for rads. Does anyone know if this is true?

thanks

Doubt that can be an accurate number. Even if you scored 619 would you not apply to rads? You'll obviously need a good COMLEX score (and the 200-800 number changes %age wise every time the test is taken... so that's useless). Try taking the USMLE and dominating on that to match into MD Rads.

Q< DO

JPFL75 and QuinnNSU,
Thanks for your encouragement

I don't think that you really "scored in the 69th %". First of all, there is nowhere on the score report that tells you what percentile you scored. Second of all, if you are referring to the 2 digit score that you see on your score sheet, that is not a percentile, and you would have needed at least a 75 to pass. Everyone knows that the 3 digit score is the score everyone is able to "interpret", so if you want advice, I'd reccomend posting your 3 digit score if you really have one.

the COMLEX osteopathic boards DO report a percentile score.

Originally posted by ckent
I don't think that you really "scored in the 69th %". First of all, there is nowhere on the score report that tells you what percentile you scored. Second of all, if you are referring to the 2 digit score that you see on your score sheet, that is not a percentile, and you would have needed at least a 75 to pass. Everyone knows that the 3 digit score is the score everyone is able to "interpret", so if you want advice, I'd reccomend posting your 3 digit score if you really have one.

Ckent, ribcrackindoc is talking about COMLEX, not the USMLE. COMLEX does report percentile score, unlike USMLE.

Originally posted by JPFL75
hey any DOs from NYCOM match into MD ophtho spots this past year?

Someone from the class 2002 matched into North Shore Manhasset for opthalmology. Check out the academic website.

That's correct, the 69th percentile (542) was my COMLEX score. I considered taking the USMLE, but I'm military so there's really no need to take it. For COMLEX, average is 500, SD is 79, and 400 is failing, which means that around 12% of everyone taking the test has to fail. Anyways, anyone else have an opinion on which specialties I should give up on????