Board Scores for matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJNYY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting on SDN so please forgive me for likely starting a new thread to ask an age old question...
What step 1 scores do mid-high tier level gen surg programs like to see?

Here's what I know:
1) 2011 NRMP Average Step 1 score for US students matching in gen surg = 227
2) 2012 National Average Step 1 score, 224
3) My step 1 score (1st attempt in 2013), 239

I know my score should be good enough to get past screening (or so I hope) at most places, but I heard a nasty little rumor from a fellow classmate at my school who stated that a general surgery chief resident (allegedly) told him that the average Step 1 score of the general surgery interns at our institution was 250.

Now I know better than to name drop but this particular institution happens to be smack dab in the center of Ohio (aka the BUCKEYE state... ya feel me?). So I suppose my questions to you are:

1) Does 250 seem like the average score of General Surgery residents at an institution that doesn't even crack the USNWR honor roll list or has this poor med student mixed general surgery with plastic surgery?
2) What kind of programs is a 239 good for these days anyway?

PS: I'll be meeting with one of the chairs of surgery at my school soon to discuss ways to bolster my application in other areas but I wanted some feedback from the SDN world

Thanks ya'll! :)

Members don't see this ad.