Board Scores for MD Vs. DO Anesthesiology or General Surg.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1shot1opportunity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what are the board scores for MD Vs. DO going into Anesthesiology or General Surgery? I haven't found anything!

Do you think this will change after the merger?

Members don't see this ad.

Google "nrmp charting outcomes"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But in regards to competitiveness. Would a MD applicant need say a 232 as oppose to a DO applicant of 242?

I had a 250+ and I had some MD friends with 230s who got invites at anesthesia programs that rejected me. It really depends on the program how they view DOs. But, in general, you need higher scores than your MD counterparts. An average score (225) is good enough to match anesthiology somewhere as a DO.

I had a 250+ and I had some MD friends with 230s who got invites at anesthesia programs that rejected me. It really depends on the program how they view DOs. But, in general, you need higher scores than your MD counterparts. An average score (225) is good enough to match anesthiology somewhere as a DO.

I did not see a USMLE score for DOs applying to anesthesiology residency. I just see the comlex score.

Were you able to match in anesthesiology?

How friendly are pain fellowships for DOs?

How friendly are pain fellowships for DOs?

Yeah, I matched. I applied to 60something residencies and got 40something invites. Matched my #2. I applied to 7 critical care fellowships, got 7 interviews, and accepted a position at my #1.

In 2017, of the 316 ACGME pain fellowship spots 47 went to DOs. I think it's fine to match pain as a DO. I personally know 4 DOs who wanted pain and they all matched this year.

Yeah, I matched. I applied to 60something residencies and got 40something invites. Matched my #2. I applied to 7 critical care fellowships, got 7 interviews, and accepted a position at my #1.

In 2017, of the 316 ACGME pain fellowship spots 47 went to DOs. I think it's fine to match pain as a DO. I personally know 4 DOs who wanted pain and they all matched this year.

Congratulations! What would you say a USMLE score is needed for DO students need to match?

Congratulations! What would you say a USMLE score is needed for DO students need to match?

Hah, thanks. Im actually quitting medicine because I don't like it very much.

Anyway, an average usmle score, around a 225, is good enough to match anesthesiology somewhere as a DO. I could not tell you about general surgery. One of my classmates matched general surgery at a university program on the east coast with a 230 and another matched an ACGME community program with a 700 comlex with no usmle score.

Hah, thanks. Im actually quitting medicine because I don't like it very much.

Anyway, an average usmle score, around a 225, is good enough to match anesthesiology somewhere as a DO. I could not tell you about general surgery. One of my classmates matched general surgery at a university program on the east coast with a 230 and another matched an ACGME community program with a 700 comlex with no usmle score.
Why are you quitting? Actually shadow a solo primary care DO today, and she complained all day long about not being able to meet or keep her business afloat. Are you leaving due to financial reason or because you no longer like medicine.

Last edited:
Why are you quitting? Actually shadow a solo primary care DO today, and she complain all day long about not being able to meet or keep her business afloat. Are you leaving due to financial reason or because you no longer like medicine.

Not financial reasons. Every job I've been offered has been >$350k pre fellowship. I just don't like it very much. At the end of the day I feel like I do more harm than good. I feel like we waste a tremendous amount of resources trying to "save" someone who is going to die in the near future or already has a terrible quality of life to begin with. I also feel like our interventions often end up decreasing patients' quality of life instead of improving it. Also, medicine is more subjective and less of a science than I thought. It just bothers me. But that's me. I'm weird; I know. You'll probably like it just fine.

Not financial reasons. Every job I've been offered has been >$350k pre fellowship. I just don't like it very much. At the end of the day I feel like I do more harm than good. I feel like we waste a tremendous amount of resources trying to "save" someone who is going to die in the near future or already has a terrible quality of life to begin with. I also feel like our interventions often end up decreasing patients' quality of life instead of improving it. Also, medicine is more subjective and less of a science than I thought. It just bothers me. But that's me. I'm weird; I know. You'll probably like it just fine.
I thought osteopathic medicine takes "Quality of Life" into account. Or are you a MD?

I thought osteopathic medicine takes "Quality of Life" into account. Or are you a MD?

Hah, you're living up to your name. I'm a DO trained primarily by MDs.

Reactions: 3 users