board scores needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wylie313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im strongly considering GI and im coming from a foreign medical school. ive searched these pages for some numbers but couldnt find anything substantial. what type of step one score would be needed to be considered competitive. i know this is a highly sought after specialty, so im just trying to gauge what i will need to hit on step 1. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends. University programs usually ask for 85+ and no second attempts.

GI is a subspecialty of IM. You need a score decent enough to get you into a US internal medicine residency (i.e. barely passing), though if you want to do GI you may be better off at an academic center.

In general your Step 1 score will not matter much with regards to fellowship placement. The things that will matter for fellowship placement are your performance and recommendations from residench and research. You can get into a GI fellowship from any IM residency, you just need to distinguish yourself in that residency program.