Board scores vs. Step scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bweatherly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take Boards for each of my classes upon completion. I am an M1 and so have taken a board in Gross, Developmental, Biochem, and Histo. I was wondering if there is any correlation between board scores and Step I scores. National average is 500 and I have scored between 610 and 790, I was wondering if there was indication there of what I should expect from my Step I capabilities?

P.s.... I full understand that phys/path/pharm/micro are all MUCH more weighted on the step

Members don't see this ad.

As you said, those are the most low-yield topics on the exam, but the NBME subject exams are supposed to be similar to the questions on the actual USMLE.

So in theory of course... if those scores continue, they are typically at least 1 standard deviation over the mean of 500... so if the mean Step I is a 221 with a standard deviation I could actually expect to possibly make over a 242? Or if I pull up my "major course" subjects next year to the 700s on boards expect a potential 263? And so forth...

Sure, assuming you can recall all of the information when you took the subject exams on the board date.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in theory of course... if those scores continue, they are typically at least 1 standard deviation over the mean of 500... so if the mean Step I is a 221 with a standard deviation I could actually expect to possibly make over a 242? Or if I pull up my "major course" subjects next year to the 700s on boards expect a potential 263? And so forth...

If you're a standard deviation above on all of the individual subjects, you're almost certainly more than one standard deviation above in the combined test.

Those are awesome scores, and since the NBME's are reportedly composed of retired Step 1 questions, you should be just fine for the real thing, assuming you keep your methods together.

i remember seeing one post here where someone posted 4-5 NBME shelf scores and then their step 1 score and the step score was slightly lower/ about the same (dont quite remember - sorry) as the avg... that being said, it was for the higher yield subjects like micro, path, biochem, etc.

but still, you're shelf scores are great man.