MD Boards and Beyond v/s Kaplan videos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumber007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is better to study for USMLE Step 1? I prefer short and precise videos over long and detailed to basic concepts. Thanks for your help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which one is better to study for USMLE Step 1? I prefer short and precise videos over long and detailed to basic concepts. Thanks for your help guys!
I think you just answered your own question: B&B because B&B videos are "short and precise" in comparison to Kaplan videos which are "over long and detailed."

Plus B&B is just better anyway from what I've seen.

Reactions: 2 users
Give me Lionel Raymon or give me death.

But on a more serious note I've never seen any B&B videos, just love the guy who did the old Kaplan pharm material. No clue if it's different now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been a while, but Kaplan's material has always been overly extensive IMO.

Does anybody think that I'd be missing out on any info if I go B&B instead of kaplan? And if so, does that info actually matter?

I heard Dr Raymon (Kaplan 2010) was/is gold for pharm. Based on what I've heard from other people, Sketchy Pharm is hit or miss and/or takes way too long.

Thanks for the quick reply.
So besides the pharm, would you say that there's not much being lost if I went B&B instead?

I heard Dr Raymon (Kaplan 2010) was/is gold for pharm. Based on what I've heard from other people, Sketchy Pharm is hit or miss and/or takes way too long.

Where are people getting access to/finding these Raymon pharm videos?

Thanks for the quick reply.
So besides the pharm, would you say that there's not much being lost if I went B&B instead?
BB is awesome man. I've seen some of the pathology Kaplan vids, and they are just not the same quality as BB. I haven't seen the pharm Kaplan so can't comment. But BB kills it for basically every subject I watched.

Where are people getting access to/finding these Raymon pharm videos?
I think those should be part of the kaplan subscription. If not then its probably on file sharing sites if you want to go down that road.

BB is awesome man. I've seen some of the pathology Kaplan vids, and they are just not the same quality as BB. I haven't seen the pharm Kaplan so can't comment. But BB kills it for basically every subject I watched.
Even anatomy/embryo/histo? Cuz I really sucked when it came to those.

I think those should be part of the kaplan subscription. If not then its probably on file sharing sites if you want to go down that road.

Even anatomy/embryo/histo? Cuz I really sucked when it came to those.
Learn anatomy from UWorld and FA, honestly. BB will essentially take you thru the anatomy in FA but not much more. And that's a good thing. Anatomy and step1 is a weird thing. You can absolutely get 250+ without being great at anatomy. And you can absolutely ruin a shot at 250 by wasting too much time on (low yield) anatomy. Certain anatomical concepts are high yield, those are the ones in FA/UW. For everything else, just pray and rely on MS1 knowledge.

Histo is also low yield. It mainly shows up in context of Pathology, and that's where Pathoma comes in. I don't remember if BB did histology.

Embryology is definitely covered in enough depth for step 1 by BB. But that too, is not super hi yield. You definitely need to memorize relevant embryo from FA for a 250+, though. And BB helps with that.

Reactions: 3 users
Learn anatomy from UWorld and FA, honestly. BB will essentially take you thru the anatomy in FA but not much more. And that's a good thing. Anatomy and step1 is a weird thing. You can absolutely get 250+ without being great at anatomy. And you can absolutely ruin a shot at 250 by wasting too much time on (low yield) anatomy. Certain anatomical concepts are high yield, those are the ones in FA/UW. For everything else, just pray and rely on MS1 knowledge.

Histo is also low yield. It mainly shows up in context of Pathology, and that's where Pathoma comes in. I don't remember if BB did histology.

Embryology is definitely covered in enough depth for step 1 by BB. But that too, is not super hi yield. You definitely need to memorize relevant embryo from FA for a 250+, though. And BB helps with that.

Gotcha, thanks my dude. I'm definitely gonna be checking out BB but can't say I'm gonna be checking out BBB anytime soon ;)

Gotcha, thanks my dude. I'm definitely gonna be checking out BB but can't say I'm gonna be checking out BBB anytime soon ;)

The one good thing about Kaplan is that their Step 1 pack comes with a decent QBank. BnB doesn't have a step Q bank yet. He has some practice quizzes but they are just easy recall practice questions.

i use both. 2x speed on kaplan for a first pass and 2x speed on b&b for a second pass. kaplan pharm and biochem is on another level. Raymon not only teaches u the drugs but the physiology which really improves your ability to critically think. His explanations of tracings when it comes to the autonomics/cardiac pharm section is solid. If you're looking for solely high yield i'd stick to b&b/pathoma (everything else) and sketchy (pharm and micro)

Last edited:
Kaplan pharm (2010) + neuroanatomy + embryology are the great ones in my opinion. Kaplan Biochem is great too (Turco) if you’re an MS1, but also doing B&B for biochem I would suggest this if you’re short on time. B&B >Kaplan for everything else.