Boards and Beyond vs. Firecracker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordansnfootbal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just heard about Boards and Beyond from a peer and was wondering if it was more useful as a resource for M1/Step 1 than Firecracker?
Here is the list of resources I have so far that I plan to buy/use for MS1:
1. Firecracker
2. Dr. Najeeb
3. Bros Deck
4. First Aid
5. Pathoma
6. Netter's Anatomy (When Human Structure comes up in the year)

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its a way different resource. Not even comparable IMO. I would remove Najeeb and replace with B&B tho. Najeeb's lectures are a real time suck

Reactions: 3 users
Its a way different resource. Not even comparable IMO. I would remove Najeeb and replace with B&B tho. Najeeb's lectures are a real time suck
Thanks a lot bro. I just took out najeeb right now as a matter of fact because someone else told me the same. What about Bros. Vs. Firecracker?

Members don't see this ad :)
One is free and one isn't. Try a free trial of Firecrackers if you wish. My most important tip - don't buy a bunch of resources preemptively. Congrats on making it to med school, bud.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot bro. I just took out najeeb right now as a matter of fact because someone else told me the same. What about Bros. Vs. Firecracker?

This question has been debated for quite a while and there are die hard fans for both resources.

I would try both and figure out which one you like more and would actually use, if either.

As someone who has used both, I like FC's interface way more, but bros questions stick way better than FC's for me. I like that I can see the card again in 1min. Also, FC's questions and answers can be like a whole paragraph. Not easy to remember.

August in m1 and you're not even getting through u-world yet?

(Jk)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users
Bros/Zanki are both great for spaced repetition questions after you've learned an entire subject, but thats it. FC is awesome as a reference source, but its spaced repetition questions are pretty mediocre.

Boards and beyond is a bit like Pathoma, but for physiology--fairly short, condensed and high yield points are emphasized. I use it and I do like it quite a bit.

Would skip Firecracker and try and get your hands on the Zanki deck instead (just like Bros, though larger, its more organized and cards are more well written)

Also--if you email Boards and Beyond customer service and ask for week trial or small discount they usually oblige! :)

Most importantly don't spread yourself too thin with a ton of different resources, find what works for you and go hard!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't go for a ton of resources. stick to a few and you will do fine. I don't agree that najeeb is a bad option, i think it helps a lot but the problem is the length of the videos. You should really watch some of the videos and do free trials to make a better-educated decision

lastly, check out lecturio, it was a godsend for me.

^^^. I feel what you mean by getting overwhelmed by all the resources. There are so many and they all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses

I think Najeeb is very much worthwhile. True it's a big time sink, but I scored 255-260 on step 1 and Najeeb was a huge part of that. The vast majority of step 1 requires a good understanding of physiology and brute memorization will only take you so far.

FWIW - I hated FA, loved Pathoma, loved Bro's, hated Firecracker, never used Netter's (complete anatomy is much better).

Reactions: 3 users
I think Najeeb is very much worthwhile. True it's a big time sink, but I scored 255-260 on step 1 and Najeeb was a huge part of that. The vast majority of step 1 requires a good understanding of physiology and brute memorization will only take you so far.

FWIW - I hated FA, loved Pathoma, loved Bro's, hated Firecracker, never used Netter's (complete anatomy is much better).

Do you think the BB is comparable to Najeeb? Thanks in advance for your advice.

We're about to hit systems and my plan for each week is to watch the relevant B&B lecture(s) each day as a first pass and watch Najeeb at 2x-3x on the weekend. I really hope it can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

We're about to hit systems and my plan for each week is to watch the relevant B&B lecture(s) each day as a first pass and watch Najeeb at 2x-3x on the weekend. I really hope it can be done in a reasonable amount of time.
Seems like a lot of time spent on passive learning

Reactions: 1 users

I'm also a heavy Anki user and I do a lot of practice questions. I like to watch high yield videos like B&B/Pathoma/Sketchy as a foundation, beat the facts into my head with Anki, and apply everything with practice qs.

Furthermore, phys is not one of my strong points, so I'm paranoid and I feel like I'll need Najeeb to explain every little thing to me. I was wondering if people thought it was practical to use B&B (quick first pass) and Najeeb (in depth second pass). They are both great resources, so I'm like why can't I use both?

Last edited:
How else can you learn the material before hitting flash cards? People seem to recommend knowing material before hitting flash cards for the first time, so at one point isn't rereading required? I guess what I mean to say is, how can you active learn before flash cards/ practice problems, seeing as you kind of have to know the subject before doing those 2 things?

Did you watch ALL of Najeeb? What videos did you watch?