Boards not too far away, "love you but not IN love"- wife

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeisrough

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still numb.....had just started studying for the boards which are a few months away. She has said that she's willing to try still to see if it improves and try to make it work but that our arguments have made lead to her not being IN love.

I'm still in shock, but I know:

1. I still love her and am willing to try and save the marriage

2. Boards are coming up soon

How the hell do i study? Im sure I'll bomb it now.

has anyone been through anything similar ? :(

Members don't see this ad.

close yourself in the room studying, that's a good way to stop with the arguing. also, study hard, in a few years you'll be collecting priviledges from the score you got on step 1, not from the arguing.

did I forget to say study hard?

lol

seriously, if she's not in love with you, you have one more excuse to not pay her attention and study hard closed in your room. make sure you are nice in your brief contacts w/ her and don't pull arguments. just don't pay her attention and focus on your mission. by the time you're not paying her attention and pulling arguments she will wonder what the hell its going on with you and become more interested in you. don't give her too much attention, just study man!! when you end your examination buy her a nice trip and go enjoy yourselves. best luck

Members don't see this ad :)
damn, i guess start ur day off studying hard.. and towards the evening spend a lil time trying to fix things so ur giving her some attention everyday.. or vice versa.. and after some time if things dont work, ur better off dropping it and fully focusing on ur career.. u gotta win one situation at least.. try to hit both but if one fails, make sure u dont lose the other! gluck man

Anyway let's just say I've seen a similar case that ended in divorce because neither side yielded.

who cares dude, if she loves him she must understand that he is in a very difficult moment of his life and not beg for attention. if he studies she will give him credit and look at him in a better way.

and btw, what a terrible excuse to break up using step 1 as an excuse.

Okay, she must be seriously delusional to think that marriage warrants being "IN love" all the time. There are a few downs in marriage that may make someone think that they absolutely HATE their spouse. Love is all that marriage requires, as long as you love a person deeply enough to care for him/her, the marriage will work (in rather basic terms). Being "IN love" is silly nonsense (in my opinion) in a marriage. There aren't different forms of love to give a spouse...you either love them or you don't.

I say study for your boards. Stop worrying much about it and don't give her thoughts much attention (and by no means not give HER attention). Stop arguing and give her space. Act normal towards her, as if nothings happened and nothings been said. She'll hopefully come back to her senses.

During the time my husband was having his boards done, we got into arguments and fights...it was starting to take a toll on him, so we both dropped it...he studied more and gave me my space...and I, well, stopped picking fights...lol
Hopefully, it'll work out for you.

EDIT: Don't walk on egg shells around her. Again be normal like I've said above. Remember fights are usually a product in a marriage and are normal (it'll be silly to believe otherwise).
If you cater to her thoughts about leaving the marriage and being "IN love" and such, she'll just keep using that excuse over and over again...because she'll know its a weakness of yours. Trust me.
Sorry this is so long...but a relationship is as important as the boards.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the positive thoughts.
So it's Day 1 after she dropped the bomb and I really haven't been able to study at all. All I keep thinking about is losing her.

Last night we did say that we're going to try and make it work and see if changing our behavior helps how she feels about us, but I just have a bad feeling deep within me that these measures won't work and she will be back to the same.

As for improving ourselves, I am going to try to get into fewer arguments and help with more chores etc. She says that these feelings have been building for several months now and she doesn't know if she will be able to look at me as a wife should.

I am not into shedding tears but I did so last night, and it feels as if I've been constantly on the verge of doing so throughout the day today.

I really don't know where to go and how to start studying again, it just seems so trivial compared to my marriage.

Thanks again everyone.

who cares dude, if she loves him she must understand that he is in a very difficult moment of his life and not beg for attention. if he studies she will give him credit and look at him in a better way.

and btw, what a terrible excuse to break up using step 1 as an excuse.
Okay, you need to stop giving advice on this subject right now. OP, boards seem trivial in comparison to your marriage because they are. By all means, do everything you need to to save your relationship. Honestly, I studied for 8-10 hours per day for 6 weeks (mind you, that's actual time spent studying - it probably spanned 12 hours or so) and felt like I over-studied by around a week. Even busting your butt for 10 hours a day, you should have at least a little bit of time to spend with your wife. it'll be a hard time for both of you, but there's no reason to let your marriage fall apart for a few extra points on a test.

Okay, you need to stop giving advice on this subject right now. OP, boards seem trivial in comparison to your marriage because they are. By all means, do everything you need to to save your relationship. Honestly, I studied for 8-10 hours per day for 6 weeks (mind you, that's actual time spent studying - it probably spanned 12 hours or so) and felt like I over-studied by around a week. Even busting your butt for 10 hours a day, you should have at least a little bit of time to spend with your wife. it'll be a hard time for both of you, but there's no reason to let your marriage fall apart for a few extra points on a test.

I agree, BUT it doesn't seem that the marriage is failing because of his lack of time with his wife from studying for his boards. He's just saying that he can't study for his boards because this subject was brought up. There is an underlying problem here, I think he should work on both. I think the wife is making rash statements and/or decisions....OP, are you guys newlyweds or something? How long have you been married?

I agree, BUT it doesn't seem that the marriage is failing because of his lack of time with his wife from studying for his boards. He's just saying that he can't study for his boards because this subject was brought up. There is an underlying problem here, I think he should work on both. I think the wife is making rash statements and/or decisions....OP, are you guys newlyweds or something? How long have you been married?

Living together for 4 years, married for a little over 1. I think over the course of the 4 yrs there has been ruthless fighting once a month or so. I have a habit of saying things that I later regret. After I calm down I apologize (I have a quick hot temper that subsides equally as fast, and I can then go back to being normal).
She on the other hand takes everything to heart and when her temper rises, it takes her a while to cool down.
We've both worked on our tempers, but it seems as if mine has gotten better but hers has done the opposite. She says all those things I've said over the years have left her on a completely different page than me, interms of the relationship.
I have told her that this was a rude awakening for me and I will change my ways while encouraging her to try and change hers.

So today after she got home, we discussed it a little more and she says that she wants to work on it. However, the way that she interacted with me was a bit rigid and distant. I feel like an emotional wreck inside, while it appears to me that she is perfectly calm and almost indifferent. She didn't initiate any physical contact, didn't refer to me by a name (it's usually a pet name), and is a bit terse. I don't know what tomorrow brings, but I am dreading being alone with those books.

Sorry to turn this into an emotional outpouring, but I really don't know where to turn and figure that you guys might be able to empathize.

Seriously, thank you all again.

did you cheat on your wife? if not, which I bet you didn't, your wife is behaving in a disgusting way. she knows that you'll be in a lot of pressure because of your exam and still treats you like **** and tells you these horrible things that she knows that make you feel sad. STOP GIVING GER ATTENTION NOW! she's showing distant signs. lock yourself in the room studying and wait for her to be nice. don't rush nothing. if you pay more attention to her than to your studies she will continue to treat you like ****

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, BUT it doesn't seem that the marriage is failing because of his lack of time with his wife from studying for his boards. He's just saying that he can't study for his boards because this subject was brought up.
Ah, I see. I misinterpreted the post, possibly because I saw several long-term relationships fail during Step 1 study time. That's certainly not going to make studying any easier, but it's something absolutely worth working on.

So today after she got home, we discussed it a little more and she says that she wants to work on it. However, the way that she interacted with me was a bit rigid and distant. I feel like an emotional wreck inside, while it appears to me that she is perfectly calm and almost indifferent. She didn't initiate any physical contact, didn't refer to me by a name (it's usually a pet name), and is a bit terse.

I know how it can feel with your marriage on the line, look, don't become a nervous wreck around her...she'll see it. What you wrote above clearly indicates that... ("while it appears to me that she is perfectly calm and almost indifferent.") STOP. Stop showing her that your dying inside. You have to be indifferent too, show her that you love her, but don't overdo it. Believe me she doesn't want to leave you...girls are weird like that sometimes. You guys have been married only 1 year...you cannot believe the things my husband and I said during the first year of our marriage! It happens and its absolutely normal. Its a way for you guys to understand each other. She needs to understand that. If the arguing happened during the 4 years that you guys were with each other and she didn't leave you then....she most probably won't leave you now.

Again, I will repeat this, don't walk on egg shells around her. Be absolutely normal (just don't keep arguing), like nothings been said. If you don't usually pamper her a lot...then there is no reason to do it excessively now. If you give her extra padded attention now, it's like giving candy to a child in the middle of a temper tantrum. Go about your life, study for your boards, tell her that you love her, and if there in an argument about to start just drop it. Pretend that you have a mouth full of water and you don't want to spill it on yourself by opening your mouth...in fact if you find it hard to imagine, go get a glass of water and do it for real.

Marriage only works when both spouses compromise. You can't win all the arguments...pick and choose. If the argument is getting heated...LEAVE the room. Then maybe later, while you guys are in bed, don't say anything to her and just give her a hug. She'll appreciate that...when there is love, there needn't be any words.

I hope it works out well.

Oh, just wanted to add, girls love attention, they love to see that you can't live without them....and if you are giving them attention for the wrong thing, (like leaving you or what not) then they will continue doing it. Believe me...as a wife, been there, done that :p
Show her that attention when she's dressed beautifully, when she's cooked a good meal, when you guys are both in your pjs, when she's an absolute mess, when she's done something she's proud of, you get the drift.

So today after she got home, we discussed it a little more and she says that she wants to work on it. However, the way that she interacted with me was a bit rigid and distant. I feel like an emotional wreck inside, while it appears to me that she is perfectly calm and almost indifferent. She didn't initiate any physical contact, didn't refer to me by a name (it's usually a pet name), and is a bit terse. I don't know what tomorrow brings, but I am dreading being alone with those books.

She's angry. What you described above is what an angry person is like. Making decisions out of anger is almost always the wrong thing to do. IMO, counseling is a great idea. You both need to go -- together and individually. Let me ask you something, and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but just think about it -- you said you have a bad temper. At any time, have you ever struck your wife when you lost your temper? Have you ever cheated on her? Have you ever said something to her just to hurt her, something that you knew would crush her to her core? If the answer is yes to any of those questions, it may take a lot of work and a very long time to heal those wounds, if it's even possible, and I doubt you'll be able to do it without a professional helping you.

If the answer is no, I think you're in a much better place once she gets past her anger/grudge. But the way to do that isn't to tell her to change her ways. If you feel that she has a right to be angry at you, then I think you need to acknowledge that and take full responsibility for what you did and tell her you realize it'll take her time to forgive you and trust you not to hurt her again, but that you'll be right there for her when she does. And in the meantime, you need to prove to her that you've changed, even if she continues to hold a grudge for the time being. You can't promise to change under the condition that she get over her anger. That's not fair. You need to change first, and then she can decide whether or not to offer forgiveness (it's like if someone cheated -- not saying you did, but just as an example -- the cheater can't say "hey, I'll never cheat on you again as long as you forgive me." That may not be how he/she actually means it, but that's how it's interpreted by the non-cheater and it just leads to more hostility. The non-cheater is probably thinking "How do I know I can forgive you until I see proof that you've changed and you're the same man/woman I married?")

With that said, there's a however here -- if you feel she's angry at you without reason or that whatever she's angry about isn't justification for how she's treating you, then that's a different story and something that needs to come out in counseling.

Now, as for Step 1, when are you required to take it? Will your school give you an extension? I would continue studying, but you also need to work on your marriage. No Step 1 score is worth sacrificing your marriage, if you still love her and want to make it work (and it's obvious that you do).

Does your wife work? Can you study during the day if you know that when she comes home, it'll be together time? Set up a date night. Ask her to dress up, but tell her the reason is a surprise. Make reservations for dinner, buy her flowers, take her to the theater or dancing after dinner. Show her that you still love her as much as you did while you were dating. Make it a once-a-week thing and show her that you're willing to put in the work to save your marriage. That may go a long way in proving you still love her, despite what went wrong.

The caveat to that is don't be a doormat. Let her work through her anger and all, but if it's clear she isn't interested on working things out, you'll need to re-evaluate the situation. If she genuinely still loves you (and I'm of the opinion that you don't always have to be "in love" to have a happy marriage -- passion comes and goes so long as you always love your spouse, assuming it wasn't the passion alone that drove you to marriage), then I think you'll be on the upswing if you can work through the past.

Best of luck to you and don't apologize for posting. We're here to help :)

did you cheat on your wife? if not, which I bet you didn't, your wife is behaving in a disgusting way. she knows that you'll be in a lot of pressure because of your exam and still treats you like **** and tells you these horrible things that she knows that make you feel sad. STOP GIVING GER ATTENTION NOW! she's showing distant signs. lock yourself in the room studying and wait for her to be nice. don't rush nothing. if you pay more attention to her than to your studies she will continue to treat you like ****

Divorced or unmarried? Either way, OP, don't ever listen to this kind of advice. It obviously comes from someone who hasn't been where you are.

this.

you have chosen a stressful career path and if she cant be by your side and help you through the rough times now, where will she be later? i think this speaks volumes about what you could expect in the future.
i would think twice about having a needy self centered spouse who doesn't have any consideration for the amount of stress you are under. if it were me i would never be able to forgive my husband for dropping such a bombshell at the worst possible time.
is there any chance you can postpone your test? because i can only imagine how impossible it must feel to give boards your 100% right now (which is what you have to do). how prepared are you?

i hope things work out for you.
i am sorry you are going through this. best of luck.

If you don't usually pamper her a lot...then there is no reason to do it excessively now. If you give her extra padded attention now, it's like giving candy to a child in the middle of a temper tantrum.

I'm sorry, but what you're advocating is ridiculous.

Perhaps you're still lingering in that childhood phase of wanting attention from your husband by throwing a temper tantrum, but I would venture to guess that most adult women are not. When most women say they're not in love with their husbands or that they're hurt or angry by what's happened, it's usually because they mean it. They're not looking for "candy." They're looking to see if there's a marriage here worth holding onto. When the husband goes on with the day as if "nothing's happened" (really?), you might as well hammer the nail in the marriage coffin yourself.

If I reached out to my husband and gave a hint that things weren't working out and his reaction was to pretend nothing happened, that would give me the answer I needed. He's obviously not interested in staying in this marriage. It obviously doesn't mean much to him. When you love someone, you react when they tell you they're hurting. You don't assume they're just whining for attention like a 3-year-old brat. You assume they're hurting and need to be comforted, reassured, and loved.

To suggest the OP not take this seriously paints a very dysfunctional picture of a relationship I thank my lucky stars I'm not in.

this.

you have chosen a stressful career path and if she cant be by your side and help you through the rough times now, where will she be later? i think this speaks volumes about what you could expect in the future.
i would think twice about having a needy self centered spouse who doesn't have any consideration for the amount of stress you are under. if it were me i would never be able to forgive my husband for dropping such a bombshell at the worst possible time.
is there any chance you can postpone your test? because i can only imagine how impossible it must feel to give boards your 100% right now (which is what you have to do). how prepared are you?

i hope things work out for you.
i am sorry you are going through this. best of luck.

Yes, because we all know that doctors are the be-all-end-all. Their lives are so stressful that no one should dare criticize them or get in their way. A spouse to a med student/doctor should be there only to pamper them and rub their feet and nothing else.

Let me ask you this, when is a good time to tell a med student/doctor you're not happy with them? You can't do it second year (boards). Can't do it third year (by most accounts, the hardest or most stressful year of med school). Can't do it fourth year (Sub-Is and residency interviews). Can't do it after graduation, lest you be accused of ruining their internship.

So when would be a good time for a wife to tell her husband what she's going through and remind him, every once in a while, that there is a life outside of medicine and that there are people who need him outside the hospital?

honestly its never called "giving attention" when it comes to your significant other.

each in their own right deserve the love and care which is being referred to as " attention"

maybe she really does have some serious issues with how her life is going right now. Noone on here knows the full story of why exactly are they fighting and we got one side of the story that OP is stressed out becuase the wife isnt happy BUT she didnt say she was leaivng him. She said she IS WILLING to work on it! Thats saying a lot.

I would suggest to the OP that if problems arise between the two of you and if its something trivial do your best to stabilize the situation without any extra drama from your side. Letting your anger (even if you are right in your anger) go will only bring good things. 1) It will calm the situation down and prevent it from getting worst which can only be good for your relationship in the long run 2) It will cut out the extra loss of time that you would have spent fighting with her, leaving you with more time to focus on your exam.

Sometimes saying you are sorry is the only solution, even if you are in the right. Relationships require that sometimes. Eventually the other person will realize as well that they were wrong. But right now only yOU can watch out for your time and peace of mind. and if saying sorry and giving her a few extra minutes of some TLC can get you that peace of mind then so be it. Do whatever you can to avoid contirbuting to the fight, EVEN if she is in the wrong.

You can address the underlying issues once you are done with your exam. Stay in your room study and focus, but be peaceful with her as well. That will give you the peace you need to be able to study. Theres nothing worst than fighting with your significant other and then trying to study. It does get lonely and books arent so freindly :)

Wish you luck and peace! I am sure things will work out once all of this is over! Dont let yourself get down, you havent lost either,neither your exam nor your wife, so you are on the winning side already :)

I'm sorry, but what you're advocating is ridiculous.

Perhaps you're still lingering in that childhood phase of wanting attention from your husband by throwing a temper tantrum, but I would venture to guess that most adult women are not. When most women say they're not in love with their husbands or that they're hurt or angry by what's happened, it's usually because they mean it. They're not looking for "candy." They're looking to see if there's a marriage here worth holding onto. When the husband goes on with the day as if "nothing's happened" (really?), you might as well hammer the nail in the marriage coffin yourself.

If I reached out to my husband and gave a hint that things weren't working out and his reaction was to pretend nothing happened, that would give me the answer I needed. He's obviously not interested in staying in this marriage. It obviously doesn't mean much to him. When you love someone, you react when they tell you they're hurting. You don't assume they're just whining for attention like a 3-year-old brat. You assume they're hurting and need to be comforted, reassured, and loved.

To suggest the OP not take this seriously paints a very dysfunctional picture of a relationship I thank my lucky stars I'm not in.

Oh stop. Everyone needs attention from their spouse. Even men do. And when they aren't getting enough of it, they sometimes will do anything. I never said to ignore her...I said to ignore her thoughts, because he's just feeding into it. They have been together for 4 years before getting married! And he stated that there has been "ruthless fighting" during that time. You think after only 1 year of marriage that she wants out NOW? out of all the time she had? They should discuss it, tell her that he loves her, etc, LIKE I'VE BEEN ADVOCATING but he should go about his normal life as usual, this is just another bump in their relationship.

"... You assume they are hurting and need to be comforted, reassured, and loved"
Yeah and you said that my suggestion is like treating her like a child. She's not a child and I'm guessing that the HUSBAND needs that sentence now more than ever.

Also, when you said
"When most women say they're not in love with their husbands .... it's usually because they mean it."
When you are angry, a lot of things come out, BUT you don't usually mean it. If a woman does say that and she means it, then they shouldn't be married in the first place.

"
Set up a date night. Ask her to dress up, but tell her the reason is a surprise. Make reservations for dinner, buy her flowers, take her to the theater or dancing after dinner. Show her that you still love her as much as you did while you were dating. Make it a once-a-week thing and show her that you're willing to put in the work to save your marriage. That may go a long way in proving you still love her, despite what went wrong."

Okay, there is nothing wrong with doing this, it'll be very sweet and special and by all means if the OP wants to, why not? BUT why should he go out of his way to do this?? HE never said that he doesn't love her, he said that he will change his ways and that they will work on it...why does he have to prove that by doing all that? Isn't it that he wants to work on it proof already? Wouldn't it be enough for YOU if your husband tells you that? God, as a woman, SOME women make it so hard for men to please them!

When you tell him not to be a doormat, well all your advice leads to that.

And sweetie, I thank MY lucky stars for not having a mentality like yours, where its the wife's way or the high way. It's a marriage for God's sake.

Noone on here knows the full story of why exactly are they fighting and we got one side of the story that OP is stressed out becuase the wife isnt happy BUT she didnt say she was leaivng him. She said she IS WILLING to work on it! Thats saying a lot

I absolutely agree, pbnj003. This eventually is going to be sorted out between the both of them, with none of us there. So he should know what's best.

Oh stop. Everyone needs attention from their spouse. Even men do. And when they aren't getting enough of it, they sometimes will do anything.

That's a bunch of bull. Yes, everyone needs attention from their spouse, but some of us care about our mates too much to threaten our marriage just to get their attention. To suggest that a woman would tell her husband she isn't in love with him just because she wants his attention is plain dysfunctional.

I never said to ignore her...I said to ignore her thoughts, because he's just feeding into it. They have been together for 4 years before getting married! And he stated that there has been "ruthless fighting" during that time. You think after only 1 year of marriage that she wants out NOW?

Uh, yeah? Have you never seen people who've been together 4-5 years split? Hell, some people are married 25 years and then decide they want something else out of life. It happens. When people reach their breaking point, they leave. I think the OP could regret it forever if he assumes this is a bluff and that she isn't serious about walking out.

Also, when you said When you are angry, a lot of things come out, BUT you don't usually mean it. If a woman does say that and she means it, then they shouldn't be married in the first place.

I meant she means it, as in she isn't just saying it to get his attention. She isn't bluffing. To say something that hurtful, she either has a good reason for it (she does fear her marriage coming to an end) or she's a ruthless woman who's hurting him at an important time in his career just because she can. My guess is the former.

Okay, there is nothing wrong with doing this, it'll be very sweet and special and by all means if the OP wants to, why not? BUT why should he go out of his way to do this??

How is setting up a date night with his wife going out of his way? I'm not saying he fly them to Argentina, for crying out loud. I'm saying he sets up a date night and reclaims some romance. You don't think a spouse is worth that?

HE never said that he doesn't love her, he said that he will change his ways and that they will work on it...why does he have to prove that by doing all that?

Because words are empty. I can say to you that I'll ignore the next part of this post. What does that prove if I don't actually ignore it? The cliche is true -- actions speak louder than words.

Isn't it that he wants to work on it proof already? Wouldn't it be enough for YOU if your husband tells you that? God, as a woman, SOME women make it so hard for men to please them!

If my husband had hurt me to the point that I was considering, even for a minute, ending our marriage, I'd want to see some evidence of him working on it rather than him just saying he'll work on it. I don't think that makes it hard for him to please me. It just means that I consider actions more important than words. Likewise, if he ever came to me and said that he was unhappy, I would move heaven and earth to prove to him how much I love him and how much I'm willing to work on our relationship. That's what you do when the person you love isn't feeling your love.

When you tell him not to be a doormat, well all your advice leads to that.

How is showing his wife he loves her being a doormat? He isn't begging her to love him or to not leave him. He's merely putting his actions where his mouth is and proving to her that she's important enough to him to work on changing how he reacts to problems.

And sweetie, I thank MY lucky stars for not having a mentality like yours, where its the wife's way or the high way. It's a marriage for God's sake.

LOL that's hilarious because had it been the wife writing the OP, I would feel exactly the same and I would give the same advice. It has nothing to do with it being a wife or a husband. It has to do with the person.

Yes, because we all know that doctors are the be-all-end-all. Their lives are so stressful that no one should dare criticize them or get in their way. A spouse to a med student/doctor should be there only to pamper them and rub their feet and nothing else.

re-read my post, because i did not say any of that. being a doctor has nothing to do with it. it has to do with keeping your promises. i will hopefully be a dr, and my spouse will not. but i will do anything and everything to support HIM when things get rough, as he has done with me. we have already proved this to each other and im sure we will have to prove it again and again throughout our lives because things go wrong, thats just how life is.

all im saying as then when you get married, you are supposed to stick by your spouse through thick and thin, not wait until things get stressful and bail because everything isn't flowers and romance and chocolate anymore. if either partner isn't wiling to do this, then maybe you shouldn't be married.

and i would say the same thing if he was in management, the president, or a shoe salesman.

someone who's gonna kick you when your down isn't worth chasing after because that type if behavior is usually habitual. after 4 years, a wedding, a year of marriage, and NOW is the time for her to say she's not happy? not right.

anyway OP, only YOU know the ins and outs of your situation and i hope it works out for you. hang in there buddy

Be absolutely normal (just don't keep arguing), like nothings been said.

this.

i don't have time to read the thread, but seems its getting interesting. but it was enough for me to read this, its exactly what you should to dude

just study and talk with her during dinner, don't ignore her like you're pissed off, just act normal and don't give her too much attention. and stop showing fear from separation, the more fear you show the more she'll use it because that makes her feel powerful.

i would think twice about having a needy self centered spouse who doesn't have any consideration for the amount of stress you are under.
That works both ways. Maintaining a relationship with someone you hardly ever see and argue with when you do is not exactly easy. Marriage takes compromise on both sides.
if it were me i would never be able to forgive my husband for dropping such a bombshell at the worst possible time.
Are you kidding? She's supposed to just suck it up, be unhappy, and let the problem fester? That sounds like a healthy way to run a marriage, for sure. Unlike most other professions, the stress is always on in med school. there's never a good time to bring something of this magnitude up. Several months away from Step 1 is about as good as you're going to do.

Dude, shut the f/ck up. Right now.

OP, I'm very sorry this is happening to you. Relationships and marriage are difficult under the best of circumstances, which these obviously aren't. The same goes for studying for boards. My advice would be to spend time with your wife doing fun things that you both enjoy. And please stop reading this thread, it's not going to help you at all.

Alright, Aislinn, I don't want to keep nitpicking each others responses. So I have a couple of last things to say.

You don't know their problem, and neither of us can fix it for them, and eventually they will do what's right for them. But I would like to stand behind my response in saying that you have this "wife's way or the highway" mentality with one response you gave me:

He's merely putting his actions where his mouth is and proving to her that she's important enough to him to work on changing how he reacts to problems.

How HE reacts to problems? Why isn't it how BOTH react to each others problems? Last I remember, it takes two to argue. Why is it that the man has to always eat whatever the woman throws at him? C'mon, its BOTH their problem and they BOTH have to work at it. And how is SHE going to show him how important he is to her? ---This need not apply to OP but just an example to Aislinn.

I'm all for women's rights etc, but sometimes nowadays, I can't believe the way women think sometimes...its getting so bad as to the women acting manly and the men acting womanly!

I can say much more on your responses but I'm done with arguing...I have life to tend to.

My advice would be to spend time with your wife doing fun things that you both enjoy. And please stop reading this thread, it's not going to help you at all.

OP I agree with this statement! --That they BOTH enjoy (take note Aislinn)

Go have fun! I hope things work out for you! :xf: Remember OP--forgive and forget.

Hey here is my opinion and I was kinda of in a similar situation. Take a break for a day or two and spend time with her. Show her how you feel, listen to each other away from all of this. Tell her how much this means to you and that "she can be a part of it."

Tell her that together you both can fix this and get through it. Explain to her how important this is to you, especially both of you in the long run. Work as a group. Plan things out, take her out, sacrifice is needed on both sides.

FOr example, what I did was I told her to help and support me while I study for the whole week. Then we both will do something fun one day per week, so we both had something to look forward too.

Think of this as a hurdle that both of you have to pass through. Anyway hope it helps.

How HE reacts to problems? Why isn't it how BOTH react to each others problems? Last I remember, it takes two to argue. Why is it that the man has to always eat whatever the woman throws at him?

Stop turning this into a battle of the sexes when it's anything but! Did you even bother to READ his post or did you just decide to pounce on my words in some attempt to make this an issue of sexism when none exists? HE said that he's been working on changing how he reacts to their fights because, as he said in his own words, he loses his temper and says things he doesn't mean. I didn't assign him a task. I just emphasized the task HE assigned to himself. Really, it's not a difficult concept to grasp if you think about it.

He's asking for advice. I tell him to take her on a "date" once in a while. You ask why. I said because it helps prove to her that he's trying to change his reaction versus him just telling her. Why would I ever say such an insensitive thing? Because he admitted that he told her he's trying to change his reaction to arguments. Now, where in there is the crime I committed against man and humanity?

C'mon, its BOTH their problem and they BOTH have to work at it. And how is SHE going to show him how important he is to her?

Well, if she was posting here, I would tell her that she should be honest about her feelings and when he does lose his temper and says things that hurt her, then she needs to talk to him about that and work on letting go of her anger instead of letting it fester. I would tell her that she needs to do the same for him that I advised him to do for her. He's studying for boards, so cook him his favorite meal for dinner now and then, pick up some dessert from his favorite bakery on her way from work now and then, arrange a romantic evening for two to get his mind off studying on a Saturday night. There are all kinds of things they could BOTH do to work on their marriage, but only one spouse is here on a med student board seeking advice (could that be because only one spouse is a med student? Hm, let's think on that one). Before you accuse people of being sexist, you should back the hell off and read and comprehend the thread.

As for the rest of your gibberish, it's too embarrassing to even acknowledge, let alone formulate a reply. Classic example of a person just waiting to pounce on people for perceived insults/offenses that don't even exist. Ridiculous and juvenile.

Hahaha...like I said, I have life to tend to.

But since I'm here, love the contradiction between your "advice" and your action regarding reacting to problems and arguing. Great job.
G'luck to your husband!

Adios!

Hahaha...like I said, I have life to tend to.

But since I'm here, love the contradiction between your "advice" and your action regarding reacting to problems and arguing.

There is no contradiction. Try reading with your eyes open next time. It might make a difference (though it's doubtful).

G'luck to your husband!

Yeah, good luck to yours. Perhaps he can give you reading comprehension lessons since your skills are sorely lacking.

Lol what I don't get is why a medical student is even arguing with a pre-optometry person.

Lol what I don't get is why a medical student is even arguing with a pre-optometry person.

And?
What does a profession or a title have anything to do with the opinions of a person? Or their arguing ability for that matter?;)

You were once a pre-optometry student...at the time didn't you have an opinion that you wanted to be heard?

And besides...Optometrists are supposed to stick together! :laugh: