Boards Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentigerous

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple question what is the best review book to use for anatomy section and Microbio sections of boards for someone who is alittle weak in those two subjects? Question is directed towards people who did well (94+)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dentigerous said:
Simple question what is the best review book to use for anatomy section and Microbio sections of boards for someone who is alittle weak in those two subjects? Question is directed towards people who did well (94+)

thanks

First Aid for USMLE
Netters Anatomy

GatorDMD said:
First Aid for USMLE

Just curious why do you pick that book, and does that book cover level the detail that you'd expect to know for the test?

Members don't see this ad :)
dentigerous said:
Just curious why do you pick that book, and does that book cover level the detail that you'd expect to know for the test?

if you search the old threads you can find more detailed info. I liked the book because it had good pneumonics. Netters and dental school notes are probably best. You need to put in the time and you will get good results. I suggest going through decks and all old tests.

GatorDMD said:
if you search the old threads you can find more detailed info. I liked the book because it had good pneumonics. Netters and dental school notes are probably best. You need to put in the time and you will get good results. I suggest going through decks and all old tests.

What I"m looking for is a very comprehensive (for the boards) review book that I can study first to review everything before I hit the old tests.

GatorDMD said:

mnemonics?

dentigerous said:

thanks
My formula was this... Get the decks down cold. I mean know that stuff backwards and forwards, everything written on those cards. I did the 2001 version and the 2004. Lots of overlap (which reinforces what you've seen) and a few differences worth peekin at. Aside from that, for Anatomy and Micro, I agree that USMLE First Aid was crazy helpful. Netter's always good, and I've heard the book, Micro Made Ridiculously Easy is supposed to be good. Essential Pathology by Rubin is great for Path. Lippincott great for Biochem. Always know that old exams are key and if you can get your hands on the "pilot exam" given last year, that is helpful as hell too. Hope this helps!...

TiggerJSA said:
My formula was this... Get the decks down cold. I mean know that stuff backwards and forwards, everything written on those cards. I did the 2001 version and the 2004. Lots of overlap (which reinforces what you've seen) and a few differences worth peekin at. Aside from that, for Anatomy and Micro, I agree that USMLE First Aid was crazy helpful. Netter's always good, and I've heard the book, Micro Made Ridiculously Easy is supposed to be good. Essential Pathology by Rubin is great for Path. Lippincott great for Biochem. Always know that old exams are key and if you can get your hands on the "pilot exam" given last year, that is helpful as hell too. Hope this helps!...

There are a lot of unreleased exams out there as well. Current ones too.

how can i get my hands on unreleased exams? Do you have some that you would sell, or know of anyone who does? thanks

thatsjustmygame said:
how can i get my hands on unreleased exams? Do you have some that you would sell, or know of anyone who does? thanks

I don't have any personally, but I know they were floating around when I took boards. I'm sure your classmates have some.

So basically dental decks, old exams, review books for the subjects (1st aid, etc) for 6 weeks is enough to get 95+?

dentigerous said:
So basically dental decks, old exams, review books for the subjects (1st aid, etc) for 6 weeks is enough to get 95+?
CAN BE enough for a 95+, but everyone is different. I spent more than 6 weeks to score the way I did. I know a guy who studied about like I did and he got a 99 while I got a 95. Another friend of mine studied way less and got a 93. I don't think higher scores can be correlated with any specific books...some people just takes tests better than others - especially at the "cutting hairs" level of the difference in the 90s on NBDE I. Good luck, Its so nice to have that test over with!!!

dentigerous said:

It also depends on how much you study each day, how effective that studying is, how good you are at remembering stuff, etc. There a ton of things that factor into specific time frames.

First Aid for USMLE Step 1 is your ace in the hole...your dental classmates will call you stupid, but you'll be surprised how much it helps. I bought a copy from '01 for around $5 at the used bookstore, and it worked fine for me.

Regarding time spent studying, it's not a question of how many weeks you invest but how you spend them. Upperclassmen friends who did well said the best indicator of success is your performance on the old exams, so I took each of the released exams back to the 1970s under "testing" conditions. This means giving yourself the correct amount of time (1:45 per section, I think?) and minimizing breaks and goofing off. I didn't trust the unreleased exams -- as they are unreleased, the answer keys aren't very reliable. Going through the decks, focusing on those topics on the cards I wasn't very strong in (and reviewing these areas in the USMLE book, my class notes, and Kaplan and outlining these in new study notes), and sitting for each of the old exams took me 5 weeks.
Try not to get discouraged, take a few days off somewhere near the middle of your study period, and "reward" yourself often and you'll do great. Avoid burnout at all costs!

txdent2be2007 said:
First Aid for USMLE Step 1 is your ace in the hole...your dental classmates will call you stupid, but you'll be surprised how much it helps. I bought a copy from '01 for around $5 at the used bookstore, and it worked fine for me.

Regarding time spent studying, it's not a question of how many weeks you invest but how you spend them. Upperclassmen friends who did well said the best indicator of success is your performance on the old exams, so I took each of the released exams back to the 1970s under "testing" conditions. This means giving yourself the correct amount of time (1:45 per section, I think?) and minimizing breaks and goofing off. I didn't trust the unreleased exams -- as they are unreleased, the answer keys aren't very reliable. Going through the decks, focusing on those topics on the cards I wasn't very strong in (and reviewing these areas in the USMLE book, my class notes, and Kaplan and outlining these in new study notes), and sitting for each of the old exams took me 5 weeks.
Try not to get discouraged, take a few days off somewhere near the middle of your study period, and "reward" yourself often and you'll do great. Avoid burnout at all costs!
Great post thanks for the info