Boards!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor TRuth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does an osteopathic physician have to take usmle, while they are taking the oste boards,
both part I and II? If you dont have to take it, is it a better idea to go ahead and take it any way, if you want an allopathic residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I and a number of my friends did not take the USMLE, only the NBOME (now COMLEX). We are all residents at well known programs, including USC ER, UCIrvine FM, UCDavis FM, and others.

However, if you want to go after certain specialties, such as Orthopedics, you will do best to take the USMLE along with the COMLEX. Many ACGME (Allopathic) residencies want you to take the USMLE so they can do a 1:1 comparison of you to your MD colleagues.

The COMLEX is a good test and has been verified by a number of independent organizations as being equivalent with the USMLE, but it would be a big help if they used the same grading scale.

Lee what residency are you and your friends applying for? I am not 100% sure if i want internal medine or family medicine or maybe surgery.....
Which med school did you attend and did you feel there was good preparation provided to you for the boards there? How were your rotations? were they already assigned to you or did you have to pick the hospitals?

thanks for the input

------------------
Khan

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, we're all in our last year (or next to last year) of residency -- so things have changed since we graduated from medical school.

We graduated from Western University in Pomona. It is a good school, and we had excellent rotation opportunities the years that I was there. While I was there we could choose our rotations as long as they met the basic requirements.

For hard working students this led to excellent educations, for the lazy ones, they were able to pick easy rotations and learn nearly nothing. Since I left, the rotations have become heavily assigned.

I think that assigned rotations is the best option for 3rd year students, and that 4th years should get more flexibility, especially during the period when you want to be seen at a site that you want to apply for residency! Most schools seem to do this.

[This message has been edited by Lee A Burnett (edited 01-26-2000).]

Hey, Lee....great to meet an alumni
smile.gif
From my experiences so far, it seems like the best people to talk with concerning boards, classes, residency, etc..are upperclassmen esp at WesternU/COMP. We are currently doing the EOC (Expanding Osteopathic Week) Week at WesternU/COMP w/ Viola Frymann DO and others. Do you still remember doing that before?
smile.gif

I agree with you on the rotations at COMP. We were assigned one block rotations already. Our class is required to be assigned on one 5 month block at a particular hospital. I like it esp going on my 3rd yr because it definitely takes the burden away from trying to get your rotations schedule set-up individually. It sounds very tedious!!! The only disadvantage I see is if you don't like the hospital you were assigned...you are stuck there for 5 months. I think the rotations office is trying to assign all rotations into a block for the 3rd & 4th year for future classes. Thank god our class is not undergoing that at the moment.

I am eyeing residency programs in the East Coast so I defintely would like some flexibility in being able to check out some programs while on rotations at the site.

By the way, where are you doing your last year residency & what program? Thanks for the info...

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Lee,

WHich hospital in your opinion is the best in that area, Loma LInda, UCI etc.
Also did you feel you had adequate preparation for boards at WesternU. What residency did you decide in doing? and when exactly during your medical school did you decided you wanted to do that?

------------------
Khan

Am very concern with the few interships and residency opportunities available for osteopathic graduates in the state of florida. The list of opportunities in the AOA net for the southest is very limited too. Do anybody knows where can I find a more updated information about this matter? I have been accepted to PCOM and NSU-COM and I would like to have this information before making my final decision.

siulrc-
I've been accepted to both NSUCOM and PCOM as well. I chose PCOM because of the clinical opportunities in the 3rd and 4th years, as well as the internship/residency opportunities in the Philadelphia area. Sorry I can't provide you with the info. you requested, but if you have any other questions or comments, I'd be glad to try to help. Good Luck. Maybe we will end up in the same class at PCOM next year.

------------------
JDG
PCOM 2004

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 01-26-2000).]

jdg:
thank you for your insight. let me ask you, how tough was the decision. I am going crazy I like PCOM but I would like to stay in florida. maybe we will end up being classmates after all.

------------------
siul

Siulc...take your pick! Both schools are great & will offer you great opportunities.

Have you checked out the website concerning AOA opportunities. If not, that should help out a bit. Remember that the forefront in you mind when deciding residency or internship is which are BESTS (AOA or AMA) for you & your needs. Considering that Florida is one of the 5 states that require you to do an AOA internship to become licensed as a DO, you will need to research more about AOA opportunities in Florida if thats where you want to be.

You might have to go to the big DO states (Michigan, Penn, NJ, NY) to attend AOA programs if you want to practice in Florida. Good luck to you!!!!

Rob

future doc:
what are the other four states with this requirement from tha AOA.

------------------
siul

siulrc,

The four other states besides Florida that require an AOA internship in order to obtain a license to practice are West Virginia, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Rob & Dr TRuth-

I think that the best hospitals that you'll rotate through in the area are San Bernardino (Arrowhead) and Downey Regional Medical Center. Downey is smaller than Arrowhead, but they've got a great medical education program.

Regarding my specialty, I chose to go into Family Practice. FP has always been my plan, through pre-med and medical school.

I did my osteopathic internship at Downey Regional Medical Center and then transferred as a 2nd year to UC Irvine. I'm planning to practice in a small group in Southern California.

Burnett,
What is the city of Downey like? Is it a nice suburb of LA or is it more like its neighbor Compton? Also what is Colton like?
Just wondering!

Downey or Colton are way off in comparison to a city like Compton. You are right that its a nice suburb of LA but not like Compton. Two of the hospitals there are the so-called big DO hospitals or predominance in southern cali. The other two AOA hospitals are Global Medical Center (formerly US Family Medical) in Montclair & Pacific Hosp in Long Beach. As you can see, there are not very much post-doc opportunities for a lot of DO so thats one of the big reasons a lot pursue the UC residencies if you want to stay around these parts.

Arrowhead in Colton just re-opened their new doors this past summer-AWESOME FACILITY!!! No question that its state-of-the-art when it comes to medicine. They had just started an orthopaedic surgery residency there (a lot of my cali collegues are ecstatic) & its run by a DO who is one of few (MD or DO) who are spinal surgeons in the country. Not bad, eh!?..

I am not from around these parts, but my rule of thumb to take note of the cities mentioned in gangsta rap music (ie Snoop Dog, Dr Dre) before venturing around LA. There is a reason why they mention these infamous cities so often
smile.gif
"Give me the microphone first so I bust like a bubble. Compton & Long Beach together now you know you in trouble...cause it a'int nothing but a G-thang, baby!" Just trying to put a little smile in y'all faces!!! Hope it worked
wink.gif
PEACE!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP CLass of 2002

Thanks Rob. I had heard alot of things about Arrowhead in Colton but not alot about the hospitals in Downey or the city itself. I was unaware that Long Beach was similar to Compton. I thought Long Beach was a fairly nice area. Thanks for the info. By the way, what are the rotation opportunities like in Downey or Colton for someone not attending WUCOMP?

PCSOM2002, all of Long Beach isn't that bad...just certain parts. If you are a tourists is southern cali, it best to go sight seeing with someone who's familiar witht the area...or else you might take a wrong turn & end up in certain places that you don't want to in.
smile.gif

The rotations at Downey & Arrowhead are one of the best in terms of AOA here in southern cali. Also, Pacific Hosp of Long Beach & Global Medical in Montclair. A lot of WUCOMP grads I've met would either go straight AOA residency at the above hospitals OR do just their rotating internship & transfer to the UC programs OR just go straight UC/Loma Linda after medical school.

Eventough Cali is one of the states that has a lot of medical schools, I have yet to see COMP grads run into resistance in the MD world.

If you wanted to rotate through one of the sites, I don't think it would be a problem. You just have to inquire with you school's rotations office & see if its possible. I plan to rotate through the midwest & east coast my 4th year b/c I want to do my residency out there so I don't see why it can't for med students from the east coasr to rotate through the west coast. You probably can get some great rotations through the UC schools also. Just inquire with you school!! Good luck to you!!!!

Rob

Rob,
Thanks for the info. I'm seriously thinking about doing a rotation on the west coast. I was noticiing that with this years match that Arrowhead had 7 openings in their internship and DCH in Downey had 11 openings in their internship, while Montclair had 3 openings. Can you comment on whether these numbers are fairly accurate. It seems hard to believe that a nice facility like Arrowhead has 7 openings. Are these "open positions" taken by out of match people or are they really open?

According to some DMEs of AMA family programs, the number of applicants went down to about 2400 to fill about 3400 slots in family practice this year. So this year most applicants will get their 1st or 2nd choices in the NRMP in March 16. I would guess that would indicate the number of applicants going down for family practice and traditional internship for AOA programs as well.

PCSOM2002, Go for some rotaions out here..I am sure you will get a great experience.

As for the internships, the openings are accurate, but the biggest reason for so many openings is that they are just trasitional internships (almost like a 5th year medical school because you do one month in every specialty but this time you're the intern)....pretty much everyone who wants one in certain areas get them. They are the rotating internships that AOA wants us to get be recognized.

I believe Joe is right....there are not as many applicants this year inlike before. I could be wrong though because AOA just finished their match this month, but AMA-Match is still in march. My freind who is 4th yr wanted just this one hospital (Montclair) to do his FP residency, but he didn't match. I thought he would be worried because he has to scramble now...it didn't seem like it because there are always openings everywhere. You just have to be willing to go to other locations
smile.gif

Rob

There is a COMLEX/USMLE FAQ on the new SDN website (opening in mid-Feb) that can be viewed at: http://studentdoctor.net/do/comlex.html .

It should answer most questions regarding the tests. Plus you can see how the DO part of the new SDN site is going to look.
wink.gif