Bodies, The Exhibition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjmtthws

kjmtthws
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I don't know if anybody has heard of this exhibit that is touring the country that is called "Bodies, The Exhibition". I just went to it in Atlanta and it is absolutely the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I think that I was especially able to appreciate it as I am starting as an M1 in about 2 weeks (will be spending way too much time snorting formaldehyde fumes for 4 months), but I highly recommend it for anybody on this forum that is even within a 3 hour drive of it. Check it out at www.bodiestheexhibition.com.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a chance to see it a while back and it is TERRIFIC stuff. Highly recommended for any aspiring doc! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw Body Worlds and would definately reccommend it. I wan't to see it again if it ever comes around.

I saw Bodies, The Exhibition in New York in early July. I also am starting my first year soon and thought it was amazing. It's pretty impressive some of the things they were able to do. One that sticks out in my mind had just the bones of the skeleton leaning back with arms forward holding on to the rest of the body (muscles, tendons, etc.) leaning back similarly in the opposite direction. You had to look close to see how they got the bones out without disturbing the other tissues.
Also, the parts where the blood vessels were preserved, very cool. Kidneys look like sponges.

I also saw the one in NY and i was amazed. As an MSII I was just in awe at how well those bodies were dissected (of course it took them years and anatomists to do so) but I was quite impressed. The pathology section was equally as amazing because you hear about a lot of diseases and just see them in pictures but seeing them in real life is a whole different experience. I would highly recommend everyone to go see it.

I saw it in Los Angeles a while back, and actually bought the DVD! :D

I saw BodyWorlds in Chicago, and was very impressed by it.

I was planning on seeing Bodies in Atlanta, then I found out something that made me change my mind.

Every body in the "Bodyworlds" exhibit was explicitly donated under the condition "that their bodies should be made available after their deaths for the qualification of physicians and the instruction of laypersons"

The bodies in "Bodies" were obtained from China, where an unclaimed corpse becomes state property. No consent or donation was made. These were just unfortunate people whose bodies were never identified or claimed, and they had no desire to be a part of the exhibit.

That just skeeves me out.

I saw BodyWorlds in Houston. It kicked ass.

And some Baylor MS1's were working at the hands-on part, so that was cool tooo.

ND2005 said:
I saw BodyWorlds in Chicago, and was very impressed by it.

I was planning on seeing Bodies in Atlanta, then I found out something that made me change my mind.

Every body in the "Bodyworlds" exhibit was explicitly donated under the condition "that their bodies should be made available after their deaths for the qualification of physicians and the instruction of laypersons"

The bodies in "Bodies" were obtained from China, where an unclaimed corpse becomes state property. No consent or donation was made. These were just unfortunate people whose bodies were never identified or claimed, and they had no desire to be a part of the exhibit.

That just skeeves me out.
Wow, I didn't know that - now that you mention it, I did think a lot of them looked Asian. That's pretty sucky, because it's a really great exhibit. If that's true I would definitely go check out Bodyworlds instead if possible.

I kinda want to check these out after anatomy to fully appreciate it. That and I want to be obnoxious know it alls with my friends when we go see it. Too bad they are moving to canada..

I saw Bodies in NYC last week. I was amazed at how informative it was, I imagined something more artsy. I felt like I was getting some preparation for MI. The dissections were amazing, I'd actually like to see the techniques used.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a German horror movie based on this premise. Anatomie (2000) , starring Franka Potente from Run, Lola, Run. Not a bad movie, actually.

EDIT: Of course, now I realize that the movie is based on the work of the original artist (Dr. Gunther von Hagens).

dogangel said:
I saw Bodies in NYC last week. I was amazed at how informative it was, I imagined something more artsy. I felt like I was getting some preparation for MI. The dissections were amazing, I'd actually like to see the techniques used.

Yah, I remember hearing that there was some art exhibit that used real human bodies in sculpted poses and with objects inserted in them or something, so when I was in Vegas last month I took up the chance to see Bodies thinking it was what I kept hearing about.. it was a lot more educational than I thought it would be, maybe I went to the wrong exhibit?? However, it was still really awesome to see, tho almost like taking anatomy all over again! haha

Haven't seen Bodies, The Exhibition, but Body Worlds 2 is in Boston now and I'm going tomorrow. :D

I see someone mentioned a Body Worlds 3...are 1, 2, and 3 all concurrent tours of essentially the same exhibit, or do they all have different emphases?

The cadavers in Bodies the exhibition really do look chinese.. hrmm

Saw it in Toronto, was cool.

Nd2005-you're right, I read later in a chinese newspaper that the bodies are actually from prisoners convicted of praticing Falun Gong- the yoga thing that the gvmt says is trying to take over China. They were killed and preserved immediately or something like that to retain ....muscular integrity?

wow, I'm so disrespectful.

in any case, the prisoners never gave permission, and at least by US standards, were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned killed, and then sent to the German guy who does the BW stuff.

i hate it, it was a totally waste of money and time :mad: i am from nyc btw

I actually just saw Body Worlds in St Paul on Monday. Didn't know there was a separate "Bodies, the Exhibition."

FYI www.bodyworlds.com is the website for the exhibit. I discovered that www.bodyworld.com is not. Interesting as it may be...

akpete said:
I actually just saw Body Worlds in St Paul on Monday. Didn't know there was a separate "Bodies, the Exhibition."

FYI www.bodyworlds.com is the website for the exhibit. I discovered that www.bodyworld.com is not. Interesting as it may be...
Clicked for prosperity!

I love that movie. I keep telling my friends about it but no one believes me when I tell them that it's good.

dante201 said:
There was a German horror movie based on this premise. Anatomie (2000) , starring Franka Potente from Run, Lola, Run. Not a bad movie, actually.

EDIT: Of course, now I realize that the movie is based on the work of the original artist (Dr. Gunther von Hagens).