Bogged down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received my step 2 CK score two weeks ago and it was 201. Passed CS. Step 1 score was 215 and studied twice as hard for ck, did all of uworld, took their assessment test and got a 220 on that. I'm applying for medicine and had not submitted my application in hope of a higher CK score. However, it back fired. I finally submitted my application last week and my PS yesterday. I'm mainly looking to get residency in the midwest around MI, IL, NJ, PA. I've applied at 10 places and it's been one week and I have received only 1 interview invite and that too from my own university. I feel like I'm screwed. I thought Medicine wasnt as competitive. What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Received my step 2 CK score two weeks ago and it was 201. Passed CS. Step 1 score was 215 and studied twice as hard for ck, did all of uworld, took their assessment test and got a 220 on that. I'm applying for medicine and had not submitted my application in hope of a higher CK score. However, it back fired. I finally submitted my application last week and my PS yesterday. I'm mainly looking to get residency in the midwest around MI, IL, NJ, PA. I've applied at 10 places and it's been one week and I have received only 1 interview invite and that too from my own university. I feel like I'm screwed. I thought Medicine wasnt as competitive. What do I do?

Apply to more programs. There are enough good programs in the regions that you have described.

Apply to more programs. There are enough good programs in the regions that you have described.

Agree, with RMD, those aren't awful scores. It depends on where you went to medschool as well. Also scores aren't your entire application, your LOR's, your extracirric's, research, etc all come in and make a complete picture of you. Make a few phone calls to the places you want to get into as well in that region, it won't hurt and express your interest, we're late enough in the season for it to be cool to do this.

Dragonfly usually gives really good advice on posts like this, I hope she will comment here as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow sorry to hear that. My step 1 score is way lower than yours; I had barely passed step 1. I'm at 11 invites now.

Not sure why you waited to submit. Your med school dean should have told your class to submit the app asap, even if not all your scores or LORs are in! Invites are first come, first serve. There are probably a good couple hundred sitting before your app right now. It's the honest truth, but what's done is done!

If you submitted last week, then it'll be awhile before the invites start coming. I got my 11th invite today and I submitted as soon as ERAS opened. Secondly, you need to apply to at least 20 programs. Your dean or counselor should have went over this with you, but with your scores, you need to apply to at least that many. I have lower scores than you, and my dean told me to apply to at 25-30 just to be safe!

If you look at the NRMP match statistics, you need at least 9 interviews or 9 places to rank to 99.9% guarantee a match. For you, you need 9 interviews out of the 10 places you applied. That's near impossible, even for some of my friends who have 240s and are applying to IM. Applying is the cheapest part of the process! $25 per app. I would definitely add on at least 10 more tonight after you finish reading this. There are so many programs in that MI/IL/NJ/PA area.

Lastly, neither of your step scores are bad. A lot of programs have a cut off of 200, which have already filtered me out, but you'll be fine at these programs. Take my advice and tack on at least 10 more programs right now.

I think it would only cost him $ 10 /program until he gets to 20... then it costs like $ 15... and then like $ 25 after 30... forgot the exact price scheme.

BUT YEAH --> APPLY TO MORE!

Btw... many places in MI, IL, NJ, PA!

Ask an IM adviser at your school to help you out. You're not screwed... don't get down because of exams. Pick it up and stay positive :)

i think IMs getting a lil more competitive at the university level, but a lot of random community progs are anything but.

i think IMs getting a lil more competitive at the university level, but a lot of random community progs are anything but.

That is true..but having said that, there are a lot of GOOD university and GOOD community programs that would take this person, especially in the particular regions described, if (s)he were to apply to them.

That is true..but having said that, there are a lot of GOOD university and GOOD community programs that would take this person, especially in the particular regions described, if (s)he were to apply to them.

This is very true. No reason to lose hope yet, be persistent...do everything in your power to get some IV's. Talk to your school, your mentors, etc to see what they advise...I think a portion of the IV season is connections...
Good luck! :luck:

P.S. Grrr SDN, I have to be somewhere in 14minutes that is 20minutes away...shiats!

Medstu2006,

Have to agree w/ other posters. 1 IV after only submitting your application 1 wk ago is way too early to start getting scared. Although your situation isn't ideal, the game is far from over. There are a TON of solid IM programs in the midwest, definitely more than the 10 you applied to. And your scores are not low enough to exclude you from a vast majority of them. Remember, you're a USMG w/ solid scores applying to IM in the midwest....ie- the world is your oyster (as long as you have realistic expectations).

Although you mentioned some of the states that you're applying to, are there particular cities that you're restricted to? If not, I would consider checking out the following:

IL:
Univ IL Chicago
Rush
Loyola
SIU (if you don't mind being in Springfield)

Mo:
SLU

MI:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Henry Ford

PA:
UPMC
Temple
Jefferson

IN:
Indiana U (vastly under-rated program)

OH:
THE OSU (I hate the Buckeyes on principal. Nevertheless, they remain a very strong program that's not entirely picky)
Case Western (another favorite)
Case Western-Metro
Cleveland Clinic

WI:
UofWisconsin (PD is a certifiable hippie but outstanding from all reports)

Moral of the story: apply apply apply and be patient...

Good luck :luck:

IN:

I'm biased, but you should add IU to your list if you are interested in midwest programs. We take nearly 40 IM residents a year.

We are somewhat unique, since being the only medical school in the state we rotate at:
University Hospital
Wishard Hospital (the county hospital)
Methodist Hospital (semi-private hospital)
VA hospital (gov't)

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it. I feel a little better. I will definitely add more programs to my list this weekend. What's the difference between working at a university based hospital vs community based? Does it even matter?

I'm biased, but you should add IU to your list if you are interested in midwest programs. We take nearly 40 IM residents a year.

We are somewhat unique, since being the only medical school in the state we rotate at:
University Hospital
Wishard Hospital (the county hospital)
Methodist Hospital (semi-private hospital)
VA hospital (gov't)

Thank you. My mentor actually said the same thing as you did about IU being under rated. I will be applying to it this weekend as well. Thanks a lot.

I agree w/above advice.
The OP needs to apply to more programs. The reason for not getting more interviews @this point is likely that he only applied a week ago.
Those board scores should not be a deal breaker for decent university IM programs in the Midwest. Hopefully there are no adverse things in the dean's letter (like really low grades or disagreements with faculty). If not, he/she should do fine.

It sounds like the OP needs to get some advice from faculty advisor(s). The folks at your school, if they are worth their salt at all, should be able to give you some idea of places you'd have a shot at matching.

I agree with the list above. The OP may also wish to consider U of Kentucky and/or Louisville. The OP could consider U of Iowa - it's pretty academic, but my suspicion is not a ton of people want to move to the middle of Iowa, so that may make it easier to match there.

Also, realize that if you apply to a lot of programs in Chicago they are more likely to be competitive to get into vs. some other programs of similar quality. This is because more people want to live there. Nevertheless, I agree w/trying Rush, UIC and Loyola.

I also agree about IU. It's a university program that has its own fellowships, a good associated med school, etc. It does get cold there in the winter I think.

Medstu2006,

Have to agree w/ other posters. 1 IV after only submitting your application 1 wk ago is way too early to start getting scared. Although your situation isn't ideal, the game is far from over. There are a TON of solid IM programs in the midwest, definitely more than the 10 you applied to. And your scores are not low enough to exclude you from a vast majority of them. Remember, you're a USMG w/ solid scores applying to IM in the midwest....ie- the world is your oyster (as long as you have realistic expectations).

Although you mentioned some of the states that you're applying to, are there particular cities that you're restricted to? If not, I would consider checking out the following:

IL:
Univ IL Chicago
Rush
Loyola
SIU (if you don't mind being in Springfield)

Mo:
SLU

MI:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Henry Ford

PA:
UPMC
Temple
Jefferson

IN:

OH:
THE OSU (I hate the Buckeyes on principal. Nevertheless, they remain a very strong program that's not entirely picky)
Case Western (another favorite)
Case Western-Metro
Cleveland Clinic

WI:
UofWisconsin (PD is a certifiable hippie but outstanding from all reports)

Moral of the story: apply apply apply and be patient...

Good luck :luck:

Oh wow!!! This is great. Thank you very very much. I've applied to Rush, Loyola, the 3 u mentioned in MI and Jefferson. I will definitely be applying to the ones you mentioned as well. Thank you very much again. This is great stuff. :)