BOLC and duty stations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YuckyTeeth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For senior dental students who haven't gone to BOLC yet, if we don't manage to finish all graduation requirements by June 10th, and have to attend the 3 month BOLC course, do we still report to the duty station we're assigned to in April or does that change?

More out of curiosity than anything else. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For senior dental students who haven't gone to BOLC yet, if we don't manage to finish all graduation requirements by June 10th, and have to attend the 3 month BOLC course, do we still report to the duty station we're assigned to in April or does that change?

It could change... usually not... but I've seen it happen! Good luck

Just spoke with the accessions officer for Dental Corps. You will not be allowed to report without having had BOLC except in very special circumstances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just spoke with the accessions officer for Dental Corps. You will not be allowed to report without having had BOLC except in very special circumstances.

So if it takes 3 months versus the 6 weeks to complete BOLC, you will retain the original assigned post (the ones assigned in April, that is)?

So if it takes 3 months versus the 6 weeks to complete BOLC, you will retain the original assigned post (the ones assigned in April, that is)?

Hey, you will keep your assigment. Your entire class (including the vet and med school grads) are in the same boat. They know everyone is going to be a few months late. Healthcare recruiter here and they have been briefing us that if you already have an assignment you will get to keep it, they will just give you a ammended orders or print new orders at BOLC.

Reactions: 1 users
I mention this at this time every year and this seems like the most appropriate thread to say it this year.

Your stipend will stop once you have used all your scholarship benefits – usually when you graduate. I worded that sentence very carefully. Some dental students do not finish their clinical responsibilities by the graduation date, and need to continue in clinic for a period of time. If you have used all your benefits (10 ½ months of stipend for each year of participation) even if your graduation date is delayed, your stipend will stop and you will not receive any Army pay until you do report to BOLC or your first duty station. Start to plan now for a pay-gap from when you graduate/your benefits run out and you report to your first duty station (usually BOLC) after graduation.

Reactions: 4 users
This happened to me. I just reported to my AEGD in late July and then did BOLC afterwards. Didn't get paid from end of May til I reported in July, but I wasn't charged leave. So if you have some savings and/or people you can stay with its kind of a free vacation. It was weird doing BOLC having been in the Army for a year...

Any update on this? I'm fond of my duty station, but it'll be iffy as to whether I'm finished at the end of June, or the beginning.

Thanks very much in advance.