soaringheights

Learning to fly
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Just felt like sharing what it feels to be in Bombay right now, with barely 2 days past the serial bombings...
Bombay has been known for its resilient spirit, for the fact that it has bounced back up after any major calamity, be it natural or man made. But the bombings 2 days ago has finally created a small dent in the spirit of the people here. As I boarded the local train yesterday, the palpable fear in everyone's eyes was very evident, the way the commuters uncomfortably shifted in their seats, eager for their destinations to arrive...
Since the bombings, whenever I leave home, I can never be sure if I'll ever see my family again. I can sense the same fear in everone around me. After the floods in Bombay last year, a lot of the slum population had been diagnosed with PTSD (~30% I guess). Now with the bombings again, there are a lot of somatic symptoms that people are showing. The streets were practically empty for the 1st time ever the day after the bombings..this has never happened before, as even after the '93 riots, the workforce had marked almost 100% attendance. Now however finally, Bombay seems to be cracking up, and the dents will be quite visible in a few months, in the form of increased paranoia, and unrest. I myself find it a bit difficult to concentrate on my work now.
It just seems unreal.

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
SH, I and many others here have been listening to your city's officials discuss the attacks over the last few days. It is hard to imagine exactly how terrifying the days following such an act would be. I'm sorry such a horrible thing happened so close to you. Lately, it seems attacks like these are becoming common place all over the world. If anything, Mumbai's population seems to be very resiliant and this too shall pass. Maybe not as soon as other tradgedies, but in time it will. Let us know if there is something to do to help. I can't think of anything, but you might. Take care.

OP
S

soaringheights

Learning to fly
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Status
Thank you, Psyclops.
Its the whole feeling of being helpless in the face of terrorism that is most irksome...people being butchered in your own city, while you stand frustrated, being unable to help them...
I guess the most that the world can do right now is be aware that terrorism might lurk somewhere near you, and actually do something to curb it...oh forget it, I'll make everyone paranoid on these forums at this rate!

About the Ads