DO Bombed my MCAT am I screwed for DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frees62

Reaction score
I just received my MCAT score and got a 501 -126/126/123/126- CP/CARS/BB/PS. On the AAMC practice test I was getting a 127 on the bio sections, idk what happened. I usually do pretty well on the bio with my background as a physiology TA but the test seemed heavy in genetics/microbio which im not as good at. Anyways, this is my first cycle applying to med school and I only applied DO schools. Given the low Bio score, Im planning to retake at the end of the month. Im just wondering if I am doomed for getting in this cycle, even if I get a better score on my retest? Some background:

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) 501 (126,126,123,126)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): AACOMAS GPAs: Cum: 3.55 Science: 3.5. did poorly my freshman year of college. good upward trend in both overall and science GPA since transferring colleges after my freshman year.
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): MN
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Caucasian
  5. Entering my senior year of college
  6. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): DO school
  7. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
    1. Physiology TA
    2. Worked during the summers as a weekend manager at a marina (Paid employment)
    3. 50 hours physician shadowing
    4. child-life volunteer at children's hospital in the ER
    5. LORS: Physiology prof (undergrad physiology course director), English prof, Prehealth advisor, physician
    6. Deans list (GPA above 3.66) fall 2018- spring 2020.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at several DO schools with your MCAT of 501 and I suggest these:
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
ATSU-SOMA
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM (new school)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive several interviews if you apply to all of them.

Hey @Faha, thanks for the list! Ive already completed my interview at Erie PA back in July and just got an interview invite at ICOM. Here are the schools that I applied to back in June. Do you think some schools will see that Ive added a future MCAT test date and put my application on hold until they see my sept score?

A.T still Kirksville/Arizona
Campbell
CCOM

Edward VIA Carolina/ Auburn / Virginia
ICOM
KCOM
LECOM PA/ FL
Marian
NYIT
Pacific Northwest COM
PCOM
University of Pikeville COM

Members don't see this ad :)
The schools will not put your application on hold. It will be evaluated for an interview based on your score of 501. If you retake in late September they will review your application again with your new score.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @Faha, thanks for the list! Ive already completed my interview at Erie PA back in July and just got an interview invite at ICOM. Here are the schools that I applied to back in June. Do you think some schools will see that Ive added a future MCAT test date and put my application on hold until they see my sept score?

A.T still Kirksville/Arizona
Campbell
CCOM

Edward VIA Carolina/ Auburn / Virginia
ICOM
KCOM
LECOM PA/ FL
Marian
NYIT
Pacific Northwest COM
PCOM
University of Pikeville COM
Med schools do not wait for a new score to arrive. You will be screened based upon your current score.