Bombed my MCAT need advising...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuretrashwoman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just got my MCAT back today (505). I bombed it compared to my practice tests (510,511,512). I take full responsibility and know I can do better on a future exam. I know that there are no September exams left in my area and even if there were I feel like that would be sooooo late in the cycle its not worth it. I have a few questions to ask and would like complete transparency...

STATS:
white, gay female
CA resident
cGPA 3.47 (near perfect non-science GPA)
sGPA 3.2 (SEVERE upward trend)
post-bacc gpa 3.73
ECs:
1600+ hours clinical research (no publications), 350 hours public health research, 200+ hours non-hospital volunteering, 150 hospital volunteering hours, 60 hours MD shadowing

My questions:
-If I apply smartly to non-top tier schools is there any slight chance I could get interviews or an acceptance at MDs
-If I do DO only (I only have 3 I planned on applying to) do I have a shot?

Any help is appreciative even if its not what I would like to hear. Thanks SDN community.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are too low for most MD schools, especially as a CA resident. You could get DO interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
You might be okay for DO schools but save your money on MD schools. Your stats are too low for MD and being from Cali doesn’t help. Good luck on the application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You might be okay for DO schools but save your money on MD schools. Your stats are too low for MD and being from Cali doesn’t help. Good luck on the application.
Thank you so much for replying. I have a quick question tho... if I will already be considered a 2nd time applicant if I hold off on applying this cycle, would it be bad to apply even if I can afford to pay for applying? Will is disadvantage me in anyway if I apply, get rejected, then apply to those same schools with a better score?

Thank you so much for replying. I have a quick question tho... if I will already be considered a 2nd time applicant if I hold off on applying this cycle, would it be bad to apply even if I can afford to pay for applying? Will is disadvantage me in anyway if I apply, get rejected, then apply to those same schools with a better score?
There are CA schools that will wonder what you were thinking (applying with a 505).
Even if that were not true, why go through the experience of relentless rejection?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure what you mean in your question. Have you applied before? Have you submitted a primary this year?

Reactions: 1 user
I had my application verified and only sent to one school (as I waited for my MCAT).
Then that's the only school you'd be a reapplicant at. TBH, I really don't think you should torture yourself. With your GPA, even with the upward trend, you'd be marginal at best for MD even with your target 510. Why not just go all in on DO this year?

They don't need the donations. Spend the cash on your SO instead.

I had my application verified and only sent to one school (as I waited for my MCAT).
You will only be a reapp at the one school listed on your primary. Just apply DO and you’ll probably be done with it. Wouldn’t you sooner be starting med school next Summer? Good luck!