• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

BacardiGirl

Go Gophers!
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2007
Minnetonka
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Well, I the semester is almost over and I am so far getting a D in my General Bio class. Mind you, I am only taking this one class this semester (I already have a non-science/math BS from 1999), but I work 45-50 hours a week fulltime and have not been in any science classes since High School. I have shown the material to friends/family and they agree with me that its not your typical HS science class, its way more difficult than that! I read the assigned readings, show up and take notes, and even do my own research on the material on my own, but I am still doing poorly on the exams. (The lecture exams are multiple choice, the lab ones are open ended). I do pretty decentl on the quizes, but quiz scores are not going to bring my grade up by much. I think I understand what I am learning...so bombing the exams has been disappointing. I am feeling really discouraged that I will not even make it thru the pre-reqs and that I am destined to be working in the financial industry forever (which I absolutely HATE). Do I give up now while its still early?

CCdarling

c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
LA/OC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Definitely don't give up. If you end up failing it, you can always retake it for a better grade. But I have to be honest with you. Basic bio is one of the easier science prereqs that you have to take. So if you're not doing well in it, I'm not sure how well you'll do in the more advance science classes like biochem, molec bio, o chem, etc. Perhaps you're not putting enough effort into it since you're working full time :confused:

About the Ads

CrazyFox

Ex-Pre-Pharmie
10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Don't give up. I bombed Calculus.(Got F).I am actually going to retake it. But that doesn't stop me from pursuing what I want.So don't give up...It's just one class.

thanawalt

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
I am most likely going to get a D in physics II but that's not stopping me. I would retake the class.

pharmgrl5

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Kansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
My cell bio teacher gave us a short speech on study skills right before he handed back the first exam. 7 of us had failed the test so he wanted to make sure we all understood it wasn't over and that it's most likely just study skills needing changed. Um I ended up being one of those people who failed that first exam and his speech didn't stop me from freaking out and withdrawing from the class BUT it did in the end leave me with a big realization. He may just have been right! This was last Fall and I'm looking at taking cell bio again this coming fall 08. My best advice would be to take a good look at your studying and how you are doing it. The way you are doing it might not be the best way for you. Everyone has their own methods that work best for them and you might not have found yours yet. That's ok. Just don't give up! I know how easy it is to feel discouraged by this stuff but really, don't give up. You'll just regret it later. I honestly felt really shook up after that first exam came back with a 43% on it. Literally just rattled, I'd never before gotten a test score like that. So on one hand yeah I did freak out badly and ran away (almost literally, I sunk into my seat as far as I could go then left and cried in my car for awhile) but you know what... it's ok to do that. Just pick yourself back up and keep truckin'.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
I'm retaking Gen Chemistry, arguably a more important prereq than biology, because I didn't get the grade I wanted. So don't give up and try again!

Perhaps you should review your study and test-taking habits. Is there anything you can change or improve on to do better?

Pharmpills

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
sad story but u need to limit ur work hours seriously if u want to succeed u need to set ur priorities. Now when u repeat it both grades will be used so make sure u take 2 easy classes to overide that effect. Now if u keep doing bad in other bio classes then pharmacy isnt for u, u need to focus and start studying early and dont let laziness get to u. i hardly went to class bc it was 8am and still got a B so make sure u go to all ur classes and study early.

PharmDforme

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Well, I the semester is almost over and I am so far getting a D in my General Bio class. Mind you, I am only taking this one class this semester (I already have a non-science/math BS from 1999), but I work 45-50 hours a week fulltime and have not been in any science classes since High School. I have shown the material to friends/family and they agree with me that its not your typical HS science class, its way more difficult than that! I read the assigned readings, show up and take notes, and even do my own research on the material on my own, but I am still doing poorly on the exams. (The lecture exams are multiple choice, the lab ones are open ended). I do pretty decentl on the quizes, but quiz scores are not going to bring my grade up by much. I think I understand what I am learning...so bombing the exams has been disappointing. I am feeling really discouraged that I will not even make it thru the pre-reqs and that I am destined to be working in the financial industry forever (which I absolutely HATE). Do I give up now while its still early?

Definitely don't give up!! This exact same thing happened to me my sophomore year of undergrad. I received a D in gen bio and later retook the class.

This was my first year of applying to pharmacy school. I received two interview offers and I was put into the alternate pool at my third choice. I was accepted at CU and I'm waiting to hear back from New Mexico. There's still hope! I worked really hard in all of my upper division courses to make up for the grade I received in gen bio and it seemed to help. Good luck!!

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
One bad class is OK b/c you can re-take it. If you are really struggling with gen. bio (which should be cake) then pharmacy might be really tough. If its just that the class is sucky then try retaking it with a different professor and maybe the outcome will be a lot better. Oh, and if at all possible try cutting back your work hours, 50 hours/wk is killer while trying to take classes!!

About the Ads

pharmpilot

P1! And surviving!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Ahh, but what if you find yourself struggling with a class after being accepted? Organic II is eating my lunch and I fell like I'm going to be lucky to hold on to my C that I have right now. I'm scared of losing my seat at TTUHSC. :eek:

Does anybody know what happens if you get a D in a class after being accepted???

Pharmpills

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Ahh, but what if you find yourself struggling with a class after being accepted? Organic II is eating my lunch and I fell like I'm going to be lucky to hold on to my C that I have right now. I'm scared of losing my seat at TTUHSC. :eek:

Does anybody know what happens if you get a D in a class after being accepted???

U lose ur seat simple as that especially in orgo unless they take ur summer class for pre-reqs then u can repeat it and pass and most likely be ok. Just give a BS excuse if hey ask why u got a D. Try not to get a D bc if u get a D then what about pharmacy school classes. not sure if u finished ur finals for orgo but gl

pharmpilot

P1! And surviving!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
U lose ur seat simple as that especially in orgo unless they take ur summer class for pre-reqs then u can repeat it and pass and most likely be ok. Just give a BS excuse if hey ask why u got a D. Try not to get a D bc if u get a D then what about pharmacy school classes. not sure if u finished ur finals for orgo but gl

Thanks. I've got one more test and a final. I'm trying my best, but I haven't been this stressed about a class in a long time.

BacardiGirl

Go Gophers!
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2007
Minnetonka
Status (Visible)
Don't give up. You can always retake and make an A the second time. Is there any way you can work fewer hours?

Boy, I WISH I could work less hours...unfortunately at my job (I work in the mortgage industry for the largest mortgage lending bank in the country) is SUPER busy right now, and my 45 hours a week is quite a bit less than what my co-workers are logging in. So...I already look like the slacker on my team (lol, jk..I actually work really efficiently and am one of the best people here in my office).
I guess this first semester back to school was a good taste of what to expect. I had not been in a classroom for 9 years and now I think I am finally adjusted to what it was like all over again. I went to St. Cloud State University for my BS (smallish state school, around 14,000 students) and I find the University of Minnesota (large state school, 30,000+ students) is much, much different and the courses are more intricate. Not to knock SCSU, because I got a fine education there, but it seems like the U of M is more intense, at least that's what I find so far. Course, who knows, times have changed in 9 years and so has technology (with so much being made available online), and the fact that I have a lot more going on in my life. So...I am not going to give up...I am going to keep on plugging away and even if I have to retake Bio, I will at least know what to expect. ;)

BlueCrayon

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2008
Buffalo
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Boy, I WISH I could work less hours...unfortunately at my job (I work in the mortgage industry for the largest mortgage lending bank in the country) is SUPER busy right now, and my 45 hours a week is quite a bit less than what my co-workers are logging in. So...I already look like the slacker on my team (lol, jk..I actually work really efficiently and am one of the best people here in my office).
I guess this first semester back to school was a good taste of what to expect. I had not been in a classroom for 9 years and now I think I am finally adjusted to what it was like all over again. I went to St. Cloud State University for my BS (smallish state school, around 14,000 students) and I find the University of Minnesota (large state school, 30,000+ students) is much, much different and the courses are more intricate. Not to knock SCSU, because I got a fine education there, but it seems like the U of M is more intense, at least that's what I find so far. Course, who knows, times have changed in 9 years and so has technology (with so much being made available online), and the fact that I have a lot more going on in my life. So...I am not going to give up...I am going to keep on plugging away and even if I have to retake Bio, I will at least know what to expect. ;)

You're just going to have to find time for more studying...it's as simple as that! I was out of school for about 9 years as well last semester when I decided to go back. I was also working about 45 hours/week with a house and a 2 year old daughter and I also took Biochem and Physiology. It was tough to say the least, some nights I could barely stay awake to study, but I found time to study whenever I could fit it in and managed to do well. Just try a bit harder and get help if you need it.

Asian Girl

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
You're just going to have to find time for more studying...it's as simple as that! I was out of school for about 9 years as well last semester when I decided to go back. I was also working about 45 hours/week with a house and a 2 year old daughter and I also took Biochem and Physiology. It was tough to say the least, some nights I could barely stay awake to study, but I found time to study whenever I could fit it in and managed to do well. Just try a bit harder and get help if you need it.

Same here, I was out of school 12 years and I decied to go back to school 2 years ago. I work 2 jobs now (1 full time and 1 work at home) but I am going to quit 1 of them soon (don't know how soon yet lol). Besides that, I have 2 children and "wonderful" alcoholic husband but so far my school is still good with 3.4 GPA. Time is a biggest problem for me, that why I'm part time student. I can't study at night because I have to keep track my children studying too and when my husband home....you know how drunk people are. I wake up everyday at 3am to study and find out it's the best time to study too. So I agreed, if you wants to do well then you have to try harder.

AbsoluteEthanol

PHARMACY STUD
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2008
Southern California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Same here, I was out of school 12 years and I decied to go back to school 2 years ago. I work 2 jobs now (1 full time and 1 work at home) but I am going to quit 1 of them soon (don't know how soon yet lol). Besides that, I have 2 children and "wonderful" alcoholic husband but so far my school is still good with 3.4 GPA. Time is a biggest problem for me, that why I'm part time student. I can't study at night because I have to keep track my children studying too and when my husband home....you know how drunk people are. I wake up everyday at 3am to study and find out it's the best time to study too. So I agreed, if you wants to do well then you have to try harder.

LOL whaaaaaat?

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2007
!!!!!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

Kick that husband to the curb and go molest Jensen Ackles, that's what I would do.:)

About the Ads

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2007
!!!!!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Yeah...this board has been quite entertaining lately.

It's because we are here. It'll be even more fun once we are in pharmacy school. I can't believe I'll probably meet my future classmates on SDN this year. :):luck:

CrazyFox

Ex-Pre-Pharmie
10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
It's because we are here. It'll be even more fun once we are in pharmacy school. I can't believe I'll probably meet my future classmates on SDN this year. :):luck:

It will be more even more fun once it's all going to be over....Pharmacy school etc...

alpha12

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
CHITOWN, IL
Status (Visible)

That happens to me a lot. I feel as if my organic grade does not reflect my understanding of the course. You should probably ask your instructor on how to improve if your doing so poorly.

SCCpharm

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Cali
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Don't give up if pharmacy if that is really want you want to do!

BUT the more important question you should be asking yourself is - WHY am I failing?

Examine the questions you got wrong and ask yourself, "Did I know this answer?" If you did, then you need to take more time in the test to understand the question.

If you did not know the answer, then you need to find out why you didn't know the answer. Is the answer in your notes and you did not go over it? Is the answer not in your notes, but in the reading assignment?

Just those types of questions you need to ask yourself to come up with a resolution so that this won't happen again.

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. My first half of the semester I was getting D's on the General BIO tests. What I was doing wrong was that I was just going over the notes from class. My secret to turning my grades around was reading the book. I found that I had to go over the notes and also read the chapters in the book that correlated to the notes. While reading the book, I typed up notes that summarized what I was reading. I also made sure I understood the concepts clearly from the book, which was often times more detailed than the teacher's notes. This worked very well for me. I ended up with a B in that class, but I did this for every science class and I ended up with a ~3.9 science gpa (all A's except that Gen BIO class).

For example, I remember the teacher was teaching on Positive Feedback. In her class notes, she just defined it as "a biological system loop which builds upon itself or increases itself". Now, most students just memorized the definition and said they understood the material. Now for the test, the question was -

Which is an example of a positive feedback system?
a. thermoregulation
b. a sneeze
c. insulin/glucagon system
d. homeostasis

Most of the students that just memorized the definition got the question wrong. However, it just took 10-15 minutes to read the section in the book, which explained it thoroughly and gave examples - so it was an easy question for the people who read the book.

Most importantly, don't blame others, the teacher, or the material (even if it is harder than typical HS science classes) for a bad grade. If you do this, you will never improve. You are the one responsible for your grade.

Happy Hounds

snorfles = happiness
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2007
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
IMO, there are some other issues you will have to address here in order to be successful in future classes.

1) While working may be a necessity right now, it will not be conducive to making the grades you need in future classes, as they will only get harder (organic chemistry is notoriously time-intensive as well as physics.) You might need to reevaluate your financial situation and figure out what you can scale back in order work part-time or have more flexible hours. I worked 40 hours while taking 3 classes, but my hours were relatively flexible (lots of night shifts for one job and telecommuting some of the time for the other.) It IS possible to work and go to school, but you need to allot yourself adequate time to study--typically that's 3 X # credit hours study time outside of class. So if you're taking a 3 credit hour class, you need to allot at least 9 hours of study time throughout the week for that class (ideally.) Note that this formula is thrown out the window for organic chemistry---most likely you'll need to double it.

2) Consider taking a seminar/class on test taking skills. I also understand the frustration of knowing the material but getting stuck on semantics in an exam. There are also courses on study skills--you have to realize that what worked for you years ago may not work the same now. While most people are visual and kinesthetic learners early on, the older they get, the broader their learning styles get (for example: combinations of kinesthetic, visual, auditory, and reading/writing-based learning styles.) Your school's learning center can help you with these things and help you come up with a plan for your own personal study skill makeup.

3) Remember, you can ALWAYS get a tutor to help! Sometimes, having someone else to hash out the details with helps you reinforce what you've learned from another perspective (again, if you've been reading/writing and using visuals to learn, including an auditory component can help solidify your understanding of the material.) Sometimes, the professor's view is too myopic for you to fully grasp what is intended on exams, but by all means, BOTHER your professor until you really understand not only WHAT you missed on exams, but more importantly WHY you missed those questions. Did you misread the question? Overthink the question? Oversimplify? Simply not know the answer? I truly think the best way to perform well on future tests (for a specific professor) is to CRITICALLY analyze your mistake patterns on previous tests and talk to your professor or TA about avoiding those mistakes in the future.

All that said, you'll probably want to retake the class if things don't turn around, but I wouldn't do it until you've addressed all of these issues...

Hope this helps.

Transformer

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I can't imagine what you have to put up with.

All I can suggest is to do some research on your professors before taking their classes.

Like many students, I use:

www.ratemyprofessor.com

take care and good luck.

laimyours

like my hat?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
If you feel like you are overwhelmed I'd suggest a withdrawl, unless you already have a few of them, and retake the class when you can concentrate more on it. You will have to explain the withdrawl but that's not a big deal. Worse case scenario, you apply to pharmacy school and get rejected. Then you ask them what you need to do to improve, and you do what they say, retake classes, etc and try again. I know a guy that was rejected 4 times and finally got in! He was at the top of the class in pharmacy school and made a great pharmacist. If it's truly what you want to do you won't give up and you will strive to be a better student to get to that goal. I know how frustrating sub-par grades can be :mad:

thanawalt

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
Wow. I thought I was screwed. Someone got into Colorado with a D? There is still hope for me with my D in physics. :thumbup:

BacardiGirl

Go Gophers!
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2007
Minnetonka
Status (Visible)
Well I just took my final on Tuesday and got my class grade yesterday...I passed with a 'C.' Not exactly a stellar grade, but I guess not terrible for someone who has been out of college for nearly 10 years, working a fulltime job and never taken a 'real' science class before. I think this will help for my future classes, to know what to expect, how to study, etc...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.