Bond University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Girl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking into med schools in Australia and was wondering if anyone knew much about the new program at Bond University? Is it an internationally recognized med school? What are the admission requirements like? Any information would be appreciated - thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about their program but I do know that generally Australian's are a bit suspicious of bond University as being a palce that people with lots of money go when they can't get in elsewhere on merit. (Of course this applies to courses like commerce or Arts so I can't comment directly on the medicine course...)

While Bond used to have a reputation as being a 'fee only' university this isn't such an issue now, given that almost all universities in Australia have fee-only places. Certainly for an international student there shouldn't be any stigma, since you'll be paying wherever you choose to go.

Bond's med school is brand new this year I think. As a consequence there won't be any information about the quality of the school readily available.

It's located on the Gold Coast, which is Australia's equivalent of hmmm Key West perhaps.

Also on the Gold Coast is another brand new Med School, Griffith:

http://www.griffith.edu.au/er/medicine/

Members don't see this ad :)
Griffith has a new dental school as well. It awards Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science (3 years). Then you are automatically entered into Graduate Diploma in Dentistry (2 years) before you can apply for a dental license in the state of Queensland. I guess gone are the days of Bachelor of Dental Surgery, BDS (or Science)! University of Sydney started awarding BDent (Bachelor of Dentistry) and Melbourne started awarding Doctorate in Clinical Dentistry (DClinDent) instead of Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)!! I guess there can be so many permutations of letters!

BlueToothHunter said:
Griffith has a new dental school as well. It awards Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science (3 years). Then you are automatically entered into Graduate Diploma in Dentistry (2 years) before you can apply for a dental license in the state of Queensland. I guess gone are the days of Bachelor of Dental Surgery, BDS (or Science)! University of Sydney started awarding BDent (Bachelor of Dentistry) and Melbourne started awarding Doctorate in Clinical Dentistry (DClinDent) instead of Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)!! I guess there can be so many permutations of letters!

the DClinDent and MDS are both postgraduate dental degrees at Melbourne.. Not undergrad dental training. Their standard undergrad degree is still the BDS.

If your referring to undergrad dental degrees. The BDent at Sydney is a 4-year graduate-entry program similar to equvilent DDS/DMD programs in North America.

The only one I find a bit odd is the dental program at Griffith which again is a private university. The degree BOH (bachelor of oral health) is a dental hygiene degree. I'm a bit suspect of a dental school that allows you to practice dentistry after only dental hygiene training and then 2 years of dental school.

Just to clarify things: Griffith is in fact not a private university.

There are only currently three private universities in Australia: Bond, Melbourne Private, and Notre Dame in Western Australia.

From a news article today: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12417479-2,00.html

"Currently, just three private institutions, Bond University, University of Notre Dame Australia and Melbourne University Private are allowed to claim the title of university."

Interestingly, Notre Dame is about to (or has?) start it's own medical school too.

http://web.nd.edu.au/acadc/med/index.shtml

Surely medicine at Melbourne Private is only a step away?

DrRockit said:
From a news article today: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12417479-2,00.html

"Currently, just three private institutions, Bond University, University of Notre Dame Australia and Melbourne University Private are allowed to claim the title of university."

Interestingly, Notre Dame is about to (or has?) start it's own medical school too.

The article states ..Overseas private universities are opening in australia.
Is Notre Dame not an Australian university? I have heard of Notre Dame in the US. Is this just an extension of the US University's campus?

Thanks for the feedback. I am wondering if I go to Bond for Med, will I be able to practice in Canada (it's hard, I know) or in the States? Is it an internationally "recognized" school? Is there a website I can go to for that information? And does anyone know if it's easier to practice in Canada after residency/working in the States?

I guess the idea of not being able to practice at home (in Canada) is a little daunting and would play a big role in my decision to go into medicine (overseas) in the first place

There is always the risk of not being able to practice in your home country when you go to an overseas medical school.