bone biopsy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehul_25

Dude!!!
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my ortho spine guys asked me if I do vertebral body biopsies. he was looking for a C6 or 7 pedicular biopsy. Anyone do these or have any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my ortho spine guys asked me if I do vertebral body biopsies. he was looking for a C6 or 7 pedicular biopsy. Anyone do these or have any comments?

Technically it does not appear that difficult. As never having done one or seen one, I'll pass. DOes Fenton have a description? I'm guessing the MD Anderson folks see this kind of stuff.

hmmm... i'd punt it to IR under CT scan... i'd hate to bx the vertebral artery

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm... i'd punt it to IR under CT scan... i'd hate to bx the vertebral artery
why are you anymore likely to end up in the vert when doing a vertebral biopsy than when doing a vertebroplasty?

Ampa, if you're doing cervical vertebroplasty - you've got bigger balls than I do! Besides, cervical vertebroplasty is best done from an anterior-oblique (like cervical disco) or even trans-oral approach, not posterior transpedicular. Getting pedicle screws in the C-spine is dangerous and tough even with stereotactic guidance.

Would punt this to neurointerventional unless you have access and experience with CT guided cervical procedures.

That all being said, lumbar and thoracic vertebral bone biopsies are a piece of cake.

Ampa, if you're doing cervical vertebroplasty - you've got bigger balls than I do! Besides, cervical vertebroplasty is best done from an anterior-oblique (like cervical disco) or even trans-oral approach, not posterior transpedicular. Getting pedicle screws in the C-spine is dangerous and tough even with stereotactic guidance.

Would punt this to neurointerventional unless you have access and experience with CT guided cervical procedures.

That all being said, lumbar and thoracic vertebral bone biopsies are a piece of cake.
Nope - didn't realize it was cervical - completely agree with the consensus - punt!

anybody who does trans-oral vertebroplasty has got a lot of cojones - just think of the oral flora entering the vertebral body - yuck!

Josh Hirsch published a good case on a C2 vertebroplasty i think...

I deferred... I was just curious to see if anyone else has done it. Interestingly, IR passed too...that is how the question got asked of me.