Bones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolchix321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are bones not on the MCAT anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

I had one discrete question about it.. which ended up being fairly easy. But there's really not a whole lot to know about bones anyways. So learn it just incase.

what do you mean by bones? like the anatomy of bones? well thats not on it, there's not much anatomy on the MCAT to begin with any way. However, if you are talking about concepts such as bone remodelling (i.e. osteoblats and osteclasts) well I would imagine that is still on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
bones, as it relates to PTH and calcitonin, are surely tested

Bones sort of belong to the muscular system, the only thing you need to know is

1. Bones = bone marrow = site of formed elements in blood (RBC, Leuoctyes, platlets)

2. Osteoblasts and osteoclasts (I don't htink anyone doesn't know this lol)

3. Parathyroid and Calcitonin and how it relates to serum Ca2+

So nothing about canaliculi, Haversian canals, etc...

That might pop up in the passage but you won't be required to know it. I mean that is more anatomical you know? I don't think I have ever seen a question that required you to know about Haverian Canals w/o giving it away in the passage?

You don't need to know anatomy, as in the locations of the bones in the body. However, I think you do need to know those things regarding canaliculi and haversian canals, etc.
Also, stuff like the diaphysis (contains marrow for lymphs, white blood cells, and also contains adipose), epiphysis (red marrow, and site of red blood cell production), epiphyseal plate (site of growth)