iheartmcats

5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Status
Pre-Medical
I had one discrete question about it.. which ended up being fairly easy. But there's really not a whole lot to know about bones anyways. So learn it just incase.

About the Ads

OPPforlife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Clemson SC
Status
Medical Student
what do you mean by bones? like the anatomy of bones? well thats not on it, there's not much anatomy on the MCAT to begin with any way. However, if you are talking about concepts such as bone remodelling (i.e. osteoblats and osteclasts) well I would imagine that is still on it.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
bones, as it relates to PTH and calcitonin, are surely tested

Jul 27, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
bones, as it relates to PTH and calcitonin, are surely tested

Bones sort of belong to the muscular system, the only thing you need to know is

1. Bones = bone marrow = site of formed elements in blood (RBC, Leuoctyes, platlets)

2. Osteoblasts and osteoclasts (I don't htink anyone doesn't know this lol)

3. Parathyroid and Calcitonin and how it relates to serum Ca2+

Jul 27, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
So nothing about canaliculi, Haversian canals, etc...
That might pop up in the passage but you won't be required to know it. I mean that is more anatomical you know? I don't think I have ever seen a question that required you to know about Haverian Canals w/o giving it away in the passage?

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't need to know anatomy, as in the locations of the bones in the body. However, I think you do need to know those things regarding canaliculi and haversian canals, etc.
Also, stuff like the diaphysis (contains marrow for lymphs, white blood cells, and also contains adipose), epiphysis (red marrow, and site of red blood cell production), epiphyseal plate (site of growth)

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
no. know anatomy as it relates to physiology, not anatomy in and of itself.

About the Ads