Bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haujun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone received bonus? I checked with my local hospital administrator who said that my contract is pending from OTSG for last two months. He says that there may be delays for 3 month as military transition to new system.

I think this is one of reason that military doctors get out. We never receive our small bonuses on time!

Members don't see this ad.

same story for people at MAMC. our OIC said OTSG said it would be 90 days "or more." my contract was submitted and signed by the hospital commander 2 months ago-- I won't hold my breath come next pay period. it's ironic since i'll be writing them a check for 3 months of ISP at some point and if I waited 3 months to pay them there'd be interest attached..

I'm sure the sudden influx of bonuses was a surprise considering it has only been done this way for decades.

--your friendly neighborhood just give me my damn money caveman

Come on, now. This sort of thing is only a priority for you. Bonuses, like CME, ODE, and practicing within your specialty are privileges.

Members don't see this ad :)
What sucks the most is that I have no doubt they'll stop all the old bonuses 1 July and we will get a significant pay cut (vsp and bcp) gone while we wait for the new bonuses to start.

same story for people at MAMC. our OIC said OTSG said it would be 90 days "or more." my contract was submitted and signed by the hospital commander 2 months ago-- I won't hold my breath come next pay period. it's ironic since i'll be writing them a check for 3 months of ISP at some point and if I waited 3 months to pay them there'd be interest attached..

I'm sure the sudden influx of bonuses was a surprise considering it has only been done this way for decades.

--your friendly neighborhood just give me my damn money caveman

The one option that I was given about the payback, was the option to 'contest' the debt. I don't know how that would work, and while I doubt we will get this money back, the angst will be high if a payback is enacted without fulfilling the contract by starting our pay.

Got mine last night. I think they screwed it up. Was expecting to be transitioned to the monthly scheme, but it looks like they lump summed another full MSP year for me.

Which is fine by me, unless they try to change and correct the error.

One of the more irritating things about military special pay, even when it's actually on time, is that the money just appears with no line item description of what it's for.

Got mine last night. I think they screwed it up. Was expecting to be transitioned to the monthly scheme, but it looks like they lump summed another full MSP year for me.

Which is fine by me, unless they try to change and correct the error.

One of the more irritating things about military special pay, even when it's actually on time, is that the money just appears with no line item description of what it's for.
Glad you got paid!! What branch are you?? This was just the multi year bonus correct? My wife is Army too and haven't seen her multi year come through yet.

Navy.

I apparently wasn't converted to the monthly scheme. I don't know if that was an error, or a consequence of my unusual anniversary date. I renegotiated my 4-year MSP contract before I started FTOS fellowship in order to exploit the ADSO loophole, which realigned my annual pay date to 30 June.

It's nice to get paid (and on time too!) but some transparency and communication would be nice. I submitted all of the requests and command-endorsed memos to switch over to the monthly scheme, because that's what they told me to do, and it appears all of that went in the round file.

Navy.

I apparently wasn't converted to the monthly scheme. I don't know if that was an error, or a consequence of my unusual anniversary date. I renegotiated my 4-year MSP contract before I started FTOS fellowship in order to exploit the ADSO loophole, which realigned my annual pay date to 30 June.

It's nice to get paid (and on time too!) but some transparency and communication would be nice. I submitted all of the requests and command-endorsed memos to switch over to the monthly scheme, because that's what they told me to do, and it appears all of that went in the round file.

I think the same thing happened to me as well. As noted though I have no clue since it won't be annotated until next months LES (if it's annotated at all).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yep, samething happened to me, I got my old-school MSP and ASP and I'll probably get my ISP on Weds (there has always been a limit on how much can be deposited into an account on a single day). This occurred despite submitting amended CSP contracts in early May (and getting the form letter email receipt that they were received). It is amazing how incompetence is ingrained in the DOD culture- they had about a decade to get ready for this conversion.

Looked at my mid month LES and it doesn't appear the Army will be paying us on time for the new bonus structure. Still no July 1 MSP for my wife either which they claimed would remain on schedule. can we charge them 2.5% interest?! Only seems fair...

We received the medical corps newsletter and it indicated we may have to wait up to 90 days for the pay to be updated. As already stated above, just an incredible surprise this was coming July 1.

our pay person said this "after july 1 i need you to submit your license, your latest apft card and your credential packet so i can submit your packet for your pay"

everyone i ask about this (even the pay person herself) says "what the heck is a credential packet?" who knows when they will get my credentials approved. also, i have my signed certificate showing i graduated residency and also proof that i passed my board exam...what more do they need to start paying me as a board-certified attending?!?? so frustrated

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
We just noticed that my wife hasn't been receiving BCP in several months. Our special pay office says they knew about this and it was a widespread glitch in the system and just hang on and it'll eventually get fixed. Also kind of them to let us know...seemed like they were hoping we wouldn't notice (and we almost didn't...shame on us). Mine is still being paid but check your LES and make sure. This roll out seems like a true sh!*show.

Yep. Very disgruntled to see mid month LES show no bonus. I want my 2.5% interest for late payment.

Reactions: 1 user
Typically ASP was typically paid on time but even this is not happening this year...food and money are two things that military should not screw up. Not the case for military physicians...

Well, the Navy took a good 4-6 months to get this straightened out and paid on time. Wouldn't really expect any different from anyone else.

Well, the Navy took a good 4-6 months to get this straightened out and paid on time. Wouldn't really expect any different from anyone else.

Navy still hasn't figured it all out a year later... those who had MSP contracts and therefore didn't need to convert until this July are getting their pay messed up now according to several reports I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone received bonus? I checked with my local hospital administrator who said that my contract is pending from OTSG for last two months. He says that there may be delays for 3 month as military transition to new system.

I think this is one of reason that military doctors get out. We never receive our small bonuses on time!

My mid month pay appears to have started the new pay system....granted no breakdown in dfas for mid month pay so who knows. On a separate note, I haven't seen my BC pay in over a year and it's been a pain to try and get that turned back on and get backpay for it

My mid month pay appears to have started the new pay system....granted no breakdown in dfas for mid month pay so who knows. On a separate note, I haven't seen my BC pay in over a year and it's been a pain to try and get that turned back on and get backpay for it
Nice! I'm glad someone is getting paid! What branch are you?

I think Army is not getting paid on time this year. Navy got screwed in the past so I am glad that they are doing better.

I think the same thing happened to me as well. As noted though I have no clue since it won't be annotated until next months LES (if it's annotated at all).

I heard from my command's special pay person. Since my MSP anniversary date was 30 June, they paid that ISP/MSP lump sum that day. I missed this year's conversion by 1 day. (Yay! Happy to get one last year of bonuses up front.) However, I'm still owed the other legacy pays (15 ASP, 8 VSP, 6 BCP) and they say that $29K will be paid 1/12 each month for the 7/1/2017 to 6/30/2018 period. But my IP/BCP paperwork hasn't been processed yet, so my July pay hasn't changed ... I will get back pay to July 1st, eventually.

I am skeptical it'll work out that smoothly though, since my IP request was specifically for the amount that includes the 4-year multi contract. Since I got ISP for the year already, that amount is now wrong.

On the other hand, they seem to have no difficulty unilaterally altering signed contracts :) so maybe they'll just ignore the amount specified in my paperwork and pay me the correct amount. Enough left turns equal a right turn, right?

Another LES, another pay period with no implementation. I'm shocked

they kicked mine back with the explanation that I should get paid the peds bonus and not the subspecialty bonus. nevermind the fact I've been getting the subspecialty bonus for years. this is what happens when GS-5's do our special pays. have been arguing via email about this since last Friday. nothing surprises me anymore.

--your friendly neighborhood making me scratch for my paltry $500 more a month than a generalist caveman

For the AF, my friend talked to DFAS yesterday who said they were processing contracts in the order received and were currently on contracts they'd gotten June 9. They said to expect processing of our contracts in 3 weeks (submitted June 25) with payment an additional 6-8 wks from that time. We will be back-paid to the contract effective date.

For the AF, my friend talked to DFAS yesterday who said they were processing contracts in the order received and were currently on contracts they'd gotten June 9. They said to expect processing of our contracts in 3 weeks (submitted June 25) with payment an additional 6-8 wks from that time. We will be back-paid to the contract effective date.

Back pay, that we will have to pay back with interest .

Army here. Looks like my first check with the new system is Monday. I got my recoupment letter yesterday with the total amount equal to 3 months of October bonus and the July VSP and BCP. I was told you only pay back the "net disbursed" amount on the letter. My October bonus was 20 and my total owed was 6208 (5k from October, 1k vsp, 208 board cert) with a net of around 3500 owed back. You get the option of lump sum paid via money order or cashiers check vs allotments. Hope that helps those still waiting!

Army here. Looks like my first check with the new system is Monday. I got my recoupment letter yesterday with the total amount equal to 3 months of October bonus and the July VSP and BCP. I was told you only pay back the "net disbursed" amount on the letter. My October bonus was 20 and my total owed was 6208 (5k from October, 1k vsp, 208 board cert) with a net of around 3500 owed back. You get the option of lump sum paid via money order or cashiers check vs allotments. Hope that helps those still waiting!

Thanks for the heads up. Saw the LES for this coming paycheck that looks like finally getting bonus. Haven't seen letter in mail yet.

Hmm when did you guys submitted contract to OTSG? My local special pay representative submitted my contract in May but OTSG has yet to review mine.

Any army folks get there special pay yet? Cuz I sure the heck haven't. What gives??!

Nope..... no changes to my LES yet either....... frustrating

in theater-- 2 of my colleagues received theirs this month, myself and 2 others are still waiting.

--your friendly neighborhood floating the government a free loan caveman

I have 2 annotations at the bottom of my Aug LES telling me a bonus is coming Oct 1.
What's this?...all of us acting like we are waiting some refund check from IRS...I don't know about you but I had a big dream about my life...Army just lower my expectation to a new lower level and I am just not surprise anymore

I think my pay is finally correct. I had a pay increase just now that is approximately ball-parkish correct for my missing non-MSP/ISP special pays. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to do the math though, so I'm going to see how the next deposit settles out and then go ask one of the E3s in the pay office to explain it to me.

I think my pay is finally correct. I had a pay increase just now that is approximately ball-parkish correct for my missing non-MSP/ISP special pays. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to do the math though, so I'm going to see how the next deposit settles out and then go ask one of the E3s in the pay office to explain it to me.
Straight out of Meridian, with your O-5 six at their mercy!

Tax implications. If they take back 3 months of bonus pay this tax year (that I already paid taxes on last year), do I need to file an amendment to last years return? Or will it come out in the wash this year as loss of pay this year? OR....worst case, this year's bonuses don't hit this year and we get paid in next tax year increasing my tax burden next year?

Tax implications. If they take back 3 months of bonus pay this tax year (that I already paid taxes on last year), do I need to file an amendment to last years return? Or will it come out in the wash this year as loss of pay this year? OR....worst case, this year's bonuses don't hit this year and we get paid in next tax year increasing my tax burden next year?

Curious about this as well. Started getting pay last month. First check larger than expected and second check smaller. But it looks like they calculated the paying me the old school VSP, BCP and then paid me the new combined pay and then instantly recouped that 1 month of old school VSP and BCP. Ok, no worries. So got my email from the pay office and it shows my total owed is 9K (1/4 of my 36K bonus from last October). So I guess I'm paying back gross and not net . Can't see that becoming a pain come tax time.

I'm not a tax expert, but I think all the IRS cares about is when the dollars from an employer are deposited in your account.

If your employer pays you in 2017 for work you did in 2016, it goes on your 2017 return, no?

I'm not a tax expert, but I think all the IRS cares about is when the dollars from an employer are deposited in your account.

If your employer pays you in 2017 for work you did in 2016, it goes on your 2017 return, no?

Agreed. But the way the it appears they are structuring the payback, I will be repaying the pre tax amount with post tax dollars. So I'll actually be paying taxes twice on that amount.

caveat...if it shows up on a 2016 LES. it is taxed in 2016. same can be said for TSP distributions.

Agreed. But the way the it appears they are structuring the payback, I will be repaying the pre tax amount with post tax dollars. So I'll actually be paying taxes twice on that amount.

This appears to be what's happening to me as well (Navy). Got bonus earlier this year and they recouped the pre-tax amount they'd paid in 2016. When I inquired as to basically paying taxes twice on the same money they told me they couldn't do anything about that

This appears to be what's happening to me as well (Navy). Got bonus earlier this year and they recouped the pre-tax amount they'd paid in 2016. When I inquired as to basically paying taxes twice on the same money they told me they couldn't do anything about that

Yep. That was confirmed in an email I received from the finance office this morning inquiring to the same thing. Basically said that they were required to recoup the pre-tax amount and there was nothing else they could do. However told me that it would get adjusted in my taxes . Also, in order to do the installments, you have to submit a letter of hardship. Otherwise they will just take the entire balance in the next pay period.

Well, I guess this answers the tax question.
375133f7df44dc67b511541c7154528e.jpg

Given significant delay of payment from July to Oct the military should consider giving option of changing contract date to Oct so those physicians who received MSP and ISP from last year don't need to pay three months gross prorated amounts. However I am sure most of us would love get out in May using 60 days leave! Delay bonus payment just basically mean military just don't care about doctors!

Yep. That was confirmed in an email I received from the finance office this morning inquiring to the same thing. Basically said that they were required to recoup the pre-tax amount and there was nothing else they could do. However told me that it would get adjusted in my taxes . Also, in order to do the installments, you have to submit a letter of hardship. Otherwise they will just take the entire balance in the next pay period.
On the Army side they very clearly stated that we would receive an indebtedness letter from DFAS with the option of paying back over 3 or 12 months vs a lump sum. Has anyone received one of these? I'm a little concern I won't get paid in the next few months. Knowing the government, they will wait until December and not give me a paycheck for Christmas.