Book for GRE psych studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynamicmind01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I already took my psych GRE and did well, but a friend of mine is looking for a good Textbook (NOT study book like Kaplan or Barrons) to study from.

Any good intro textbooks that are the best?

Someone told me the test is based out of an actual book?

Members don't see this ad.

problem is that there are so many introduction to psych texts out there.

problem is that there are so many introduction to psych texts out there.

I agree. Is your friend also going to use a study book? It'd be a good idea.

I used the study book. For topics I felt I needed more detail about, I used a text book.

Members don't see this ad :)
the one by Glietman, Gross, and Reisberg simply called "Psychology" is held in high regard.

this seems to be the most exhaustive intro text i have come across

and no, the test is not based on any particular book, but there will be a lot of stuff from intro books on the test.

you might want to also suggest reading through a research methods book as well, an intro book will only go so far with this

ha... i used the Glietman one when I took intro psych.

I think your friend is way too stressed about the subject test. Intro psych books are really long and cost a ton. I would just stick to Kaplans--I did really well by just memorizing the book.

I think your friend is way too stressed about the subject test. Intro psych books are really long and cost a ton. I would just stick to Kaplans--I did really well by just memorizing the book.

I got a cheap previous edition on Amazon's marketplace as I have been out of school for a long time and I was not a psych major.

But I did eventually get more out of Kaplan. An intro can be a good reference though- especially if you were not a major.

I also used Kaplan's book to review probably about 95% of the information and used an Intro book along with the Internet for more in-depth information on topics that I wasn't as familiar with. I only had 6 days to study and scored a 720.
With that, I strongly suggest Kaplan!

Same here! I studied almost exclusively from Kaplan and did really well. For the few topics I didn't think were explained thoroughly enough in the book, I just looked them up on the internet to supplement.