Book for Pharm: Lippincott or Katzung?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loca Dr. chica

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school doesn't have an assigned textbook for pharmacology, so I was wondering if anyone had any preferences for textbooks, specifically between Lippincott and Katzung/Trevor. I'd want to get one that could be used as a text for the class and for Boards review

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I like the more thorough detail that Katzung can offer in comparison to Lippincott. Even though, the pharm book for Lippincott has nice illustrations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lippincott all the way! That book is a lifesaver for me :)

Another vote for Lippincott's here. Good pics, good for ancillary use in class and for boards studying.

nosugrefneb said:
Another vote for Lippincott's here. Good pics, good for ancillary use in class and for boards studying.

From what I've heard from my professors is that Lippincott has alot of errors and information that is just plain wrong. I used Katzung, but the smaller baby version (exam and board review). It gives you just enough info and organizes everything into nice groups. It also has some USMLE type questions at the end of each chapter. Can't go wrong with that book!

ToPa5579 said:
From what I've heard from my professors is that Lippincott has alot of errors and information that is just plain wrong.
They say that about everything that isn't Katzung. I had both the big and the little Katzung and never cracked either one the whole year. Too many trees, not enough forest.

And, to continue the metaphor, your professors will tell you about all the trees they consider important. Lippincott will show you the forest, and you won't really get that any other way.

Our school recommends Katzung's book, which I haven't looked at.

I just wanted to mention this, though:

Make sure you check out your school's online library access. OU, for instance, subscribes to boatloads of online resources. I can read Robbins Pathology book and the Katzung Pharmacology books online for free, and I know there are hundreds of others out there.

If you're a med student on a tight budget (that's redundant, isn't it?) you might check it out to avoid spending money on a book you never/rarely use.

both are good

BUT .. Lippincott seires consipt maps and correlations are just PERFECT !!!