book for rotation & instructional videos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much would you be willing to pay to rent videos produced by faculty?

• $3

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • $4

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • $5

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • $6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $7

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

jf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a fourth year med student that will be doing emergency medicine next year. I have an ophtho rotation coming up and would like a nice, concise book for the rotation. Is clinical ophtho made ridiculously simple any good?

I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I read that book as a med student and thought it had some good stuff in it. The American Academy of Ophthalmology book "Basic Ophthalmology for Medical Students and Primary Care Residents" is also good and has many nice color pictures (unlike the ridiculously simple book) and is still a reasonable length (150 pages, ~25 of which are review questions). As you can tell from the title, it's prepared by ophthalmologists for someone just like you. Personally, this is the book I would recommend. I'm planning on reading it again later this year to review the basics before I start my ophtho residency.

You can get if for cheap from a previous owner on Amazon (same as RS book):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-0370006-7219830?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Some people might also recommend the Lange book (also called Vaughn?) but I never used that book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
If you could rent a video that is downloadable to your computer to help you with learning to perform the ophthalmology exam, then would you rent it? How much would you rent it for?

depends on the length of the video. I might be hard pressed to shell out as much as $5 for 5 minutes of video, but maybe $3 for 30 minutes.

I think you might have some success marketing such a video directly to faculty at other Ophthomology programs. You could sell it to them to show the students. I don't know how successful you would be selling it to non-Optho interested med students, but you might have a lil more success selling to sub-Is. Still, your market might be limited selling to students versus advertising costs.

For example, our ENT rotation has a video produced by Yale that they show us. I don't know if they actually paid for the video though.

Neuronix said:
I think you might have some success marketing such a video directly to faculty at other Ophthomology programs. You could sell it to them to show the students. I don't know how successful you would be selling it to non-Optho interested med students, but you might have a lil more success selling to sub-Is. Still, your market might be limited selling to students versus advertising costs.

For example, our ENT rotation has a video produced by Yale that they show us. I don't know if they actually paid for the video though.

Thanks Eric. We plan on marketing to medical schools and ophthalmology programs. We're working on a video that will help students do better on their rotations. Every medical student needs to know the basic ophthalmic exam and the rationale behind it. This video will also help primary care providers too (e.g., family pratice)

Andrew_Doan said:
Thanks Eric. We plan on marketing to medical schools and ophthalmology programs. We're working on a video that will help students do better on their rotations. Every medical student needs to know the basic ophthalmic exam and the rationale behind it. This video will also help primary care providers too (e.g., family pratice)

Dr Doan or others, does anyone know how many medical schools (roughly) have a formal ophthalmology class taught in the first 2 years?

Andrew_Doan said:

Depending on copy protection, you will likely see an initial surge in $ (hopefully at least paying for the production costs and initial profit) and then little from then on as each school gets a copy and starts burning it for each other.

Less $, but if your main aim is dissemination of useful info, it will actually be better to just have it be weak copy protection.

Fantasy Sports said:
Depending on copy protection, you will likely see an initial surge in $ (hopefully at least paying for the production costs and initial profit) and then little from then on as each school gets a copy and starts burning it for each other.

Less $, but if your main aim is dissemination of useful info, it will actually be better to just have it be weak copy protection.

There's a fine line between copy protection and allowing people to make legal copy for themselves.

The more $$$ spent in copy protection means the more $$$ passed on to the consumer. I'm more interested in the dissemination of useful educational materials at an affordable price. I am tired of seeing textbooks and videos in the $200-600 range. In my opinion, I think if the material is hot enough to copy, then it's free advertisement for the authors.

Additionally, if educational material is offered at a reasonable price, then I think people will buy it rather than finding someone to copy it for them.

A great example is Apple's iTunes. At $0.99 a song, people tend to buy the songs than pirate them. ;)

What type of review topics do you all want accompanied with this examination video? Review of common diseases? Review of common disease findings?

jf said:
Hi,

I am a fourth year med student that will be doing emergency medicine next year. I have an ophtho rotation coming up and would like a nice, concise book for the rotation. Is clinical ophtho made ridiculously simple any good?

I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks

There is a book called "Practical Ophthalmology: A manual for beginning residents" that I used. It is pretty concise, gives nice overview of basic anatomy, common diseases, and particularly goes into detail regarding refraction and other examination techniques.