book money--what to buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowhead

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about $775 in my book fund left to spend before finishing residency. Any suggestions? I think I have all the materials I need for the written boards and obviously already have the major texts for general practice like Barash, Anes. and Co-existing Disease, all the books in the Practical Approach series, etc. Any recs for the oral boards? Any less popular books that you found helpful?

I am not doing a fellowship and will be going into practice in a major level I trauma center where I will be expected to basically do everything including a little bit of CT, very occasional peds, and a hefty amount of acute pain.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yao and Artusio's text is excellent.
Chestnut's OB Anesthesia text if that will be part of your practice.
I still like the Cousins and Bridenbaugh Neural Blockade text. It is very good for regional and pain stuff. Not good as an "atlas," but good to help you learn more about the science behind it. Also, the Hadzic Regional anesthesia text is pretty good.
I will echo the Board Stiff text. Pretty simple and cheap, but very helpful IMHO.

Do you have to order the books through your program or the university library? Or can you just order off of amazon and turn in your receipt?

Need to unload big red, it is new, $225

Big Red is Big Blue reorganized without much new stuff. I personally was not impressed, but that was several years back.

You are of great help to the person selling big red.

:rolleyes: