Book Recommendations and Which MCAT Prep Classes to Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkDorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this question had probably been asked a million times but I thought I would ask because the classes are quite expensive. Which classes would you recommend? I was planning on taking classes with The Princeton Review but just wanted to hear the opinion's of people who actually took classes. Also, on top of the books that the prep classes will give you, what other books would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3.Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3.EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3.EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook,good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Reactions: 1 users
Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3.Kaplan
Physics: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook,good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics
Hey SN2ed, I think I've seen you or another member post this on another thread. I was just wondering if this list is the most up to date on which book is best for each section

Do you think I would be able to go through the books you listed while also doing a prep course with The Princeton Review?

Members don't see this ad :)
SN2ed's list is very good (and my list below heavily reflects his opinion). I would personally scrap EK101 verbal for TPR Hyperlearning Verbal automatically, though. It's also missing one of the newer resources in the AAMC Self-Assessment which I highly, highly recommend.

You also need to take into account your personal study schedule and needs. I posted an in-depth review of each book and the type of student/needs I feel they are best for.. give it a read if you're still unsure which set(s) you should pursue.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...he-mcat-study-plan-picking-resources.1045943/

Based on this, do you think it's worth updating "Which do you prefer strictly for content, TPRH or BR?" in the 3 month break down thread? BR and TPRH seem to be almost equal in that thread where as here you say "BR, by far" ... What makes you change your mind? Just curious. I've been using BR for everything and am happy with the content.

Based on this, do you think it's worth updating "Which do you prefer strictly for content, TPRH or BR?" in the 3 month break down thread? BR and TPRH seem to be almost equal in that thread where as here you say "BR, by far" ... What makes you change your mind? Just curious. I've been using BR for everything and am happy with the content.

"strictly for content" they are pretty much the same

that list is including practice passages, I'd guess.. which makes TBR easily the better choice (though I wouldn't say "by far").

"strictly for content" they are pretty much the same

that list is including practice passages, I'd guess.. which makes TBR easily the better choice (though I wouldn't say "by far").

I think it is the better choice because applying concepts through practice passages is far more important than reviewing content by itself. If TPR offered around 100 passages with their content review books, that would change things.

I think it is the better choice because applying concepts through practice passages is far more important than reviewing content by itself. If TPR offered around 100 passages with their content review books, that would change things.

Hi. I was reading your 3 Month MCAT Schedule thread. And I am planning on following it exactly as you said to. But I couldn't find the 4 month calender.
Also, do you recommend someone who has taken the pre-med pre-req's 5 years ago to follow this MCAT schedule? I'm a bit shaky on some of the content. Thanks.

I'm agreeing with you.. was pointing out that the list you quoted wasn't "strictly for content" unlike the other list the poster was asking about

Also, I'd think TPRH Science Workbook has comparable # of passages as TBR. I don't think they are as good though.

Hi. I was reading your 3 Month MCAT Schedule thread. And I am planning on following it exactly as you said to. But I couldn't find the 4 month calender.
Also, do you recommend someone who has taken the pre-med pre-req's 5 years ago to follow this MCAT schedule? I'm a bit shaky on some of the content. Thanks.

When you go down in the thread and find the day by day breakdown, the 4 month breakdown comes just after the 3 month in the same thread.

I was completely neurotic when applying to med school, and actually took both Princeton Review and Kaplan test prep courses. PR was useful when I first started - it showed me the big picture, and where I needed to focus my studies. Kaplan was useful later in the process, when my goal was to increase speed and improve my score by those last few points - they had nice practice tests.