Book recommendations for Obstetrics and Gynecology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotrumpet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations?

I heard Hacker and Moore is a good reference text

but I also heard that for case-based exam scenarios, On Call Obs/Gyn is pretty good...

Any second opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hacker and Beckmann are very similar...I've heard a lot of residents/attendings recommending that you read one of these from cover-to-cover.

Most of us med students just read Blueprints, though. :)

I used blueprints for my ob/gyn rotation, and it was complete...not too much detail...but was good for a 3rd year rotation...

Members don't see this ad :)
blue prints :thumbup:

hi,

I used Blueprints, and did questions from Blueprints and NMS. I think it was enough...but haven't gotten my score back yet.

:) Kem

I also used the little red book during any downtime, and constantly reviewed all the little algorithms and tables. I did questions in Pretest and A&L.

Originally posted by Blade28
I also used the little red book during any downtime, and constantly reviewed all the little algorithms and tables. I did questions in Pretest and A&L.

Yuck. I don't know why, but several upperclassmen at my school were raving about A&L so I decided to purchase a new edition for my ob/gyn rotation. Their questions were horrible. They either asked questions that had obvious answer choices, or they asked questions about topics that were never going to show up on the shelf because they were too specific. It was very frustrating going from one obvious string of questions to a string of questions that tested impossible to answer meaningless trivia. I didn't have pretest for obgyn, but I was very satisfied with that question book for most of my other rotations. Blueprints was alright for obgyn, I thought that the shelf, as usual, asked questions that were much more specific then the type of info that Blueprints conveyed. I thought that this was particularly true for ob/gyn compared to other blueprint series specialties.

Originally posted by Kalel
Yuck. I don't know why, but several upperclassmen at my school were raving about A&L so I decided to purchase a new edition for my ob/gyn rotation. Their questions were horrible. They either asked questions that had obvious answer choices, or they asked questions about topics that were never going to show up on the shelf because they were too specific. It was very frustrating going from one obvious string of questions to a string of questions that tested impossible to answer meaningless trivia. I didn't have pretest for obgyn, but I was very satisfied with that question book for most of my other rotations. Blueprints was alright for obgyn, I thought that the shelf, as usual, asked questions that were much more specific then the type of info that Blueprints conveyed. I thought that this was particularly true for ob/gyn compared to other blueprint series specialties.

Yeah, I didn't like A&L much either. Ended up mostly relying on reviewing Blueprints, the red book and Pretest.