Book/s on Basic Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wbd161

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good radiology book/textbook/pocketbook? It should cover basic chest films, CT, MRI, and probably some US. Is there a good book I can use? Ideally I'd like to have something which can help me sequentially evaluate the most common things imaged. Oftentimes I find myself at a loss when I'm trying to evaluate my patient's films. The other day, for example, one of my patients got a gastrograffin swallow because she had undergone a gastric bypass and we were preparing to DC her. We were looking for leaks but when I went to look at her film, I can't tell if she had any. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The standard rads text at my institution is Squire's Fundamentals of Radiology, by Novelline et al. This should be a good starting point.

Cheers,
doepug (MS III, Hopkins)

yes, squires is an excellent text. very readable. in fact, it is one of the very few medical textbooks I have read cover to cover. I learned alot from it and found that it has given me a solid basic understanding of the fundamentals of radiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel too bad about not being able to see a leak on a gastrograffin study. These should be viewed in real time, the images are taken only for confirmation. I did too many of these during my fellowship on a whole manner of patients with thoracic surgeries, and I can tell you that even with a fellow and a couple residents looking at it it is sometimes difficult. I would be best to ask the attending radiologist what he/she saw rather than try and look at the few films. Some places videotape the studies--if you can I would look at these after you have the yea or nay from the radiologist. That should help lower the learning curve.

I think Squires is a good book. Felson is still an excellent book for CXRay even though it is 30 years old.

Felson's was recommended to me by a pulmonologist as well as an interventional radiologist. Purportedly better than the Lucy Squire. I'll let you know when I finish it. :)

FYI, there are 2 books out there that people refer to as "Felson's." A great intro book for med students is "Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology: A Programmed Text," which is most recently authored by Lawrence Goodman. This book is the "Dubin" of CXR and takes the same programmed approach without getting into technical details. However, when radiologists speak of "Felson's" they are usually referring to Benjamin Felson's classic text "Chest Roentgenology" which is more theoretical and a "must read" for new radiologists (or med students planning to go into the field) but is probably overkill for everyone else.

They meant the former. I had asked to make sure. :) And just to be different, I absolutely hated the Dubin (although I forced myself to read it at least three times over the years), preferring the Thaler. Best (albeit little-known) EKG book I've ever read.