SkipJunior

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
Or just don't steal. It's not rocket science, OP.
I never said it was and I'm not trying to be condescending or patronizing with this thread. However one issue I have noticed is that a small minority of applicants fail to understand the absolute necessity of following a high code of honors and ethics while pursuing the noble profession of medicine. Once you start down this path, there can be no breaks...no brief periods of stupidity when you can break the code. Ms. Nguyen has now realized what happens when you stray from the code for even a brief moment.

Reactions: jb94mg and Goro

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
That's incredibly low, wow.

Reactions: GOK<3
OP
SkipJunior

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
3 years of med school loans gone for an Ipad. :oops:
When I first came across this article, I thought I had stumbled upon a parody news article from the Onion. It's just so unbelievable that someone could do something so incredibly stupid. The only thing I can say is that she probably had a temporary moment of stupidity which she will now regret for the rest of her life.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
3 years of med school loans gone for an Ipad. :oops:
Well her med school and undergrad were fully paid for by scholarships, so...

OP
SkipJunior

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
"Book smarts is not enough to be a good physician" has nothing to do with this news story and trying to connect the two is pretty silly.
Wouldn't you say that someone would have to be pretty "book smart" to be accepted to a top ranked medical school like UCLA medical school? Ms. Nguyen was obviously quite book smart (among other qualities she possessed) otherwise she wouldn't have been honored with an acceptance by the medical school admissions committee. She was also academically capable enough to pass her first 2 years of medical school. Yet her academic performance was obviously not enough for her to be a good physician since she had some troubling personality attributes which led to her stealing from a dying cancer patient and then lying that she thought the ipad was her own.

Regardless, I respect your right to disagree with me and I respect your opinion and no, I'm not going to call your opinion silly.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
OK kids, cut OP some slack. What he's trying to say is that book smart does not always translate into common sense. Just because one is intelligent, it doesn't mean one is smart.

Play nice!

"Book smarts is not enough to be a good physician" has nothing to do with this news story and trying to connect the two is pretty silly.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2012
Earth
Status
except that the registration had been changed from 'Natalie's iPad' to 'Virginia's iPad.'

Yeah. There goes the whole "Oops! I must have mistaken it for my own! How silly of me." :slap:

Now if only med schools could figure out how to screen for a conscience.

AspiringERMD

5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Virgo Supercluster
Status
Medical Student
I realize that the biggest tragedy involved in this fiasco is that someone could stoop so low as to steal from a dying cancer patient, but all I can think is "wow, that was a highly coveted spot in a medical school that could have been occupied by someone who ISN'T a worthless piece of **** ."

(PS: I sincerely hope the family is coping as well as can be expected. This is terrible news.)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
...the University has issued a statement that she is: 'not currently employed at UCLA.'
UCLA would not comment on her current status as a student, only that the university enforces an honor code.
What???

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
That's nuts. Talk about a bad life decision....

Also nuts is the fact that you can find a lost iPad like that and even see that it's been re-registered. How is it that I've had mine for a year and never knew about this function? Anyone care to explain how this particular piece of technological wizardry works?

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
OK kids, cut OP some slack. What he's trying to say is that book smart does not always translate into common sense. Just because one is intelligent, it doesn't mean one is smart.

Play nice!
I have no idea how you translate, "As you all know, a physician also needs to be kind, caring and follow a strict code of honor and professionalism.

This third year ex med student (she has been kicked out of UCLA med school) probably had high MCAT scores, high GPA, excellent ECs etc. but to what end? She is now just a common lying thief who will never be a physician." into "book smart does not always translate into common sense." Maybe you are better able to interpret the OP, but after reading it a couple of times, I certainly agree with your statement, but I don't think it has anything to do with the OP.

Wouldn't you say that someone would have to be pretty "book smart" to be accepted to a top ranked medical school like UCLA medical school? Ms. Nguyen was obviously quite book smart (among other qualities she possessed) otherwise she wouldn't have been honored with an acceptance by the medical school admissions committee. She was also academically capable enough to pass her first 2 years of medical school. Yet her academic performance was obviously not enough for her to be a good physician since she had some troubling personality attributes which led to her stealing from a dying cancer patient and then lying that she thought the ipad was her own.

Regardless, I respect your right to disagree with me and I respect your opinion and no, I'm not going to call your opinion silly.
This isn't about an opinion. I was pointing out that your OP was logically unsound. Just because two statements are true. ie.

#1 This student was probably academically pretty decent.
#2 Stealing will get you kicked out of medical school.

Doesn't mean that they can or should be somehow connected.

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
ps. If you aren't a medical student, you should probably change your status to 'pre-med'.

Edit: Hrm. In one thread you are applying to Howard this cycle. In another you have already graduated from medical school. Interesting.

Last edited:
OP
SkipJunior

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
I have no idea how you translate, "As you all know, a physician also needs to be kind, caring and follow a strict code of honor and professionalism.

This third year ex med student (she has been kicked out of UCLA med school) probably had high MCAT scores, high GPA, excellent ECs etc. but to what end? She is now just a common lying thief who will never be a physician." into "book smart does not always translate into common sense." Maybe you are better able to interpret the OP, but after reading it a couple of times, I certainly agree with your statement, but I don't think it has anything to do with the OP.

This isn't about an opinion. I was pointing out that your OP was logically unsound. Just because two statements are true. ie.

#1 This student was probably academically pretty decent.
#2 Stealing will get you kicked out of medical school.

Doesn't mean that they can or should be somehow connected.
As you yourself said, there are others here like Goro who are better able to understand my message. So if you feel I'm logically unsound, feel free to not reply to this thread. Also it's your opinion that I'm logically unsound, others here clearly disagree with you.

OP
SkipJunior

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
ps. If you aren't a medical student, you should probably change your status to 'pre-med'.

Edit: Hrm. In one thread you are applying to Howard this cycle. In another you have already graduated from medical school. Interesting.
I'm sure if you had taken the time to read my previous threads, you would know my history. I don't have the time or inclination to explain it to you. If you think I'm a troll, then stop replying to this thread. Don't feed the troll, eh?

For others reading this thread, don't be misled by anyone's slander. Read my previous threads/posts and make up your own mind. I'm a windsor medical graduate who failed to match several years in a row and I'm now applying to select MD and DO schools who have agreed to review my application despite my previous academic history. If you think I'm a troll or lying, then good for you. I'm not going to debate with you and I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone.

Last edited:

freemontie

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 19, 2014
Ok, ok. We can all agree that if this article/post was an MCAT verbal passage the answer wouldn't be "book smarts is not enough to be a good physician." It's not the most logical conclusion from what was given (but of course I agree with it).

PS- I bet mimelin aced his verbal section judging by how perturbed he is by it.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Ok, ok. We can all agree that if this article/post was an MCAT verbal passage the answer wouldn't be "book smarts is not enough to be a good physician." It's not the most logical conclusion from what was given (but of course I agree with it).

PS- I bet mimelin aced his verbal section judging by how perturbed he is by it.
He had a beastly MCAT score, so I am pretty sure of that.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I hope you guys realize that in residency you often get an academic fund that can be used on an iPad. No need to steal one.

But yeah, mimelim is right, I agree this has very little to do with "book smarts". The original title suggested that this would be a thread about how someone needs to be good at the human side of the equation, have a good bedside manner, not just be a great science student to be a good doctor. THAT is a useful topic to be discussed on this kind of board (and has been).

This thread is about garden variety theft. It has nothing to do with whether someone is a good student or a good doctor and everything to do with whether someone is a criminal or not. I would agree with the statement that "criminals don't generally make good doctors,", which is what I assume the OP wanted to say (but really didn't) with his thread title, and maybe that would have been a better title for this thread -- people looking here wouldn't feel like they were duped into opening a Thread on something less interesting.

May 2, 2013
Status
Medical Student
This has little to do with the med students being book smart and more to do with a flaw in her integrity, an intangible that med school admissions don't/can't really assess unless there is a red flag. But it is very true. It's unfortunate to see people with incredible stats and who are very bright in the classroom make questionable choices likes posting pics on social media of them in the hospital on rounds/with patients or activities outside of school like one chick Ik accepted to MD school who takes a gap year to model and with inappropriate pics of her for the public eye to see

Last edited:
Reactions: MrLogan13 and Goro

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

He graduated from a Caribbean medical school.

OP
SkipJunior

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
This has little to do with the med students being book smart and more to do with a flaw in her integrity, an intangible that med school admissions don't/can't really assess unless there is a red flag. But it is very true. It's unfortunate to see people with incredible stats and who are very bright in the classroom make questionable choices likes posting pics on social media of them in the hospital on rounds/with patients or activities outside of school like one chick Ik accepted to MD school who takes a gap year to model and with inappropriate pics of her for the public eye to see
This is precisely the point I wanted to convey in this thread. In retrospect, I should have titled this thread "Third Year UCLA Med Student Steals IPad from Dying Cancer Patient" and then discussed my logic in the thread. Hindsight is always 20/20. I really do feel that per-med advisers, medical school staff etc. should play a more active role in reminding pre-meds and medical students about the absolute necessity of following a high level of professionalism. I know they are doing it now but it's obviously not enough.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Sociopaths are always going to evade our radar every now and then. It's the nature of humanity.

I really do feel that per-med advisers, medical school staff etc. should play a more active role in reminding pre-meds and medical students about the absolute necessity of following a high level of professionalism. I know they are doing it now but it's obviously not enough.

Reactions: ruedjgtc

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I hope you guys realize that in residency you often get an academic fund that can be used on an iPad. No need to steal one.
The current tend seems to be that the program will give you an iPad to use during residency, in addition to or in lieu of a book fund.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
The current tend seems to be that the program will give you an iPad to use during residency, in addition to or in lieu of a book fund.
A handful of places certainly do this, but I wouldn't count on it -- I wouldn't quite call it a trend yet. I know a decent number of people in different residencies in different regions and none got one for free. Most places you can use your academic fund to buy one if you want, though. Trend or not, stealing is bad, m'kay.

Reactions: Goro