Book suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BK2681

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good suggestions for leisure reading medical books? I just finished Better by Atul Gawande and really enjoyed it.

Also, does anyone here regularly read any magazines/journals/blogs that are interesting?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, Do No Harm by Lisa Belkin is a great book on medical ethics and situations that are very relatable to the reader

Anyone have any good suggestions for leisure reading medical books? I just finished Better by Atul Gawande and really enjoyed it.

Also, does anyone here regularly read any magazines/journals/blogs that are interesting?

Thanks!

I subscribe (and am hopelessly addicted) to the MMWR,

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/

If you liked Better I would buy Complications and Checklist Manifesto. Despite really enjoying Better, I actually found Complications to be better and more interesting. I talked about all of these book in interviews too, so I was glad I read them (chances are you will get a "what books have you read recently?" question at some point). Cutting for Stone was also very good.

Hi,

There is this list in one of the threads you should def. search for it. I could not find it ~ ill spend some more time later trying to search for the list.

I love both books "Better" and "Complications" by Atul Gawande. "When the air hits your Brain" by Frank Vertosick is also a great read and also read opinion/perspective articles in NEJM. I have heard only great things about "The House of God".

Both "Cutting for Stone" and "My Own Country" by Abraham Verghese are great reads for everyone, but especially for those of us interested in medicine!