Or is that super-super-dorky?

iduwanna

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
What about a rollerbag? :idea:

Or is that super-super-dorky?

The rollerbag is great (if you have a serious physical handicap).

But if I hold the door open for you, please avoid getting your rollerbag wheel stuck in the door jam.

Also, rollerbags are annoying when the user rushes out of the elevater and drags it over everyone's toes (happens more than you would think).

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Colorado
Status
Attending Physician
northface isn't crap. i've had the same northface for 9 years and it's still in great shape...no rips or anything.
North Face is no longer the company that it used to be. The company was sold several years ago (coorperate) and it no longer stands behind their product or their work. Their construction is carried out by un-trained, sweat-shop workers and for this, North Face lost all their support of the outdoor community. North Face is the laughing stock of the industry and most of the people that would benefit from this "level" of gear refuse to use NF.

With that said, no one really needs an expedition-quality pack to attend medical school. But, if you want one, check out the venders below...

Patagonia, Arc'teryx, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Go Lite, etc are the top companies at this point in time.

Since I already have a day pack, I will be sporting a Dakine Heli-Pro pack (I used to do my day tele-skiing trips with this one) for class. It's simple, dependable, and it even has a spot where a 15 inch lap top will fit.

Last edited:
About the Ads

kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
Medical Student
a ton of people in my school use NF or timbuk2 bags. I have a tb2 myself and it's really nice

AldousHux

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have to admit my favorite backpacks of all time have been Kipling, really pricey, but I've never found one to match its size or durability, and I mean, getting a little stuffed gorilla that can stick its thumb in it's mouth! WORTH EVERY PENNY. :D

Having said that, I went to undergrad in NYC, and will be going to med school where I will have a car, so carrying things long distances is no longer an issue. I found this really cute large tote for super cheap, so for those who keep hating on the prices of those other bags, maybe this will appease you.

http://www.bluefly.com/Via-Spiga-white-trimmed-PVC-Fumoso-large-tote/COLOR_CROSS-SELL/301402502/detail.fly

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
any thing "a la" mary kate olsen will not serve you well in med school.

quirks

Psych PGY-4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Tom bihn bags. they arent cheap but they last forever. you might actually pay your loans off before it gives out.

tombihn.com

i have a super ego

cant say enough about them.
I adore Tom Bihn! I used an Imago for about half of undergrad (after my Timbuk2's inner lining started to peel), and I just splurged a small portion of my tax refund on a Brain Bag and a medium cafe bag (both mostly for traveling).

kac714

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2008
il
Status
Medical Student
so i don't mean to hijack this, but I didn't want to start a new thread. does anyone have any thoughts on a printer for medical school? laser v. ink? i have a great photo printer now, but the ink is super expensive so i feel like it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a laser one. suggestions?

Dakota

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I invested in a color laser. Best decision I made in medical school. Printing all my ppts in color (at a reasonable cost per page) was invaluable. Only downside was all the colors tended to run out at the same time and replacing 4 $80 cartridges would really hurt. Still, was def clutch (for me) for MSI and II.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Love, I mean love, my Timbuk2. It is the ultimate. I am a walking talking advertisement for those guys.

Dakota

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
how often did you have to replace them?
It really depends on how much printing you're doing. I printed everything (4 ppt slides per page); I could print about 4000 color pages on a set of cartridges. I replaced them twice during MSI and once during MSII if memory serves, maybe the black got replaced one additional time.

I have a konica minolta 2430dl and it's been trouble free for three years of pretty heavy printing.

MUBiomed

MS-III
10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I got one of these for free:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=7

They're more casual and sporty but they're specifically for laptops and books. Plus there's a waist strap so you can bike/run to class without your bag flapping at your side. Since I'm probably going to be stuffing my bag into lockers and carrying it all over I'll probably use this a lot as opposed to my nicer bags.
Timbuk 2's are awesome bags. Simple design, completely waterproof, big, sneaky pockets on the inside lining...perfect for a laptop, notebook and textbook (You'de need a backpack to lug around multiple textbooks). They started in San Francisco as bike messenger bags, and they are so durable... I've had mine for 8 years now and it still looks new...must have gone through 3 or 4 other backpacks in that time.

Timbuk2 Hacker Bag.....ultimate book bag for notebooks and laptop. Fully waterproof. Rugged material. Looks awesome. Nuff said.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/hacker

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

About the Ads
Apr 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i don't consider myself extremely "girlie," but i do have a thing for bags...i have a Built NY laptop bag with an Extremely comfortable shoulder strap and handles (depending on how you want to tote it around): http://www.builtny.com/showPage.php?pageID=1624

I also have a queenbee messenger-style bag. This is a portland-based company that makes their bags out of non-leather material. Their "trucker" bags are large enough for the books and supplies that everyone says you need to carry for our first year (i'm starting this year, as well). Check it out:

http://www.queenbee-creations.com/categories/38/items.

Good luck!

littlemissmd

Do no harm
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
OC, California
Status
Medical Student
Just because your spending priorities aren't on bags does not mean you should flame someone else because either a) they can afford to b) they want to or c) they have diff. spending priorities/interests (WHAT A FASCINATING IDEA).

Similarly, none of you have thought of the AMAZING possibility that, I don't know, THE BAG IS ON SALE. I'm not flaming anyone for spending money on your dorky extra-curriculars that many pre-meds have like buying the latest Battlestar Galactica DVD the second it comes out.

Now, this is dangerously veering off topic, so if anyone has anything constructive to say about bookbags, please say it. Otherwise this debate about a stupid handbag is pointless and reveals your insecurities about money to say the least.

Some people seriously take themselves too seriously. Being fashion savvy is not a crime. Jackie-O sunglasses are not a crime. Anyone who looks down on a young lady who pays attention to what she puts on her back is just plain jealous...because of course the multi-billion dollar industry is all based on inner beauty right?? Haha.

I have a Diane Von Furstenburg which has done wonders for me. It has a slot for the lap-top if I do so choose to carry it along with me, and is made of lizard so it will do fine whether the weather is blazing hot, or freezing cold. The BJ bags are just glorious whether you decide to use them for med school or not. I say go for them.

Like Vuitton says--it's in the bag ;)

angiogenesis

Armchair Philosopher
10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2008
Sitting on your shoulders
Status
Medical Student
I usually carry around a leather tote bag that can hold an A4 notebook and perhaps an additional small text book.

I have never organised my papers and I don't plan to. I just take the one notebook and write everything down in it. When it gets full I use another one. If I have printed notes and stuff then I just shove them into the notebook too. Folders are heavy and take too long to work (ie removing the paper from the binder, etc).

Suenya

Hail Eris
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status
Non-Student
This is coming from a guy's perspective, so for the people looking for those frilly ugly bags posted on the first page, sorry.

I carry a Kelty Redwing pack that I bought about 10 years ago and has been to hell and back with me.

The problem with that is on clinical days, when I need to dress up, I look a little silly carrying it.

I need to upgrade to something that goes with my nicer clothes, either I'm going to pull the trigger on a shoulder bag from Johnston & Murphy, or this in large and dark coffee brown...

http://www.saddlebackleather.net/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=16

I kind of want something that can take a bullet for me.
I'm getting a large in either dark coffee or the reddish color when I start. I've talked to two people with the bags. One raved about it, the other said that he thought it would last forever (he had it for 3 years so far) but that he might not get it again because it is very heavy for every day use. He still recommended it if you don't mind a really solid bag though, and that's what I want.

malpractician

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
i got a free backpack in vegas about 2 years ago (well, almost free) , been using this ever since.

Attachments

andie gustafson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I use notebooks, i feel I have better organization... I couldn't find a huge bookbag to carry all my huge books so I got a bookbag that I liked and about the books, I leave them at home to study there and when I need to use them at school I go to the library or have them borrowed!! to me it's the best cause I don't get to carry big amounts of weight

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Jun 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been using the same Jansport since junior high. Its for 'outdoors' so it has a compartment for my laptop and more importantly has comfortable straps.

MsKrispyKreme

The "Hot" sign is on...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2008
Status
Medical Student
My messenger bag just broke. :(

Recs on a new one?

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've been really happy with the North Face I bought last year. I've done some fairly destructive things to it, and it's still hanging in there.

About the Ads