bookies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hubadahubada

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do any of you know good books that give a broad overview of the subjects studied in med school? if so, please list. thanks./

Members don't see this ad.

Board review books contain the essentials of the basic sciences covered in the first two years. "First Aid for the USMLE Step 1" condenses the essentials from the first two years that you have to know for Step 1. First Aid also contains a list at the back with reviews of subject-specific books in different areas. Some of the more popular books are the High Yield series (e.g., High Yield Gross Anatomy, High Yield Neuroanatomy, etc.) as well as the "Board Review Series", which are available for just about every medical school subject and make a useful adjunct to coursework as well. Also, Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews puts out useful guides to Biochemistry and Pharmacology.

Originally posted by hubadahubada:
•do any of you know good books that give a broad overview of the subjects studied in med school? if so, please list. thanks./•••

actually, i was interested more in basic books that give you a broad overview of the subjects (smaller books that, if read, would allow me to understand what to expect before starting the new courses, without getting lost in details) - not really reviews or high yield books. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
i remember reading a book which i believe was entitled intro to anatomy during my undergrad years which i found to be a great overview. I cannot remember the author, but will notify you if i find it or remember. best of luck.

If you do not wish to go for BRS or First aid or stuff like that, i guess you are left with the standard text books.

Among the text books, the short yet complete ones would include Snell's Gross Anatomy, Barr's Neuroanat, Ganong's Physio, Lippincott's Biochem - for the preclinicals.
Lange's Concise Pathology by Chandrasoma & Taylor is a good concise text. So is Lippincott's Pharma.
For Microbiology, you cannot go below Kruckshank.
For non-medicine clinical subjects, CMDT gives a good concise overview, though medicine itself is as long or short as any other text book.
(Appleton Lange books are the best concise texts for any subject.)

I don't think you can go shorter than these. But anyone knowing better plz correct me, i too am always on the lookout for shortcut books.