BOOKS: 2009 Khan worth it? a new Hall anytime soon? leibel vs. gunderson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakFlag

spiral of silence
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone could share some advice on good books for a pgy-2 radonc.

any opinions on whether the new 2009 Khan is worth getting? would the older edition suffice and have the same effect?

also, will there be a new edition of Hall's Radiobiology for the Radiologist any time soon? the latest is 2005.

and...any big difference between Gunderson/Tepper and Leibel? if i buy Gunderson '06 right now it will be even more outdated by the time i'm preparing for boards in 2013. should i just wait for the new Leibel? i figure textbooks in general lag a few/several years behind the primary literature anyway, so it's not much of a win-win situatino..

thansk

Members don't see this ad.

The new Leibel will be out this fall/yearly next year. It is the best text IMO.

i was wondering if anyone could share some advice on good books for a pgy-2 radonc.

any opinions on whether the new 2009 Khan is worth getting? would the older edition suffice and have the same effect?

also, will there be a new edition of Hall's Radiobiology for the Radiologist any time soon? the latest is 2005.

and...any big difference between Gunderson/Tepper and Leibel? if i buy Gunderson '06 right now it will be even more outdated by the time i'm preparing for boards in 2013. should i just wait for the new Leibel? i figure textbooks in general lag a few/several years behind the primary literature anyway, so it's not much of a win-win situatino..

thansk

In terms of radbio, I think the new ESTRO textbook Basic Clinical Radiobiology by Van der Kogel and Joiner (updated from Steel) is a lot better for clinical radiobiology than Hall. It's nicely laid out, and really focuses on the things radiation oncologists actually need to know in daily practice. Hall, on the other hand, is much better to study before the radbio boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khan--the new version has color pictures and figures throughout. dorky green cover makes it look like a 7th grade science book, however.

about clinical textbooks...what are the thoughts of the group on the necessity of a personal copy. Right now I am a believer in a combination of handbooks (roach, haffty), NCCN guidelines, and primary literature (ie major studies). This way when things change I am not heavily invested in a text. Plus...I just cant read those tomes. Thoughs?

about clinical textbooks...what are the thoughts of the group on the necessity of a personal copy. Right now I am a believer in a combination of handbooks (roach, haffty), NCCN guidelines, and primary literature (ie major studies). This way when things change I am not heavily invested in a text. Plus...I just cant read those tomes. Thoughs?

I totally agree with you.
Uptodate text books are good and I try to buy a new one every 2-3 years, just to have all the actual knowledge bundled in a book.
However when it comes to every day practice I heavily rely on my pdf-stored papers of major studies, some notes and published guidelines.
I feel, that when you want to really know all the details on a certain disease (that's not that common) text books fail or are many times out of date.
Of great use is my iPhone, where I stored all my pdfs (about 500 papers at this time), which I can then carry around.

The wikibook on radiation oncology can also be of major use, although its still incomplete. One some issues however, the info in the wiki exceeds that of textbooks.

how do you store pdfs in your iphone? under google docs?