Books about how to survive medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbzak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm officially a member of the Class of 2016 and ready to start preparing for my life in medical school! Can anyone recommend a good book about how to survive medical school, study most effectively, etc.? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

just print out the forums here. then you have a constantly evolving, up-to-date book. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure a book will help. Talk to older students and your classmates and try out different studying techniques. It takes time, but you'll work it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can check out the books returned by this search, but in the end, any advice you find on surviving med school will merely be suggestions; you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I'm officially a member of the Class of 2016 and ready to start preparing for my life in medical school! Can anyone recommend a good book about how to survive medical school, study most effectively, etc.? Thank you!!

You dont need a book. Everybody will figure it out for themselves, plain and simple its one hell of a marathon...you need to figure out what works for you and is sustainable.

Everyone learns differently, I can tell you what I do but that it might not work for you.

Over study for the first few tests and then try different methods...you will figure out what you need to do.

You can check out the books returned by this search, but in the end, any advice you find on surviving med school will merely be suggestions; you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

You dont need a book. Everybody will figure it out for themselves, plain and simple its one hell of a marathon...you need to figure out what works for you and is sustainable.

Everyone learns differently, I can tell you what I do but that it might not work for you.

Over study for the first few tests and then try different methods...you will figure out what you need to do.
+ infinity.

Seriously, there's no need to read a book about how to "survive" med school. You need to figure out what works for you. It took me about a semester to figure out what works for me and I'm still modifying it a bit. You'll most likely end up making adjustments to how you normally study and you'll probably end up trying several different methods of studying before deciding on one method. This seemed to be the most common theme at my school, for example.

"A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."

While you aren't necessarily making an outline of your life in medical school, it never hurts to hear others' experiences so that not every little thing is a surprise.

"A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."

While you aren't necessarily making an outline of your life in medical school, it never hurts to hear others' experiences so that not every little thing is a surprise.

Alright I will bite.

I am finishing up M2 year in a few months.

To go to class or not?
Initially everyone thinks they "should" go to class. I stopped going in November of M1 year because I realized its pointless to have someone read 80-100 powerpoint slides in 50 minutes. Only about 25% of my classmates go to class now, most people have reached the same conclusions. Also I am make my own schedule which I really enjoy.

Studying for tests
Each of your tests will be similar to the volume of material in a biology final in undergrad. But you will be cover that amount of information every 2-4 weeks. This is going to suck beyond belief initially because it will be a shock to your system. Eventually it will be commonplace and not as painful to sit in the library for 10+ hours.

The secret to med school is 99% of the people will not know all the details going into the test. Its kinda like a battlefield, triage and learn the important stuff first. The strong correlation to my test grades is the number of passes I make through the material.

Pass 1: I just read everything but dont try to actively memorize anything. (I figure out the architecture of what I need to learn)
Pass 2: I focus on key concepts, bolded words, do some highlighting or very very light note taking if I feel like doing it (maybe a page of tricky words or stuff I will likely mix up).
Pass 3: I re-read everything but try to put non-bolded less important concepts in my temporary memory (I either do this late night before the test or wake up early before the test).

Sometimes I do an extra pass but I rarely have time for that. This varies depending on the class, sometimes pass 1/2 will be me listening to a video at 2.0X speed of the lecture.

Worrying About Others
Med students are all type A people. It is very easy for them to stress each other out if you review stuff together and one of you knows more. Also its very likely your friends will out score you on many test. Focus on yourself, set your goals, met them, and forget the rest.

In summary: you will be happier person if you only worry about yourself.

Academic Confidence
Some people will start off:
1. Studying inefficiently
2. Not studying enough

Either way, if one of your first tests in M1 year goes bad, dont worry, you just need to fix the problem and you will be fine. A handful of your classmates might be stressed out bc of this, as I said above do our own thing.

Textbook and Review Books
I have yet to open a single textbook since entering med school. Most med schools provide notes with everything you need to know. These generally will either be in powerpoint, outline, or word document form.

In classes with crappy notes I strongly advising using board review books. These are from companies like BRS and lippincotts. For my micro course I combined a review book with my class notes and it helped me alot.

Other than that once you have your system down, med school isnt going to be hard. Its kinda like groundhog day the week before a test...get up, eat, study, sleep repeat. On non-test weeks you will likely have alot of free time.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright I will bite.

I am finishing up M2 year in a few months.

To go to class or not?
Initially everyone thinks they "should" go to class. I stopped going in November of M1 year because I realized its pointless to have someone read 80-100 powerpoint slides in 50 minutes. Only about 25% of my classmates go to class now, most people have reached the same conclusions. Also I am make my own schedule which I really enjoy.

Studying for tests
Each of your tests will be similar to the volume of material in a biology final in undergrad. But you will be cover that amount of information every 2-4 weeks. This is going to suck beyond belief initially because it will be a shock to your system. Eventually it will be commonplace and not as painful to sit in the library for 10+ hours.

The secret to med school is 99% of the people will not know all the details going into the test. Its kinda like a battlefield, triage and learn the important stuff first. The strong correlation to my test grades is the number of passes I make through the material.

Pass 1: I just read everything but dont try to actively memorize anything. (I figure out the architecture of what I need to learn)
Pass 2: I focus on key concepts, bolded words, do some highlighting or very very light note taking if I feel like doing it (maybe a page of tricky words or stuff I will likely mix up).
Pass 3: I re-read everything but try to put non-bolded less important concepts in my temporary memory (I either do this late night before the test or wake up early before the test).

Sometimes I do an extra pass but I rarely have time for that. This varies depending on the class, sometimes pass 1/2 will be me listening to a video at 2.0X speed of the lecture.

Worrying About Others
Med students are all type A people. It is very easy for them to stress each other out if you review stuff together and one of you knows more. Also its very likely your friends will out score you on many test. Focus on yourself, set your goals, met them, and forget the rest.

In summary: you will be happier person if you only worry about yourself.

Academic Confidence
Some people will start off:
1. Studying inefficiently
2. Not studying enough

Either way, if one of your first tests in M1 year goes bad, dont worry, you just need to fix the problem and you will be fine. A handful of your classmates might be stressed out bc of this, as I said above do our own thing.

Textbook and Review Books
I have yet to open a single textbook since entering med school. Most med schools provide notes with everything you need to know. These generally will either be in powerpoint, outline, or word document form.

In classes with crappy notes I strongly advising using board review books. These are from companies like BRS and lippincotts. For my micro course I combined a review book with my class notes and it helped me alot.

Other than that once you have your system down, med school isnt going to be hard. Its kinda like groundhog day the week before a test...get up, eat, study, sleep repeat. On non-test weeks you will likely have alot of free time.

Thanks for that perspective.

Great...thanks everyone! I know that reading a book won't necessarily prepare me, but I'm a huge reader and would love to read a book that gets me excited for medical school. Thanks for the suggestions!

Great...thanks everyone! I know that reading a book won't necessarily prepare me, but I'm a huge reader and would love to read a book that gets me excited for medical school. Thanks for the suggestions!

Do yourself and everyone else around you a favor and read a book not related to medicine. Perhaps then you can stave off, if even for only a few more moments, the inevitable erosion of your personality and humanity that medical training will most certainly provide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard this is good (haven't read it, though).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1451587619?qid=1321187081&sr=8-2

Also, follow him on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/medschooladvice

A very quick read and very entertaining. I'd recommend reading it just for the fun of it. It's only like $7 if you buy the kindle version on Amazon.

Another book I came across called "The Mindful Medical Student" looks interesting although I haven'e read it.

"How to Study in Medical School (2nd Edition)" is a very short book that outlines one study method that is basically taking notes and constantly reviewing to keep up with the material.

Hope this helps! :)

Do yourself and everyone else around you a favor and read a book not related to medicine. Perhaps then you can stave off, if even for only a few more moments, the inevitable erosion of your personality and humanity that medical training will most certainly provide.

Of course I will read books unrelated to medicine. I was just hoping to find a book or two that will provide me with an expectation of what medical school will be like. These two books will be a very minor component of my summer reading. Hopefully this is adequate for you in terms of doing humanity a favor.

I strongly recommend that you spend some time enjoying life prior to entering medical school. There will be plenty of time to be stressed AFTER you start. I recommend some pleasure reading, instead of something too dense and scientific.

almost definitively yes

you said the word yes, yay!!

225411.gif

wow, a necrobump.

Read something NOT related to medical school. It'll make you a lot more well rounded as a person, and as a result a better doctor.

/just please stop giving Jerome Groopman attention, no matter what you read.

you said the word yes, yay!!

225411.gif
^_^ As a penguin I believe I am an underrepresented minority in the medical field and hope this will greatly improve my chances of interviews....

^_^ As a penguin I believe I am an underrepresented minority in the medical field and hope this will greatly improve my chances of interviews....

Penguins are just awesome and have cool style, everyone will love you. Good luck and see you around!