1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

books advice for step 2

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by jarod, Oct 22, 2000.

1. jarod

jarod Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everyone, I'm a 5th year med student in Paris, france.

I just wanted advice from US med students concerning the good books 2 get for USMLE 2 ;-) I think that you guys know WAY better than all the IMG in the world ;-)))

Btw, if there's any french dude who made it to residency in the states, i'd looove to get in touch with him or her ;-)

THX!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I heard that Prescriptions for the Boards is good. I'm not sure what else out there is good though. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post it. Thanks a lot!

4. Hi Jarod,

There is a dearth of MCQs for Step 2 but I used the NMS and the sample questions from the USMLE folk. On the whole, I found the "real" thing (which I took 2.5 weeks ago) to have longer vignettes and fewer, if any "buzzwords". The majority of the questions were diagnosis or next appropriate step.

Other review books which I found helpful were:

First Aid for USMLE Step 2
    High Yield Pharm
    High Yield Internal Med
    Surgery Blueprints (don't spend time on the anatomy sections)

and my Oxford handbooks (which I used on the wards so was pretty familiar with them, but they are designed as review books).

You can get all of the above at Amazon or most other large on-line book sellers if you can't get them in Paris. Also check out medschool.com - they have a Book review section that I've found to be pretty accurate.

best of luck!