Books Before Medical school?????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by joojoobeware, Jun 14, 2001.

1. joojoobeware

joojoobeware Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi All,
    I was wondering what kind of books I could read, to review and get my brain back into the sciences before school starts?
    Are there any good review books or text books I could look at? It's been 2 years since I took a science course and I'm really rusty.
    I just wanted to hear your suggestion after going through the first year of med school.
    Thanks!

2. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why don't you try looking at review books for the boards and maybe looking up in reference books some of the high yielf materials.... If that doesn't work then I suggest asking the medical school's bookstore that you're about to attend and ask them what they think.... :cool:

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you absolutely MUST review this summer, I think some USMLE review books would suit the purposes, although many will obviously not be review for you.

If you've taken an undergrad Micro course, you might try Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple - easy and fun to read, plus great board review when the time comes. Any review books in subjects with which you have familiarity would be fine.

Also just have some fun, will ya?! ;D

4. joojoobeware

joojoobeware Member
    7+ Year Member

lol
    don't worry, I am planning on traveling too... :)
    And practically do NOTHING!!!
    I just wanted to do some summer reading and refeshing while I'm at it. Thanks though.

5. Cassidy61

Cassidy61 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i find that picking up a new england journal or JAMA is the best for stimulating your mind about medical topics without 'studying'! i would pick a few topics in these that you may find interesting and try to read one critically.

6. gp

gp Member
    10+ Year Member

Ok - so everyone will tell you to just relax this summer, but it's those obsessive compulsive personality traits that got us all where we are today ;)

Also, lots of people will disagree with my advice, but - try to take a look at anatomy this summer. You likely won't be able to teach yourself anatomy - it's very difficult to do so. There's lots of new vocabulary, though - and I think it would have helped a bunch to at least have seen some of the terms before I took the class. Your best bet - buy The Anatomy Coloring Book and work through it. It's inexpensive, fun to color, and you'll learn a little bit of anatomy in the process. Good luck. gp

7. twister

twister Member
    10+ Year Member

Some medical schools will recommend a specific book or two to catch up on during the summer. Check with your school and find out if they have anything in particular that they want you to review.

8. joojoobeware

joojoobeware Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks!
    I'll give those ideas a shot.