Books for 1st year (Ohio State)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thumper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew what the main books are for first year students at Ohio State. My boyfriend will be going there, and wants to get an idea so that he can start buying as many of the books he can on sale! (During the end-of-the-school-year Sale going on at most med. school bookstores!) Thanks for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting at Ohio State next fall too. I don't know what the specific book list is, but from what I know the Lippincott's board review books are very useful (Biochemistry, Pharmacology). Also Netter Human Anatomy Atlas.

for now, i would suggest getting the books necessary for anatomy. depending on which pathway you decide to eventually choose, that will dictate whether or not you will buy certain books vs. others. for example, lecture/discussion students use mainly their notes given to them and reference books when necessary. on the other hand, i as a PBL student, we have a full library already =) here's a list of required/suggested books for anatomy and some suggested books for the 1st year.

anatomy:
essential clinical anatomy 2nd (new edition), moore/agur (required)
grant's dissector (required)
netter's anatomy (high suggested)
color atlas of anatomy, roden (very helpful)
human crossectional anatomy, ellis (helpful)
BRS gross anatomy (helpful)

rest of the year:
BRS physiology (very good)
BRS embryology (ok) or high yield
lippincott's biochem (good)
there are various physio books, i suggest for you too look them over and see which one is good for you since each author has his/her own style (ganong, bern/levn, guyton, etc.)
fundamental neuroscience, haines (suggested for LD students)
clinical neuroanatomy for medical students, snell (suggested for PBL students)
high yield neuroanatomy (very good)
clinical neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple (very good)

that's more or less what you need if you are LD or ISP (less may be for ISP since they have self-contained modules w/ detailed notes). there are definitely more books if you decide to go PBL.

let me know if you have any other questions.

best
harry

Members don't see this ad :)
Salsadoc has a great list going there! He's also right that a LOT depends on which pathway you choose. I'm also in the PBL program and have spent quite a lot on books -- you buy most of your books 1st year in PBL. I'd also recommend focusing on the anatomy books, since you have 12 weeks to figure out the rest. :) I loved Netter and found Rohen very useful for preparing for practical exams. BRS anatomy has good review questions to help you gauge your progress.

During orientation you'll get a list of books that are recommended by other students - that's usually helpful.

If you have more questions, fire away.

Cameron

Thanks guys, you have been extremely helpful. :) I was wondering if you guys had any tips for him as well. I mean, he is extremely smart and dedicated, but I feel that you can always learn from other people's experiences and gain better insight about what is required of you, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, he is looking into buying a condo while he's there, and since he doesn't know the area that well, I was wondering if you guys could help out and suggest some places, or let us know about really bad places that he shouldn't even bother seeing. Thanks so much!

thumper:

i do know of some students who have condos, though they are not near school, approximately 10-15 min drive at best. once he gets his orientation packet, he'll receive a list of pretty "nice" apartment complexes that grad/professional students tend to reside. if you live around school (as i do) the best advice is: DO NOT LIVE EAST OF HIGH STREET. that is where most of the undergrads live -- more noise, crime, parties, etc. anything west of high street near the med campus is ok. in order to find a place near campus, the best way is to search the classified of the school newspaper, The Lantern.

<a href="http://www.thelantern.com" target="_blank">www.thelantern.com</a>

also, i would HIGHLY suggest trying to find a place near school w/in walking distance. there will be considerable construction on campus soon and parking will be more limited and far enough away from campus that all students who park there will have to take a shuttle. the apartments near campus are not as "modern" per se, but many houses around the med campus are maintained well and are rather quaint.

hope this helps =)
harry

Thanks so much Harry. I will let him know about all the things you mentioned, and I'm sure he'll be as thrilled as I am that we found someone as helpful and knowlegeable as yourself. Thanks again! :wink:

saslsadoc44,
Hey, I sent you a PM! Talk to ya soon! :wink:

thumper: got it and answered =)

So, how many hours do you guys usually study? I mean, will there be time for social/personal matters, or is it all about studying? What about the PBL pathway? Does that allow more time to do other things? Also, what are the tests like. Is memorizing EVERYTHING a common practice, or is it more of a learn as-you-go type of thing. Thanks, by the way, to all who reply! :p

Thumper,

Tell your boyfriend congrats from me. After four years here at Ohio State the best adviceI can give him about books is to go and buy a Netter's and look over it prior to starting his first year. They are majorly revamping the curriculum for your honey's class so what many of us tell him might not apply to his class. In fact they are switching to a systems based approach with more PBL type stuff in the LD pathway. (A MAJOR POSITIVE CHANGE :clap: ) I wouldn't buy any books right now, just enjoy the spring and summer, there will be plenty of time for studying later. As far as memorizing stuff and time commitment, I would have to say it is highly variable. People usually settle into a system that works for them during the first few months of school. ( Some like myself were probable too social for their own good :p ) There is time to be social and do things outside of med school no matter what anyone tells you. :wink: Good luck and if I can be of any other assistance just let me know

Thanks for your insightful reply, Guitarzan! :p I do have a few questions for you though. My BF missed the April deadline to apply for the PBL pathway, so is there still a chance he could get it, or no? Also, he is looking into getiing an MD/MBA. What are your thougts on that? I would appreciate any advice or pointers you or anyone else might have. Thanks again!

Hi Thumper,
I am most likely going to be in your boyfriend's OSU class. As for PBL, it is doubtful he will be able to get in at this point..but contact them to be sure. There were 85 people in the PBL lottery. They can only take 35. I had my name in back in September and I only came up #25/31 women on the waitlist. Lady luck was not smiling on me that day. I haven't a prayer and they pretty much told me as much. They have a separate waitlist for men and women and there are undoubtably many more men than 31 on the waitlist (far more men than women at OSU). The letter they sent to me a couple of days ago said that in past yrs they took up to 20 total off the men and women's waitlists by the time school started. So there you have it. I am thinking of doing ISP but I suppose I will give lecture a look since they're supposedly making so many changes. Hope this was helpful. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thumper...what quaileggs said is true, but tell him not to sweat it...PBL ain't all that and a bag of chips :wink: The LD pathway is probably the most social and fun of the three pathways because you are arond more people, and the new curriculum will make it better.
As for the MD/MBA is is a new program that is starting next year. As of now they are only allowing 5 people per class to participate after their second year. I want to get my MBA down the line, but I am not sure I would have done it after my second year...too much book learning and not enough action. :D Still it will shave a year off of your school time (MBA usually two years.)
He should have a great time is school, it is a difficult road, but looking back on it was just as fun as my college years if not more so. Good luck to both of you, and if you need any more help/advice, let me know.

Guitarzan,
Regarding LD, tell me, what is the culture of OSU regarding lecture attendance? Do people faithfully attend lectures fearing they will miss important stuff or can you get by missing lectures when you want to? Do they give complete handouts ahead of time so you've got all the info with you or do they hand stuff out as you go along? The social aspect of lecture does appeal to me but I'm the type who doesn't always go to lecture and I live in Bexley, not in the immediate OSU vicinity What do you think? I hope this made sense. Thanks a lot.

HAHAHA--You didn't hear this from me but it is highly likely that you can miss a lecture or two or fifty. Look, when you get to med school there is no one holding your hand. You should want to learn the stuff because someday someone life might depend on it. (Corny I know but if you think of it this way it is very easy to motivate yourself.) Somethings are required, other are lightly attended there is a good mix. I ususally skipped the couple of days before the lecture to study--made more sense to me. I took a couple of long weekends. The important thing is to not get behind--work ahead if you are going to miss, a buddy can ususaly fill you in if something important occured in class.

Guitarzan,
Thank you so much for your valuable insight!
Since im going to probably decide between PBL and LD (im #5 on men's PBL waitlist), could you give us more info on the changes in the LD curriculum? Back in April the office wasnt so ready to discuss it with me :( . If others want to jump in, please do so!!!!!!! :)

Well, let's see. The biggest change will be switching to a systems based approach. Basically they are changing to a curriculum where you real both normal and pathophys. about a system at the same time. It used to be that all of first year was normal phys. biochem, etc about the entire body system. Second year was path., pathophys., and pharm about everything. I think the new approach is better because it will make the first year much more interesting, and make the second year much more tolerable. (Second year used to be a real bit%$.) Also, Physical diagnosis and medical humanities (where you learn about insurance, statistics, diversity, etc.) is going to be integrated over two years. Learn PE earlier and hopefully use it sooner. As always, Gross anatomy and embryology are the first twelve weeks for everyone. I'm on Student Council, and that is pretty much the gist of what they explained to us. I'm sorry I cannot give you better specifics. I do know that they are going to have all LD students part of small groups that work together to learn PE, interview skills, and do much more PBL learning than when I went through. There is also going to be a required longitudnal experience with a senior citizen, but I don't know the details. (This was recently mandated by some national accrediting organization or something) Anyway that is the best I can answer, hope it helps.

Guitarzan, that was brilliant. That's more detail than I've ever been able to get out of the "official" OSU representatives. It's great to hear directly from students. (pardon me..you're probably a doctor now!) You have made the new LD sound intriguing. Do you have any inkling whether ISP is also changing to integrate normal and pathophys or will it still be separated out? I v. much like the integration idea. Thanks again.

quaileggs -- from what i understand, there will be no changes to ISP or PBL, just LD

Hey-

I would just like to ask if any osu out-of -staters had any problems gaining residency after the first year. Sure they say it is easy, but is it really???

i'm applying for residency now. from what i hear, as long as you have everything in order, it's basically guaranteed. i've only heard of one person not getting residency on their first try.

What is having everything in order? Is it pretty much just as simple as getting Ohio license and registration? The application form talks about having enough "Ohio-based" income. How do loans figure in? Basically, I don't want to do something stupid now that will hurt me next year.

yes, you have register your car, get a driver's license, etc.

the most important thing is to prove all your income for next year is from the state of ohio. a lot of students start a new checking account here w/ $0 and max out on their loans. since the loans are in the student's name and they live in ohio, eveything works out. if you're planning to start a new account w/ some money (same a few grand), you have to prove that you "earned" the $ before you started school, and that it wasn't a "gift" (from say a parent) deposited into your account right before school starts. in that case, the school asks for checking account statements from up to 2 years back.

bottomline: to be safe, start a new checking account w/ no money and max out on loans.

hope this helps

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kibosh:
•What is having everything in order? Is it pretty much just as simple as getting Ohio license and registration? The application form talks about having enough "Ohio-based" income. How do loans figure in? Basically, I don't want to do something stupid now that will hurt me next year.•••••If the loans you get require you to be a resident from another state then you can't count that income. As salsadoc mentioned, only one person last year didn't get residency. From what I have heard, this person shared a checking account with a parent and they couldn't verify who the money belonged to. So, get your license, register to vote, register your car, have an account in YOUR name, and you should be OK.

The income issue -- you simply have to demonstrate that you have enough income from "Ohio" sources to meet your expenses. For loan money, the loan has to be in your name (and qualify as I described above). I'm applying for residency now as well and don't anticipate any problems. I'll let you know if any come up. :)

Thanks for the comments about the residency option. It would be a dangerous venture not gaining the ohio based aid!! So have you guys gone anywhere during the summer. Do you think that they would really nail you if you were outside the state for more than three weeks as stated?? That would pretty much kill travel opportunities for the last summer...

Just a note of curiousity... Did you guys also get into your own state schools?? Obviously you decided to go to OSU. Do you think that it was worth it and have you enjoyed the experience. What are some of the benefits to the school there that you had not envisioned before you got there???

Thanks!!!

Hey again-

Also, what's the word on the clerkship years there?? Do they offer alot of choices and freedom or are they restricted?? Do you know anybody that studied out of the state or in another country?? Are there many electives??

Thanks!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by medname:
•Thanks for the comments about the residency option. It would be a dangerous venture not gaining the ohio based aid!! So have you guys gone anywhere during the summer. Do you think that they would really nail you if you were outside the state for more than three weeks as stated?? That would pretty much kill travel opportunities for the last summer...
•••••I took some trips and have some planned for this summer but none were longer than 3 weeks so I didn't worry about it. I'm not certain *how* they could track it -- you're not under surveilance or anything. :)

•••quote:••••
Just a note of curiousity... Did you guys also get into your own state schools?? Obviously you decided to go to OSU. Do you think that it was worth it and have you enjoyed the experience. What are some of the benefits to the school there that you had not envisioned before you got there???

Thanks!!!•••••I did not get into my state school (Utah) but had decided to come to OSU prior to getting rejected. OSU's choice of curriculum was a big selling point and I've been very happy in the PBL program (fits my learning style well). My wife also got a fellowship to do graduate work in Statistics at OSU so it was a great match for both of us.
I've been very happy here so far - no regrets! I can't think of much by way of unforseen benefits (I had researched it pretty thoroughly). However, I have been extremely impressed with our class. There's a great mix of people who have many talents outside of academics. My wife made a great comment earlier in the year after meeting some of my friends from school: "Wow, those are some really cool people - they're not as nerdy as I pictured med students to be..."

Couple or more questions:

. Are they doing anything with Med 3 and 4? How have you felt with your experience in these years?

.Following from another thread, did you have/require a note-taking service?

.Hows the technology at osu? Are they bringing anything to the classroom etc?

Thanks!

Bump, and another question.

-I remember reading in more than one source that students at osu feel that the administration does little to participate in or encourage extracurricular activities. Your comments on that?

Guitarzan, What's up? Check your PM please, I need some help from a fellow buck-eyes fan! :D Talk to ya then! :p

BTW, anyone know if buying a condo will qualify you as a resident? My BF wants to do that, and if he could hit two birds with one stone, that would be great! :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Thumper:
•BTW, anyone know if buying a condo will qualify you as a resident? My BF wants to do that, and if he could hit two birds with one stone, that would be great! :D •••••I have a couple of friends who bought condos upon arriving in Columbus and apparently that doesn't have any effect on one's application for residency.

For all those interested, here's a link to OSU's FAQ about obtaining residency:

<a href="http://www.ureg.ohio-state.edu/ourweb/more/residency/resfaqs.html" target="_blank">Frequently Asked Questions about Residency</a>
That should answer a lot of questions.

BUMP! :wink:

OK, so maybe some of the Ohio residents could help me with this one. Where do people mostly shop for groceries, household goods, clothes, etc. Are there some main places people go (as in a mall or a huge shopping center?) or are there just private stores and boutiques? Also, do you guys have a Costco or a Target? Just wondering if those stores exist in Ohio as well. Thanks! :D

Thumper,
There are Targets all over town. No Costcos as far as I know. The main happening malls in Columbus right now are Easton and Polaris Fashion Place. I've only been to Polaris once but I admit I practically live at Easton. It's a nice, open air complex of restaurants, shops, movies. It's a great place to hang out, shop and meet your friends.It is safe and there is tons of parking. My health club is there too (Lifetime Fitness..it is awesome) Obviously where you shop depends on where you live. I live in Bexley which is on the East Side. Grocery stores are: Kroger, Big Bear, Meijer and the new one in town is Giant Eagle. There are Wal-Marts too but I've never set foot in one myself. Any other questions just ask or IM me. I've lived in Columbus for 14 years and I know it (too)well. :) It is quite livable.

Quaileggs, I sent you a PM. BTW, thanks for all that info, although I have never heard of most of those places! :wink: :D Hey, as long as there is a Target, then it's cool! :p

actually, there's a sam's club which is exactly like costco. kroger's is like luckys or safeway. big bear is another supermarket, and giant eagle is arguably the nicest supermarket around =) and yes, there is a target right next to school.

don't worry, ohio is very much like cali -- there's more than enough shopping for everyone

Whew, there is a Sam's Club too! :wink: Thanks Salsadoc. Anyone have any ideas on where to look for a relatively new 2 bd. condo for around 60K?

Oh yeah, SalsaDoc, how could I forget Lennox Center! :)

Since we're talking about what's in Columbus, OH... what banks do they have there? I've got a Wells Fargo account here in CA, and I doubt that this bank exists in OH. Am I wrong? What about Bank of America? Washington Mutual? Citibank?

unfortunately there's no Wells or BofA out here...you'll have to get used to Huntington, Fifth Third (the one in the hospital), Bank One, etc...

Darn... I've been a customer of Wells Fargo for over 10 years now (about half my life!). And now I have to change banks?!

Any free checking banks out there? :confused: :wink:

a lot of students use fifth third: there's free checking, and there's a branch/atm in the main hospital right next to the med school

Quaillegs, If you could give me the address of the place you were talking about, I would be very grateful.
Everyone else, I would really appreciate if you could let me know where the good neighborhoods are, since my BF will be visiting this weekend and possibly purchasing a condo. I just want to make sure he looks into the better areas, and doesn't fall into a 'money pit'. Also, if anyone has any ideas of where he can look or who he can speak to while he's there, that would be awesome. Thanks a lot! :wink:

Thumper,
Here you are: Chatham Village Condominium Assn.
996 Chatham Lane 459-8331
The neighborhoods I recommend that are close to OSU are : Upper Arlington (where Chatham Vlg is), Grandview, Clintonville,maybe Victorian Village or parts of the Short North.
Farther away:[suburbia all] Bexley (where I live), Dublin, Worthington, Gahanna, Hilliard
Wishing your boyfriend good luck finding a place! If you need anything else, contact me.