Books for 1st year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniPri

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is organ based. So come August, we will study all aspects of cardio/renal/resp. The book list for this one module is really long, so I am trying to find out which books would be really necessary.

1. What physiology book would be better to invest in – Medical Physiology/Guyton or Medical Physiology/Rhoades & Tanner?

2. Is it necessary to buy both the BRS and HY series? If no, which series would be better for which subjects? Also, doesn’t one have practice q’s and the other doesn’t?

3. Is it really necessary to buy a physio book for each section of the module? For example, is it a good investment to buy Cardio Pathophys/Lilly, Respiratory Phys/West, and Renal Phys/Vander for just one module? We will do the cardio/renal/resp module again in 2nd year with respect to path, pharm, and micro, so I know that I will have to review everything from year one again.

4. Do must med students invest in one book in addition to board review books in each subject? For ex, Histology/Ross?

Members don't see this ad.

For physiology of every organ system, I would get the long version of Costanzo. Two thumbs up!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought West for pulmonary was really good, but my professors lectured straight from it.

It's really best if you ask students at your school, because they will have the best idea of which texts are heavily used and which aren't. Keep in mind, often in order to use copywrite material from texts, a professor has to list it as a required textbook. Of course, that doesn't mean that they book will actually be helpful. So again, ask students at your school.

1. Guyton - it's the best and it has more than you can possibly read. Guyton actually figured out a lot of physiology and he writes well.
2. Don't buy both. BRS has questions, HY doesn't. BRS has more details. HY is good for cramming.
3. No need, Guyton has everything you need. Get the Costanzo (recommended above or the BRS) if you need more help.
4. Some texts are great, others aren't - talk to upper classmen at your school.