Books for 3 years of peds residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gk12321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the materials and books I should get at the start of my Peds residency? (prep for final board exam)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your residency should give you an AAP membership as a resident which will provide you yearly PREP question books. Additionally, people usually go with "Laughing Your Way" or "First Aid" to help supplement the PREP questions with text. I assume that is what you are referring to for the final board exam.

As for residency itself, I'm not sure a book will help you. Most residents are supplied with Harriet Lane, which I found the formulary to be extremely helpful, but that was in the days before computer orders and entry, so I'm not so sure it is as much value as it used to be. You should read up on the patients and diseases you encounter either via review articles or UpToDate (which people give flak to, but are fine review summaries and peer reviewed). For more broad, continuous reading, Peds in Review, which comes with the AAP membership as well, gives good summaries on various topics and is almost always board related. You can buy an actual textbook, but I think it of limited value for actual residency (with the exception of reading up on patients, but textbooks aren't very cost effective). I think I bought Nelson's and opened it maybe 3 times.

I really liked zitelli's. It has lots of pictures so I didn't fall asleep while reading it and the included electronic version has videos that made the developmental milestones make much more sense to me. It also lays out the syndromes nicely. I had one attending that said everything you need to pass the boards is in either zitelli's or red book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Red Book is also included with your AAP membership, so don't buy that. I like the Medstudy review series because it's a little more in depth than Laughing your way. The Philadelphia Guide I've found to be more useful than Harriet Lane for inpatient stuffs.

Reactions: 1 user
Peds in Review articles and PREP questions should be the majority of your studying in your first year. They are excellent review resources (and they are free). I have known many residents who undervalued the Peds in Review articles early in their residency and later wished they had used them more.
Zitelli's is excellent JUST for the pictures. I always flip through Zitelli's the week before ITEs.
MedStudy books are costly but one of the better single-source comprehensive board study books available. I used those and haven't found a better board review volume.
Laughing your way is good, but that's not something I would invest in until your final year of peds residency - it's too schematic for a new learner. A deep understanding of the material is needed first.