Books for entering 1st years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BONDFAN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to whether anyone out there has any suggestions on books to help make the 1st year's transition a little less painful. I have heard good things about the following and would appreciate any opinions or further recommendations:

Survival Guide for Medical Students
A Student-to-Student Guide to Medical School
How to Excel in Medical School
Study W/Out Stress: Mastering the Medical Sciences
The Med School Survival Guide
Medico Mnemonica

Members don't see this ad.

WOW, if you spend your time studying those books too much, you'll miss out on the #1 thing to do before you enter medical school

RELAX AND HAVE A GREAT SUMMER

seriously dude, relax and you'll be just fine.

Definitely don't waste the summer before M1 reading books about how stressful it's gonna be and how to manage. Just relax and you'll do great. If you really want to make your first year a little easier, pick up these supplemental books and save yourself from reading your million-dollar, thousand page textbooks and actually LEARN the stuff. But I forbid you to start reading them before school starts ;-)

BRS Gross Anatomy-CHUNG
Physiology-COSTANZO
Respiratory Physiology-WEST
Lippincott's Biochemistry
High Yield Immunology

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you can alwayz study, but you'll have plenty of time for that. Everyone knows that studying is the most important thing, no need for a book on that one. One book I think all med students should have is Iserson's. Good book to help you prep for residency selection etc.

PowderHound said:
Definitely don't waste the summer before M1 reading books about how stressful it's gonna be and how to manage. Just relax and you'll do great. If you really want to make your first year a little easier, pick up these supplemental books and save yourself from reading your million-dollar, thousand page textbooks and actually LEARN the stuff. But I forbid you to start reading them before school starts ;-)

BRS Gross Anatomy-CHUNG
Physiology-COSTANZO
Respiratory Physiology-WEST
Lippincott's Biochemistry
High Yield Immunology

Good Luck!

don't waste the little bit of free time that you have left

even if you read books about how to be good at med school, it won't be what you expect, so don't worry about it. seriously.

go drink some beers by a pool or something.

PowderHound said:
If you really want to make your first year a little easier, pick up these supplemental books and save yourself from reading your million-dollar, thousand page textbooks and actually LEARN the stuff. But I forbid you to start reading them before school starts ;-)
Good Luck!

Does it really help to study these instead of your textbooks? Or will these help you get the gist of things in addition to the textbooks?

GPACfan said:
Does it really help to study these instead of your textbooks? Or will these help you get the gist of things in addition to the textbooks?

Textbooks? Who needs textbooks? Lecture notes are your friends.

GPACfan said:

The problem with textbooks is that they can be way too detailed, and at least at my school, you can have up to ~100 pages of reading a night from the textbooks, and if you do all that, you'll never have time to actually learn the material. I have found that I actually read the supplemental books because it boils the 100 textbook pages down to about 10-20 readable pages, and they often clarifiy concepts that the textbooks can't seem to come right out and say. In addition, many of these books are also useful for Boards studying, and if you used them during your classes, you'll already be familiar with the style, etc. Textbooks can be useful, and I do wish I had time to appreciate them, but that doesn't seem to be the way medical school works.