Books for GRE general and GRE subject

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr GaGa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
It would be great to hear from all of you who recently took these two lovely exams and what books worked for YOU!

I am about to order my books for the GRE general and subject, but I am a little confused which ones work best, so I decided to ask for some help!!
I am planning to study on my own and see how it works. It would be really helpful to get right books that would bring the highest scores!

Thanks in advance :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I tried a lot of different prep books, and in the end my favorite was the official ETS prep book.

Welcome Dr. GaGa (love the name).

There are actually several recent threads on this topic so I would suggest searching for them. People had some great input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did! But I did not see anything concrete.. SO I thought it would be good to hear what exactly helped people to get the highest scores and look at the average :)

P.S. someone else might find it helpful, too.

These are the ones I'm thinking of:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=641993
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=639928

For instance, here's my reply on one of them:

I used three Kaplan books to study for the general test: the big book and CD, a vocab flashcard book and the GRE/GMAT math workbook and I got well above a 1500 (though, like FadedC I did not do well on the writing despite my journalism background but NO ONE seemed to notice/care). Other than that I was VERY happy with the Kaplan prep materials.

For the psych subject test I used the Princeton Review book which has very good overviews of the topics, as well as a practice test book by REA which has good in-depth explanations of the responses but not all of the material is applicable. I also found a very old and very cheap version of a Myers intro psych book which was helpful since I'd been out of school for a while. Scored a 760, so I guess it worked.

Hope that helps!

GRE -- official ETS book all the way... and supplement that w/ the CD included w/ registration and use the free CBTs available online from Princeton Review and Kaplan

Psych GRE -- a good psych textbook and supplement w/ Kaplan's psych GRE book (careful, though, b/c it does have some mistakes) and the test included w/ registration

reg GRE--combo of ETS and Kaplan, and a pack of vocab flash cards (highly recommended for fellow visual learners). Used both CDs a lot.

psych GRE--mostly Barons, which I found harder than the actual test, but great prep accordingly, and some Kaplan, which seemed easier than the actual test, and less thorough, but more accessible in format. I ended up making flash cards from the books though to memorize the names, which were my major weak spot, which helped a ton. Again, a good tip for visual learners.