Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Books for ICU month

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by texas_ute, Mar 30, 2004.

1. texas_ute

texas_ute Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a R2 about to start an medical ICU month.
    I already have 'the ICU Book'.
    Any other good books out there that would be more of a quick read, practical reference?
    I know there is a 'Critical Care Secrets' book, but I haven't heard if it is any good.

thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't bother with anything beyond the ICU Book in terms of written references. But do yourself a favor and get an Uptodate subscription. I definitely logged more hours on it during my ICU months than any other months.

Vents aren't that scary, all you really need is one quiet call night to read through the relevant ICU Book chapters to sound semi-intelligent in the morning when it comes time to tweak settings.

Other than that there's the usual slew of ICU voodoo studies. Steroids, drotrecogin, permissive hypercapnia/ARDSnet, weaning parameters, glycemic control, VAP prophylaxis, DVTs, etc.

4. vomer

vomer Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I am on my internal medicine rotation--I saved it for last since that is what I want to do--anyhow can you tell me what the ICU Book is (is that the real title?) and maybe what I can do to prepare for my MICU month as a student--(I am in the MICU in 2 months).

Thanks,
    Vomer

5. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

The ICU book seems to be pretty popular among sdners. It's written by Marino. I recently purchased a copy myself but haven't had a chance to look through it yet, my MICU rotation is in 1 month, so I will be sure to let you know how it is. :)

6. avendesora

avendesora Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just finished a month of MICU as a student. I borrowed Marino from the library -- glad I didn't buy it (it's like $65). It's a thick book and basically I didn't need or want to absorb a lot of it at a student level. As a resident it may be different.

I definitely will second the notion of getting yourself some access to UpToDate. We have a site-license and I used it literally every day before rounds to look up the minutia of the day. It's absolutely killer when your attending says "why don't you give us 5 minutes on myotonic dystrophy tomorrow".

I also second the notion of vents not being that scary. The first day will be rough, but by immersing yourself in the environment you'll learn really fast.

Lastly, in the ICU more than anything else, every attending will have their own style and techniques based on the latest stuff they've read. We had different attendings on the weekends and without fail they would contradict a lot of what we did during the week. Unless you're bent on CC, you can safely ignore some of this bleeding edge stuff.

Kalel -- I thought I was hardcore for doing a consult month in May while most of my classmates are going to the beach. You are truly a masochist :)

7. kinetic

kinetic Membership Revoked
    Removed

The ICU Book is a real book and it is also quite useless. It is a book that everyone buys because "everyone else has it". It does not tell you how to do things (e.g., how to place a central line), but rather focuses on things like how likely it will be that a complication will arise from said placement or the theory behind the Seldinger technique.

Save your money. If you have a good senior, they should help you through your ICU month. If you don't, this book won't change a thing.

Every person I know who has ever purchased the book (including myself) has used the book as a paperweight after the first day. If you REALLY don't want to believe me, then at least borrow it from someone first to verify that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

8. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

The MICU in May thing actually isn't my fault. We are required to do 2 sub-i's, one per semester, and the timing of these sub-i's is determined by a lottery system. May was of course, like most of my classmates, my last choice. I don't really mind it now though to tell the truth, hopefully, people should be pretty laid back in May. Consult months are better then vacation months to me. We were given 3 months off during fourth year, but I have only taken one (ie I'm on my second "extra" elective month right now). You just have to know how to pick them, right now, I'm doing cardiology at a private hospital where they provide free breakfast and lunch and the attending usually lets me out by 4 pm. I'd get bored just sitting on a beach. :)

9. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I liked Tarascon's internal medicine and critical care. It had alot of little facts and formulas. It's small, light, and inexpensive. I also liked up to date. If you get a group (5 or more, I think), you can get a discount on the subscription.