Books for PGY-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cockblockandrun

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-

I am starting my PGY-1 in 2 weeks and wanted to know what books were good for intern year- i.e. Harrisons, Marino's ICU, pocket medicine, etc. and would help with the segway to CA-1 year?

Also we have an anesthesia knowledge test to take the second week. Is this something to study for? Or is it better to get a low score and show improvement through the CA years? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just picked up Faust's Anesthesia Review and I'm loving it already. There is nothing like being able to ready a quick concise chapter on just about anything you can imagine. Seems to be a nice mix of basic sciece and medicine all from an anesthesia point of view.

This has been discussed many times - would do a search.

Most people would recommend:

- Millers baby anesthesia

- Morgan and Mickhale for more in depth reading

- then some kind of review book to read when you only have a few minutes here and there: Faust is great, Anesthesia Secrets is another

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey-

I am starting my PGY-1 in 2 weeks and wanted to know what books were good for intern year- i.e. Harrisons, Marino's ICU, pocket medicine, etc. and would help with the segway to CA-1 year?

Also we have an anesthesia knowledge test to take the second week. Is this something to study for? Or is it better to get a low score and show improvement through the CA years? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

If you want something useful for both IM and Anesthesiology, my recommendation would be Stoelting's Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease. When I was feeling burnt out during my IM year, I would read from this book. It's a pretty easy read.

the only books i am bringing to intern year (in a couple of days!) are marinos icu book, morgan/mikhail, baby miller (just 'cause i have it), and audio blue...when i am burnt out at least i can listen....and if i can find it, my washington manual.

the only books i am bringing to intern year (in a couple of days!) are marinos icu book, morgan/mikhail, baby miller (just 'cause i have it), and audio blue...when i am burnt out at least i can listen....and if i can find it, my washington manual.

How is the Audio Blue? I looked and it costs $650!

How is the Audio Blue? I looked and it costs $650!

In my opinion, not worth it. He wastes a fair amount of time touting his successes and coming up with these "stay positive" type or just strange comments. If I need a cheerleader I have other people.

However I know other people who like it.

Not meant to hijack this thread, but any good audio reviews out there? I figure with my drive to work and my frequent (maybe once a month) trips to see the parents, I could benefit.

i like audio blue. yes the letters and ranger runs, etc are annoying but are easily skipped on the cds.
luckily for me i picked up a used copy here on sdn for half that (plus the hard copy once he's done with boards in august). i don't know if it was worth 650 but i am happy with the 300 i spent. it isn't as easy to listen to in the car as goljan was because there are formulas, descriptions of regional anatomy, etc you really need to take notes on or have diagrams in front of you but its better than nothing. i think it will help me when i sit down and listen and take notes and then replay them later in the car (but so far i have been too lazy to do so enjoying my last few moments of freedom). at the end of a long day it is hard for me to sit and read something -- i will fall asleep -- so taking notes off audio blue will work for me.
aren't the boards coming up for everyone...afterwards some people will probably part with their copies here or ebay

Back to the original question. I think most people know about the Tarascon line of pocket books. Their "critical care" book can almost single handedly carry you through internship. Hell, if you were to memorize the thing you've practically finished a residency.

If you're lookng for a transition book, the baby M&M (as mentioned earlier)is good reading. Useless for your intern year, but priceless for your CA-1 year.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment more on the pgy 1 in-training exam? I heard someone say that it's not anesthesia at all but rather medicine. Do pgy 1 take the same exam as ca-1 or is it a totally different test?

Can anyone comment more on the pgy 1 in-training exam? I heard someone say that it's not anesthesia at all but rather medicine. Do pgy 1 take the same exam as ca-1 or is it a totally different test?

Same exam. If you have a good background of general medicine, it will gain you some extra points. It is a very difficult exam with a wide breadth of topics.

what is the actual name of "baby miller." it would be nice to know the real name because there are a million aneshtesia books out there by "miller."

thanks.

just starting? GREAT OVERVIEW BOOKS THAT ARE NOT HARD READS.....Must have the faust book. After that, Mills basic and Anesthesia secrets goood to get a great overview.