Books for Pimp questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowfox87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've looked all over SDN and all I can find are really old threads about this. The book lists are outdated as well. I'm not talking about Step 2 preparation or boards. I am just wondering is there any books out there that have a list of commonly asked on-the-spot questions during clinical rotations from doctors?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've looked all over SDN and all I can find are really old threads about this. The book lists are outdated as well. I'm not talking about Step 2 preparation or boards. I am just wondering is there any books out there that have a list of commonly asked on-the-spot questions during clinical rotations from doctors?

good question. I haven't done Internal Med or Surgery yet, but I've been told that Pocket Med and Surgical Recall are awesome for pimp questions

Surgery recall for surgery. Pestana Audio (illegal but widely available) is a great primer.

Read through case files in advance and you'll get most of the OB questions.

For medicine you pretty much need to read through the relevant up to date article on every patient you're seeing. I don't think that there's a good pocket reference for that wide a range of conditions.

Ditto for peds, though memorizing the 'milestones' section of blueprints will go a long way towards making you look competent.

For Neuro memorize the guidelines for thrombolyitic therapy and hope they don't ask anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
For medicine you pretty much need to read through the relevant up to date article on every patient you're seeing. I don't think that there's a good pocket reference for that wide a range of conditions.

Agree for med uptodate/dynamed are your best friends. I used the saint-Frances guide though and thought it was spectacular for guiding decisions/answering questions. Fits in your pocket.

Sabatine's medicine ("the green book") was useful for answering most pimping questions on my medicine clerkship. That's especially true if you can't get to a computer (or god-forbid your institution does not have an up-to-date subscription).