Books for psychiatry residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books do you recommend definitely reading during psych residency? I'm looking to fill several niches: psychopharm, interviewing, and therapy. I'd also like to read one big textbook that provides a lot of comprehensive knowledge (would that be Kaplan and Saddock)? What are some high-yield, interesting books you'd recommend for intern year and also some longer books that should be read by the end of residency in order to achieve well-rounded knowledge? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I was about to ask similar question but from PGY-IV standpoint. We got about 7 months left in residency. What are you current PGY-IVs reading? I'm thinking of focusing on basics. Maybe the Kaplan & Sadock study guide that goes along with their comprehensive textbook of psychiatry. Or Kaufmans clinical neurology for psychiatrists. What about reading the comprehensive textbook of psychiatry (selectively)?
Amazon product; Amazon product

1) Fish's psychopathology (I know Splik will disagree about the current edition, but I love it). This has helped me so much with consistency in my mental status exam. The book is an easy read and readily referenced.
2) For the basics of psychopharm: Stahl's (textbook and prescriber's guide). Just be aware that he portrays a lot of material is fact that is in reality handwaving; but it's great for the basics
3) I 100% agree with Kaufman's. Great book, written at about the PGY2 beginning neuro resident level. I still use it for reference to neuropsych issues. It's reasonably up to date as well
4) I have generally found most textbooks too cumbersome to read; straight through, and even as a reference they are usually out of date/incomplete, so I look for reviews on PubMed on issues that come up or on which I have questions.
5) If you have the stamina and fortitude, Kraepelin (both Dementia Praecox and Manic Depressive Insanity). Kraepelin is still the master of descriptive psychiatry; and reading those two texts really helped me appreciate how rich and important the concept of the Kraepelinian Dichotomy is and the limits it poses. There are also a lot of great articles recently published re-examining the dichotomy using some of the advances in genetics/neuroscience research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
in addition to the good advice from the previous posters, I would say that a large part of your intern year should be to just focus on whatever non-psychiatry rotation you're on while you're on it, and read standard sources (or even just up-to-date) from those fields (i.e. medicine, neurology, peds, etc...)

The book everyone should start with: DSM-5. The real thing, not the desk reference. If you want a good understanding of diagnosis and phenomenology, that's where to start. It is reductionist and inadequate to drive clinical treatment, but that's a good thing here. You want to understand the core diagnostic structure of our specialty and the descriptive rationale behind it before you start getting off into the weeds.

Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists
Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy
Tarascon Pharmacopoeia

I'm sure we've had many threads on this

my recommended texts for the beginning resident are:

The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines (by far the most useful psychopharm text)
Stahl's Prescriber's Guide
Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology
Symptoms in the Mind (older editions are better)
Neurological Examination Made Easy

Also suggest:
The Psychiatric Interview in Clinical Practice (old edition will do)
Uncommon Psychiatric Syndromes
Extraordinary Disorders of Human Behavior
Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia
Dementia Praecox or the Group of Schizophrenias

For later in residency one should focus on case formulation and my recommendations would be from:

Cabaniss DL, Cherry S, Douglas CJ, Graver R, Schwartz AR. Psychodynamic Formulation. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, 2013

Campbell WH,, Rohrbaugh RM. The Biopsychosocial Formulation Manual: A guide for mental health professionals. New York: Routledge, 2006

Chisholm MS, Lyketsos CG. Systematic Psychiatric Evaluation: A Step-by-Step Guide to Applying the Perspectives of Psychiatry. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012

Johnson L, Dallos R. (Eds.) Formulation in Psychology and Psychotherapy: Making Sense of People’s Problems. New York: Routledge, 2014

McHugh PR, Slavney PR. The Perspectives of Psychiatry 2nd ed. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1998

McWilliams N. Psychoanalytic Case Formulation. New York: Guildford Press, 1999

Persons JB. The Case Formulation Approach to Cognitive-Behavior Therapy. New York: Guildford Press, 2008

As a general text Kaplan and Sadock is best. the APA Textbook of psychiatry is just awful (I think they were in a hurry to get it out for the new DSM that it has major omissions of what I would consider important aspects of psychiatry that prevent its use as a survey text).

Also would recommend reading my 100 papers

Papers on conceptual issues in psychiatry I recommend:
Bracken P, Thomas P, Timimi S et al. Psychiatry beyond the current paradigm. Br J Psychiatry 2012; 201:430-434

Eisenberg L. The social construction of the human brain. Am J Psychiatry 1995; 152:1563-1575

Engel GL. The need for a new medical model: a challenge for biomedicine. Science 1977; 196:129-36

Ghaemi SN. The rise and fall of the biopsychosocial model. Br J Psychiatry 2009; 195:3-4

Insel TR. Quirion R. Psychiatry as a clinical neuroscience discipline. JAMA 2005; 294:2221-2224

Kandel ER. A new intellectual framework for psychiatry. Am J Psychiatry 1998; 155:457-469

Kandel ER. Biology and the future of psychoanalysis: a new intellectual framework for psychiatry revisited. Am J Psychiatry 1999; 156:505-524

Kendler K. Toward a philosophical structure for psychiatry. Am J Psychiatry 2005; 162:433-440

Kendler KS. Explanatory models for psychiatric illness. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:695-702

Szasz T. The myth of mental illness. Am Psychol 1960; 15:113-118

Wakefield JC. The concept of mental disorder: on the boundary between biological facts and social values. Am Psychol 1992; 47:373-388

Reactions: 2 users
I like Psychodynamic Theory for Clinicians - it doesn't talk a lot about specific techniques, but provides a good overview that helped me incorporate psychodynamic ideas in my everyday therapeutic conversations with patients.

I also like A Therapist's Guide to Brief CBT. This is more brief and high-yield with a focus on specific techniques that you can use every day as a psychiatrist as an adjunct to your pharmacotherapy.

Of course, Stahl's and K&S are the classics.

Speaking of comprehensive texts, I know that K&S is the most popular by far, but does anyone have an opinion on Tasman and Co's 2-volume psychiatry textbook? Amazon product
I've read selected topics from it, and it's a lot more readable than K&S. But I'm just an MS2, so I have no idea how comprehensive it actually is - which is why I'm asking.

For understanding suicide, I wholeheartedly agree with OPD's recommendation for Shea's The Practical Art of Suicide Assessment and would also add Thomas Joiner's Why People Die By Suicide.

For CBT, I like Clark's and Beck's Cognitive Therapy of Anxiety Disorders: Science and Practice quite a bit. For psychodynamic conceptualization and therapy, I agree with the recommendations for books by Cabaniss and McWilliams. Two other texts which help me in my understanding and approach to patients are Miller's and Rollnick's Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change and Yalom's Existential Psychotherapy.

I had exposure to lots of things in child fellowship that really should have been a part of general psych training. Go back in time and read things by Jung and Bowlby. Learn about transactional analysis. "Games People Play" by Eric Burne should be read by all of us. I will list more specifics when I get home, because I want to get a few of the previous books mentioned too.

Do everything you can to learn all that other stuff beyond descriptive psych and psychopharm. Otherwise, you will miss tons of stuff.

I wanted to add a MUST HAVE (or at least a must have access to) for every psychiatrist/psychiatry resident: The ASAM Principles of Addiction Medicine. This is ASAM's comprehensive textbook written and edited by the best minds in addiction medicine, addiction psychiatry, and a lot of other great figures (eg, Dr Edward Domino, an anesthesiologist who published extensively on PCP in the 60s and 70s and did a lot of groundbreaking work that led to advances our understanding of the importance of the glutamatergic system wrote the chapter on dissociatives). I actually think that it is much more comprehensive, practical, and clinically useful than the AAAP textbook. Even though the book itself is almost 2000 pages it is a great reference for anything and everything addiction related. It is well cited, so if one wants to read more in a certain area, he or she knows where to look. Most med school libraries should have it, so I would definitely use it (the $225ish price tag hurts, and there will be a new version in 2-3 years).