Books for Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arin91

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
What are some good prep books for Rad Onc. Are there any short study books like recall, Secrets, etc.... Just want to learn a little before meeting with attendings for possible reasearch.

Good luck to all who are applying.

Thank you
arin

Members don't see this ad.

So actually, the closest thing to a "washington manuel" for rad onc is the now woefully outdated Coia book. If you are talking research projects, it's probably too simplistic for you.

But as a (very) general review, its good.

you also look at www.cogentmedicine.com to see whats out there on a lot of topics. Threre are good current publications and editorials on the more major ones.

Also doing a pubmed.gov search for reveiw articles is a good idea.

Although there has been much discussion of helpful rad onc books, I haven't seen anyone talking about imaging books. Has anyone found a useful book of cross secional anatomy with CT and MRI images? I know there is an imaging atlas by Weir...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, that's a great question. Would a cross-sectional or other imaging book be useful to a starting Rad Onc resident? If so, which one?

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering if anyone has used and has comments about the Fleckenstein book Anatomy in Diagnostic Imaging? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...UTF8&coliid=IGHG77BF5EIMN&colid=2GYH963P6YCXN
It looks similar to the Weir/Abrahams atlas.

Also, I'd appreciate comments on the following general Rad Onc texts (I saw the other comments on Leibel):

Cox: Moss' Radiation Oncology: Rationale, Technique, Results
C. C. Wang: Clinical Radiation Oncology : Indications, Techniques, and Results

Thanks again.

stephew said:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-5985514-3632742?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 (abrahams taught at sgu). there is a pocket series i have ill have to look up too.

An excellent pocket book was recommended by a rads friend of mine. I bought it and agreed. Not comprehensive, but excellent to keep in your pocket and probably enough for rad onc purposes.

"Pocket Atlas of Body CT Anatomy" by W. Richard Webb (2nd edition)

Also another book in the series: Pocket Atlas of Normal CT Anatomy of the Head and Brain

COhiker said:
Cox: Moss' Radiation Oncology: Rationale, Technique, Results
C. C. Wang: Clinical Radiation Oncology : Indications, Techniques, and Results

I really like how the Cox book is organized and presented. Easy to read (at least compared to Perez in my opinion). I think I will definitely add it to my textbook reading for residency.

Thaiger brings up a good point that the Perez and Brady text is not very readable, although it is considered the "bible" of radiation oncology. Thaiger mentioned the Cox text, whose latest edition came out last year I believe, is pretty readable. The new edition of the Leibel text is due out this month. I know the Gunderson text is suppose to be readable, but the most recent edition is from 2000 and might be already getting a little outdated. So, what is the most readable up to date rad onc text for a beginning resident? (any thoughts Steph?). Thanks.

the sectional anatomy pockt book i recommend is Moeller and Reif; there are two volumes but its still compact. It does both CT and MRI

as for texts: there is no "one bible" per se; Perez is great to see sims. Not for reading text on treatment. Leibel and Gunderson and both very strong. I personally dont find Cox great on the meat and potatoes but there good bits on some related topics (ie the surgery or the chemo).

Dont be mislead- all texts are outdated by the time you get them. I did a chapter for a Cancer of the CNS for Black and Loeffler. I finished it 1 1/2 years ago and its out this october. You dont buy a text to get the most current info but the basics of the topic.

For a new resident id say leaf through gunderson and leibel and see which you like; often some chapters are better in one and others in the other. Remember your PD will likely buy you your texts and you can always go to the resident's libe for other chapters. Finally get a proactive cheif who can arrange a drug company to get you a book stipend. See if you can get your chair to match it etc. Lots of ways around this stuff.

So Steph, which cross-sectional anamtomy book do you recommend as best, the Weir and Abrahms book or the Moeller and Reiff books. I think the Weir and Abrahms book is a textbook while the Moeller/Reif is a pocket atlas. Which is best for a starting Rad Onc resident? Prices are below:

Meoller/Reif sectional anatomy vol. 1: $37.05
vol. 2: $37.05

Wier/Abrahms book: about $40

There is also a single Moeller/Reif pocket book called Pocket Atlas of Radiographic Anatomy for $37.95. Not sure if this one is as useful.

I dont know if i call Weir and Abrahms a "text" cos its rather thin and soft covered. I think that really either will do though. Decide if you like a bigger book or the pocket atlas.

I know we have kind of beaten this subject to death, but I have 2 more questions. My rad onc residency program does not supply us with textbooks, however my TY program gives me a $1500 educational fund that I need to spend (I have $1100 left). I want to make sure I get the right books with this money. I have heard Gunderson is a great book and the residents at my program tend to use this book, but the last edition is the year 2000 (next edition due out in 2006). Is it worth spending $230 on Gunderson since it may be a bit outdated? Also, is the Halperin pediatric rad onc book a good idea (costs about $130). Thanks all. I appreciate everyone's input.

AlexanderJ said:
I know we have kind of beaten this subject to death, but I have 2 more questions. My rad onc residency program does not supply us with textbooks, however my TY program gives me a $1500 educational fund that I need to spend (I have $1100 left). I want to make sure I get the right books with this money. I have heard Gunderson is a great book and the residents at my program tend to use this book, but the last edition is the year 2000 (next edition due out in 2006). Is it worth spending $230 on Gunderson since it may be a bit outdated? Also, is the Halperin pediatric rad onc book a good idea (costs about $130). Thanks all. I appreciate everyone's input.

Again, youre never going to get the most up to date info from a text anyway. Look at Leibel, Gundersen, Perez and Cox as see which one floats your boat. The best thing? Everyone get a different book (unless there is a resident library). I wouldn't buy Halperin if its on the shelf too unless you want to go into peds onc. I can't believe your program wont supply texts. Talk to your chief about getting drug companies to sponsor you for books too and your PD/Chair to match funds. Dont let them be cheap to you.

Hey,

I'm going to start my rad onc rotations in July and August, and I have zero background so far. From what I gather, I need to go ahead and try to buy and read Coia's book. Should I get a cancer staging guide, and if so, which one? Should I get a CT Atlas now, or wait till if I match? Same question for the textbook - now or after matching?

I guess all this a drop in the bucket compared to med school so far, but the Step II tests are killing my budget (especially CS!), and I only want to buy now what I need.

Thanks for your advice,

Simul

Get Coia but now is not the time to by a CT atlas or a text. When you match you may have these bought for you by your program and all programs should have them in their library anyway.

I also recommend that students and residents use www.uptodate.com and www.nccn.com guidelines and read them before they see each patient.
steph

SimulD said:
Hey,

I'm going to start my rad onc rotations in July and August, and I have zero background so far. From what I gather, I need to go ahead and try to buy and read Coia's book. Should I get a cancer staging guide, and if so, which one? Should I get a CT Atlas now, or wait till if I match? Same question for the textbook - now or after matching?

I guess all this a drop in the bucket compared to med school so far, but the Step II tests are killing my budget (especially CS!), and I only want to buy now what I need.

Thanks for your advice,

Simul

Since you're on a budget and elective rotations are only 1-2 months long, you can easily get by by checking out rad onc textbooks from the library and using them for your rotation. You not expected to know everything about rad onc inside out as a med student. It's more economically to wait for you residency program to pay for them if they do that. Besides, residency will be 2-3 years away for you and who knows which new editions will come out by then. I think buying a staging manual is definitely overkill at your stage. Coia is about 50 bucks, not exactly cheap. If you can check it out at the library, then would be great.

my 2 cents.